Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2018, 14:23   #16

Boat: None
Re: Opinions on this project boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
I second what Peregrine says. If you cannot afford that much right now, then save, save, save.

I have done multiple full refits on boats from 35 to 60 feet. For myself and also for clients and one thing I have seen all over the world that is a constant... Lot's of low cost "deals" bought by dreamers are still sitting rotting in the yard or attached to a moss covered mooring long after those dreamers went bankrupt and belly up. Can't tell you how many 20k "deals" I've seen that ended up breaking the bank and the spirit of those fine people. The dry storage near me alone has a few hundred just slowly dying in the sun.

Keep your enthusiasm but put a lock on your wallet until the right boat comes along. Cheers mate!

That is great advice that I will follow. I would love if I could keep in touch with you. Truly I was planning on starting the Boat hunt in Nov Dec and try and find something by Feb.. I will have a budget but don't want to get into a situation where I can't even sail it before I run out of funds. I will private message you and share my contact info with you if that is ok.. Your experience refitting I'm sure would be invaluable.
DV
Danvrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 15:33   #17

Boat: Pearson

The equipement and basic boat looks great. A lot of good advice given. The refit in the present location could prove costly, more than the owner estimates. Why did he move on? Take your $45,000 and move on and refit a better boat for $10, or less and sail. My unvarnised opion.
Old 28-06-2018, 16:14   #18

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrgs View Post
I will private message you and share my contact info with you if that is ok.. Your experience refitting I'm sure would be invaluable.
DV
No problem. Feel free to PM me.

And remember... there are literally thousands of boats for sale out there just begging for your money. You, only want one, but they all want your hard earned dollars. Cash is king. And take notes on negotiating from Rick on TV's Pawn Stars.

Cheers!
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 20:26   #19

This boat would cost you 20K to dumb it ... the guy should pay you 10K to take it off his hands, and it would still take a 100k to fix, but it would still be a CS 44 which by the way I have never heard of ... it's possible but whenever did CS do one of's

"...run away, run away ..."
T-Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 20:56   #20

Seller should fully pay you the disposal costs but even then its an iffy proposition. If you have no job and plenty of DIY skills you could break even (barely). Otherwise it is lose-lose for you.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, project