Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2020, 09:45   #1

Boat: Orion 34
Orion Yachten GmbH, Orion 34

Greetings!

I joined this forum a few years back and have been 'lurking' for quite some time. Despite my desire for a monohull bluewater sailboat, I bought a 40' Defever as a cruising boat in an attempt to persuade/cajole my family into joining me on a longterm cruise around the Bahamas. Well, divorce has meant, among other things, I can now have the type of boat I really want!

So, after a few months of scanning the classifieds I happened upon an ad for a 34ft boat with a wrecked engine being sold for a song. I was fortunate enough to be the second person to view the boat, and I put down a deposit there and then. The couple selling the boat were an absolute pleasure to meet. I wish I could have spent more time with them to hear the adventures they enjoyed whilst cruising 9,000nm in the Caribbean for 5 years!

The good: she's 34ft, draws 6ft, has high freeboard, an incredibly spacious interior for her size and has adequate systems (evidenced by her previous owners living aboard for 5 years).

The bad: she has a dead engine (salt water intrusion through the exhaust), soft side decks, tired sails, and a mishmash of electronics and associated wires added over the boat's 36 years.

I have scoured the internet looking to see whether there is a sister-ship to this Orion 34. She was built in Germany and appears unrelated to the Orion 34 built in Bremen by the Werftbau shipyard, or to the Orion 35 designed by Sparkman and Stephens. So if anyone has any information...

I'm also curious to hear suggestions as to how to best power and kit-out this boat. I am looking to cruise her in the Bahamas initially, then down to the Caribbean, and then, once I have the skill and experience, across the Atlantic.

I have looked at going 100% electric (i.e., replacing the blown Sole 33 with a 10Kw electric motor) but I'm not confident that I would have the energy I need to run the motor should I face a bad storm. So input from those with electric motors is very welcome. I'm thinking a Beta 20 or 25 would make for a decent diesel replacement. Thoughts?

I would like to have zero 120v appliances onboard, to eliminate the need for an inverter. Is this realistic? I have a manual head, all water pumps are foot/hand pumps, there's a built-in coolbox that needs a new refrigeration unit, and I just bought a manual windlass to replace the broken-beyond-rebuild electric windlass. The boat has a diesel heater that hasn't been used for at least the last 6 years. I'm considering pulling that out and using the space for a small air-conditioning unit if I can find one that runs on DC. Anyone have suggestions?

She has autopilot and a hydrovane, 80W solar panel, and a wind turbine. If I keep a diesel motor I'd obviously have a power generation source there too.

Ok...that should do for now!

Thanks in advance for all and any comments and suggestions!
OceanFox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yacht