Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 00:27   #1

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1
Opinions on the Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 47

Hi
Searching and considering a newish 2010+ 43 to 50 foot monohull and have been looking at the Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 47.
Does anyone have an experience or opinions on it. Specifically as a live aboard for a couple in the Med and then some blue water cruising after that. I would appreciate both the good and bad.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:50   #2

Re: Opinions on the Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 47

I was looking at the bigger sister last year and visited the yard. Good boats , well built and nothing that I could find fault with. Good attention to detail and well put together. Would be great for the med - master cabin is forward which is better for med (ass in) mooring.

Would have no issues taking one anywhere.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 00:36   #3

I’m assuming you looked at the 48. Did you buy it?
Old 05-07-2019, 01:34   #4

I was looking at the 58. Why didn't I go for it? Wanted something a little bigger. Cruising with 2 teenagers, their friends, my friends etc and felt I needed that 4th cabin (The 58 has 3). Even if I don't use the 4th cabin it can always be used for extra storage on long trips.

I like their new 42 - I'm a modern kind of guy and the styling appeals to me (large, bright interiors). If they brought out a bigger version of that I would have been very interested.

They are nice boats and well built and engineered. Spoke to a couple of owners and they love them. The yard is also small so they give you a lot of attention and service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
I’m assuming you looked at the 48. Did you buy it?
Old 05-07-2019, 11:44   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

We bought a Jeanneau 49DS in Croatia. It was the 4 cabin version, but we converted the frwd 2 into an owners cabin. We had 8 people on board at times but some slept on deck, or on the salon table. One thing I noticed, is the heat from the sun shining in all that glass is unbearable in summer! We applied 3m's reflective film to fix the problem. A true piothouse design breaks the salon/ galley/ dining into 2 rooms. Not my favorite layout. Jumping from a 48' to 58' boat is effectively doubling the weight, sail area, expense, fuel consumption, maintenance, etc. I feel the 49 is plenty big, comfy, and sails really well.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 13:36   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

We have had our PS40 for 11 years. You would not regret buying the 47 or 48. Basically the same boats. They are designed to sail around the world.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 18:42   #7

Thanks for all the feedback. I would especially appreciate any comments from an owner of a 47 or anyone who has had some time on one. Just trying to work out the best design for us. Pilothouse versus standard aft cockpit etc
Old 05-07-2019, 20:11   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

The 47 is just a bigger 40, which we have. If you never want to race then the Pilot Saloon is the way to go. When at anchor you can see what is going on around you, rather than looking at the inside of the hull. And the 47 has the advantage of an aft cockpit which is bigger than a centre cockpit and nicer to sail the boat from.
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 00:22   #9

Cavok - Concur with John here. Pilot Soloon every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Williams View Post
The 47 is just a bigger 40, which we have. If you never want to race then the Pilot Saloon is the way to go. When at anchor you can see what is going on around you, rather than looking at the inside of the hull. And the 47 has the advantage of an aft cockpit which is bigger than a centre cockpit and nicer to sail the boat from.
Old 15-07-2019, 06:12   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Hi
Searching and considering a newish 2010+ 43 to 50 foot monohull and have been looking at the Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 47.
Does anyone have an experience or opinions on it. Specifically as a live aboard for a couple in the Med and then some blue water cruising after that. I would appreciate both the good and bad.
When both the Wauquiez 47 and the Jeanneau 49DS were launched at the Düsseldorf boat show I looked at both very closely. I loved the W47 but it was much more expensive than the 49DS. If I could have afforded one I probably would have done so.

However, in the end, some time later, I ended up buying a 49DS second hand. For the reasons that Cruisers & Sailing Forums - View Profile: SteveSadler gives I am very happy with the choice.

That said, I still admire the W47 and I am sure I would have been delighted with that. Albeit, that the Moody 45DS is a much more radical design.

I use the boat in the Med and would reinforce what has been said about size. Do you really, really need more than 15m? Mooring and in other senses it is a financial tipping point. The 49DS, ironically mine is the actual one that was at the boat show in Germany, has every creature comfort that I can think of. Well, there is no dishwasher other than yours sincerely.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 18:27   #11

I brought a second hand wauquiez 47, yes brilliant boat , good sea boat , stable ,mine was a shole ,draft 1.8 lead keel longer keel than the deep keel . Top speed was off Italy 9.6 knots I move the boat from Turkey ,next stop Italy , then I sailed back to uk , ended up divorced ,had to sell my beatiful boat
Floatingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 09:43   #12

Hi,
I'm desperate to buy a Wauquiez 47, there were 2 or 3 for sale for the whole of last year but now everything has been sold.
Is your boat definitely gone?
Do you know of any for sale?
thanks,
Rogersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 06:40   #13

Hi,
I have loads of detailed questions about the Wauquiez 47. I've been on the later 48 but not a 47. it's things like: is the deck storage adequate with no lockers within the cockpit seats? - where do you keep the fenders?
Is the stern lazarette enormous? It doesn't look that big in any of the pictures I've seen and I know that this has been substantially altered for the later 48's
The sheet handling in the cockpit looks a bit haphazard with those after-thought canvas bags usually fitted to hold the sheets. Does this work OK? i have other questions but these will do for now.
Thanks
Rogersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 07:24   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I remember being massively impressed when I saw the Wauquiez 47 on release at the Dusseldorf boat show. My wife loved it. Sadly, it was way beyond my means.

However, because of my interest in it I did make a copy of the Yachting World December 2005 Review. To save you searching here is a link to my file:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqLwtI1czSAlldpr...6hQlg?e=sPEcnG

Think that might be two to the same but that is what happens with this antediluvian program when you click insert a link.

BTW, right next to it at the same show was the also newly released Jeaneau 49DS. Some years later I ended up buying the very one that I had seen at the show. We have been very happy with her. Be even more happy if Covid regulations were not stopping me getting to Italy and not getting on board.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 08:36   #15

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alita49DS View Post

However, because of my interest in it I did make a copy of the Yachting World December 2005 Review. To save you searching here is a link to my file:

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AqLwtI1czSAlldpr...6hQlg?e=sPEcnG
Pardon the interruption from a non-Wauquiez owner, but that sure looks like one hell of a boat. I love how they've tried to make that pilot saloon more aerodynamic than the traditional dog house.

Someone made a comment about the sun coming through the glass and heating things up... would a tinted glass option help in that case?

(Where I sail, there are about 20 days a year when "too hot" is ever a problem, but I say that never having cooked in a pilot saloon)
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
saloon