Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2005, 22:54   #1

Opinions Wanted: Freeport Islander 41' Ketch

My name is Chad, and I am considering the purchase of a nice well found Freeport 41 (1976). I love the spacious interior, lighting, layout, and much above deck as well. However, as I move in to seriously consider my purchase, lots of sailors are trying to steer me away from her. They mention problems beating upwind, the large windows/danger of sinking, beamy-ness, etc. We are planning on using the boat for a multi year voyage that would probably include a transpacific crossing, as well as California to Caribean coastal cruising.

If they are anywhere, I am hoping that this site can answer these concerns I have heard. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I have looked at many many boats!

Best regards,

Chad and Carolyn
aaronirene74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 09:23   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Get the best survey you can

Hi Chad,

Don't let you eyes over rule common since!

Although I don't know a lot about the Freeport, I do know a lot about old boats.

A 1976 are the early years of the fiberglass sailboats. Most were solid hulls making them stiff and heavy. Also there was a blistering problem in those years do to the change in resins.

If your going to be crossing oceans then the rigging will have to be in top condition (almost new) as well as a good set of sails for different conditions.

Then there is the motor. What year and how many hours? 4000 is getting up there, depending on its maintenance. And are parts readily available. As well as all the other machinery.

To me, a spacious interior is fine on the hook or at the dock, but when traveling that space could be utilizing storage. You'll be spending a lot of time up on deck. I prefer a passageway with cabinets and drawers with space for the head, galley, nav station, dinning and bunks. But that's MY OPINION.

The size of the windows has little to do with its seaworthiness but their construction does.

And last but not least, what experience do you have out there? And will this boat keep you and YOURS safe?

.................................................. ..............................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2005, 13:40   #3

Location: Winters - Out Cruising / Summers in the NC mountains
Boat: Brewer 42
Try Sailnet - Boat Check

Try this link for owner's opinions: http://www.sailnet.com/collections/b...il2&Model=2028
rleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2005, 21:07   #4

Dear Delmarray

Thanks for your good advice. I fully agree that common sense and sailing ability are paramount. I would love to hear more about this particular boat, hopefully from somone who has sailed one. Any opinions on center cockpits or split rigs in general? Also, Ive heard a few opinions that the Islander Freeport 41 is very poor for beating uphill.

Chad
aaronirene74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 13:48   #5

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Boat suitability for crossing an ocean...

...is a huge, complex topic and much of it doesn't hinge exclusively on the choice of yacht. IOW a suitable design, well built but poorly maintained and not properly prep'd or navigated, is doing to produce disappointing results. In a similar vein, just about any boat can eventually be moved from Point A to B with enough patience, weather watching, fuel and sailing ability. Now...having said that, it's unfair to declare 'your' Freeport 41 as 'unsuitable' in some kind of absolute sense. OTOH its suitability is going to depend a great deal on just which routes you end up choosing.

E.g. Sailing down the Central American west coast and out into the Pacific, in season, is just about exclusively across- and down-wind and in relatively moderate conditions. Presuming the boat is otherwise well prepared, a F41 should be fine on this run...as was the Kon Tiki raft. The more pertinent question is what do you do next? If you plan to spend your $15K and ship her home, again no problem. Similarly, sliding down to the Canal shouldn't present too many problems...but then you'll be doing some windward work as you exit and, once again, you will find that challenging.

Your issues with the F41 are that she has a wide sheeting angle, a long keel with a very large wetted surface, a low-powered & not weatherly sail plan, a huge prop to drag thru the water and she's least suited to the sailing conditions an ocean crossing in the temperate latitudes most often present: lighter winds. That doesn't mean she will sink on you but you will most likely burn a lot of fuel and wonder about your limited options when your fuel supply is low and/or you have to make some longer runs.

Good luck on the shopping...

Jack
Euro Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 01:47   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Well said, Jack !!!
The Freeport 41 (“Islander” - built from 1975 to 1983 ?) was not designed nor built as a “Bluewater” boat. As you say, it’s a commodious beast (13.5' Beam), better suited for a “Live-Aboard”, or for the Bahamas and ICW (5' Draft) - but (as Jack pointed out) I would not want to make long uphill passages aboard one. Given your “left coast” location, you can expect lots of uphill work, and longer passages (& a “Trans-Pac” is the longest of all).
FWIW,
Gord

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 15:22   #7

Boat: Islander Freeport 41
Re: Opinions Wanted: Freeport Islander 41' Ketch

Chad,
I just purchased a 1979 41' Islander Freeport and love it. Very strong built and I am excited to have a full keel w/ 5' draft which will allow me to go just about anywhere.
My boat has tempered glass windows, so I am not to worried about them breaking at sea, but some cruisers add plexiglas panels over the windows for extra protection. The interior is great, but there should be some type of support or strap in the galley when working at the stove, sink, etc. I would feel comfortable to take this boat anywhere as long as you are not in a hurry. As far as beating up wind, she is not great, but add the powerful diesel with a huge prop and go into the wind with ease. She sails well on a beam and has excellent down wind performance. Because I am a broker, I have her on Yachtworld for sale down here in Ft. Lauderdale. Call me if you have any other questions.
Thanks,
Barry
Barryyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:06   #8

My good friend Bob Perry would be happy to talk to you but he can't do it here. He was banned for life.
snaggletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 07:47   #9

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggletooth View Post
My good friend Bob Perry would be happy to talk to you but he can't do it here. He was banned for life.
knot tru. he left awn hiss oan. ghet ur storie strate.

Tags
Islander Freeport