Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2024, 19:25   #1

Boat: Downeaster 38
Opinions Please

When looking at used boats on a modest budget would you buy the boat you like the most in not so perfect condition, or the boat that is acceptable and in great condition?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 21:04   #2

Re: Opinions Please

If your budget is $30K you go one way, if it $500K you go another way.

Note well that most people can find the money to BUY a cheap boat, far fewer people can find the money to KEEP a cheap boat.

The fundamental rule is to never buy a boat for more money than you can walk away from with a smile still on your face.

A subsidiary rule is that you do not want EVER to be a boat's LAST owner! You can't just abandon a boat, and disposal is expensive!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 21:09   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

That depends on what you mean by "not so perfect."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 21:33   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

It is almost always cheaper to buy a boat in good condition than it is to buy a not so perfect and fix it.

It really will depend on what "not-so-perfect" means. If all that is wrong is cosmetic stuff and you can live with an boat with such imperfections, then that is great. If there are equipment issues, hull issues, electrical issues, they will be much more expensive to fix than to buy a boat that doesn't have those issues.

I would assume that "on a budget" means you are not ready to spend $$$$ on fixing the boat after purchase. So buy the boat that doesn't need the work.
Old 08-02-2024, 22:07   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Most bargain boats never get fixed.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 02:36   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 419

R U going do the work yourself or have yard do it?

If you take the cost est of the work a yard would charge off the value and do it yourself take that one.

But this will take time away from sailing.
Jimbo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 04:16   #7

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

Some people buy boats to have a project: they like working on boats.

Some people buy boats to go places.

Never forget the used boat rule of thumb:

If the boat is operational when you buy it, you still need 30% of purchase price (minimum) to spend on it. Then another 20% of the boats value spent each year to keep it that way. Sometimes that 20% is SAVED UP for big things like Standing Rig, engine or Sails.

If the boat is NOT operational expect to spend the purchase price to make it that way.

If the boat was "free": you cannot afford to fix it.

The above "rule of thumb" ideas are simply to illustrate that purchasing a boat is NEVER the cost of buying the boat, but only one step in the process.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:25   #8

Boat: Mirage 35

When I was shopping I saw a number of similar boats in various level of repair; one was 20 or 30% more than the others but still within my budget, and was clearly better maintained and had more recent upgrades. I asked myself how I wanted to spend my time - sailing or doing (or paying for) boat repairs. Sailing was my preference.

Then I talked to an experienced friend and described the differences. He brought it back to money: The one boat had a full like new set of sails - that's $$$. It had a new diesel - that's $$$$. It had reasonably new electronics - that's $$.

We bought the well maintained boat, sailed it away, and touched nothing the first season. Since then it has been routine maintenance. I mentally thank the previous owner for all his work every time I step on the boat.
Old 09-02-2024, 04:47   #9

Good thoughts here

If anyone wants to chime in on my case more specifically I am looking at two exceptional 80s Catalina 34, and then there’s a mid 90s Catalina 36 mkii that is probably little below average condition (not a restoration project by any means)
Old 09-02-2024, 05:31   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Good thoughts here

If anyone wants to chime in on my case more specifically I am looking at two exceptional 80s Catalina 34, and then there’s a mid 90s Catalina 36 mkii that is probably little below average condition (not a restoration project by any means)
Sounds like you are a little new to this type of vessel. I have no idea what your definitions of "exceptional" or "below average" are, they may be very different than mine. This may help ...
Marine Survey 101, pre-survey inspection
Old 09-02-2024, 05:34   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It's not so simple. For example, are the projects on the boat that needs work things you can tackle yourself? If not, double any cost estimates you get on fixing that stuff. On the other side, do the boats that are better actually better? For example, I see lots of boats advertising extensive equipment lists of things that are out of date, no longer repairable, or just stuff I really don't want or need. If you buy a boat that needs some updating you can then add the electronics you want, the sails you want, etc. Plus, no matter what the description says, you can count on every boat needing work to get it into cruising shape, even if the boat is brand new! In fact, new boats often cost a lot to get into cruising shape because they don't come with things like proper anchoring gear for cruising. You can easily spend $4-5 grand to bring your anchoring gear up to cruising standard. It is a multifaceted calculation that will be different for each buyer and boat looked at. How much experience do you have and do you know what you are getting into with restoration/repairs?
Old 09-02-2024, 06:05   #12

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

On a 30-40 year old boat, assuming it is otherwise generally structurally sound, I would say the two most important components are the inboard diesel engine and the sails. Make sure the engine runs well and does not overheat, or leak too much, and make sure it has a good selection of sails in usable shape. Almost everything else is relatively inexpensive to DIY repair or upgrade. For structure, check the bulkheads, keel bolts, and rudder. I suspect most boats that age have some moisture in the deck in places, so don't be surprised with the survey results.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 06:12   #13

This is going to be my first cruising sailboat, but probably my 10th boat overall.

I have had a handful of 12-20 foot day sailors and several power boats. Including one heavily used Bayliner 2452. I bought that one at first sight without a survey lol... It was basically all I could afford at 25 years old. That boat was POS, but we absolutely loved it.

These 34s are what I would consider "brisol". They have been constantly updated and show very few defects beyond some wear on cabin sole etc... The kind of boats where the owner purchased sunbrella covers for the cabin top wood handrails.

The 36 mkii has had cabin leaks that left cosmetic damage behind and some upgrades that need completed. Giant logo on the hull I would need to attempt to remove... It also has some bright spots like a pretty new auto pilot.

I will be investing in a survey on any boat.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:17   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

If this is your first cruising sailboat I would go for one that is sailable now, and the lowest cost. With the assumption every boat will need some work. You will learn a lot about what is good, bad, and what you want in a cruising sailboat, without spending a ton of money. Don't buy a boat that needs something major like a new engine or all new sails. You want something that is relatively turn-key. Consider this a learning experience.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:44   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Opinions Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post

The 36 mkii has had cabin leaks that left cosmetic damage behind and some upgrades that need completed. Giant logo on the hull I would need to attempt to remove... It also has some bright spots like a pretty new auto pilot.

I will be investing in a survey on any boat.
Skip the 36.. if the deck and cabin leaks show cosmetic damage to the veneers it's odds on its a lot worse under the veneer.. a newish AP is small compensation for hidden flaws.. Go 34..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease