Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 23:52   #1

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft
Outboard trouble

I have let a 2hp Yamaha outboard sit too long with fuel in the carby. 'bout 8 months. I'm told that the carby is choked with gunk. I would appreciate advice on cleaning it up.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:37   #2

Re: Outboard trouble

Hi Bob
In my experience with the tiny 2 stroke carbs, the only way is to use an ultrasonic bath, the carb cleaning solvents work to a degree !
If the fuel has a high ethanol content the cleaners don't get rid of the 'varnish'
Sometimes, the carbs are cheaper to replace than trying to clean them so they are reliable.... don't ask me how I know !
Good luck
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:44   #3

Boat: Nordic Tug 37

I rebuilt the carb on my 28-year-old 2hp Yamaha (Mariner label) with a $35 rebuild parts kit. Easy, and worked like a charm.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:59   #4

Get a rebuild kit. Have access to a air compressor. Use carb cleaner and blow it in all the holes. Then blow them out with plenty of psi. Then rebuild with the kit.

I have rebuilt tons of carbs in my day and always had good results and I am no expert.

But first. Make sure it is a fuel issue. Made that mistake before
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 14:06   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

In most cases you dont need a rebuild kit...its likely just dirty. Tear it down and clean it.

As posted, smaller carbs can be more challenging to get clean because the channels are so small.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:39   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

My advice more or less follows the above. For my 2 hp Honda and my Honda 2000 genset I use the ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight. Besides the ultrasonic it also heats the fluid (be careful the fluid can get REALLY hot). The main tank will hold approx 1 qt and I've used carb cleaner and even simple green with good results.

As has been mentioned a source clean air is needed. After removal from tank a quick rinse in clean water and air to blow out the tiny fuel pathways. With a little practice I find I need about 15 min total. I do keep some spare gaskets and rings in case I mess up but I can usually do several cleanings before tapping into that stash..

I don't know if Harbor Freight is available in Australia but I'm certain you can find an ultrasonic somewhere . Smaller ones are sold for cleaning jewelry or technical drafting pens.

Prevention is even better. Turn off or disconnect fuel and run the carb dry. Use stabilizer in the fuel. In the US our main problem is ethanol in the fuel which forms a crust. In the old days, fuel would form a sticky varnish. There are stablizers for both, you'll need someone local to tell you which one you need,

Good luck,
Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 15:59   #7

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Kogan has an ultrasonic cleaner online for $69.00

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-u...llery-cleaner/
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 03:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post

Prevention is even better. Turn off or disconnect fuel and run the carb dry. Use stabilizer in the fuel. In the US our main problem is ethanol in the fuel which forms a crust. In the old days, fuel would form a sticky varnish. There are stablizers for both, you'll need someone local to tell you which one you need,

Good luck,
Rich
An issue you run into outside developed countries is that you often have no idea what the fuel formulation is....until after it gunks up your carb.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:50   #9

Mentioned above is to just clean it without the rebuild kit. I don't recommend that. Reason is you have it apart anyway, why not put in the new float, valves, orings, plugs and whatever else comes with it. Using old gaskets and such clean lead to other issues.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:39   #10

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In most cases you dont need a rebuild kit...its likely just dirty. Tear it down and clean it.

As posted, smaller carbs can be more challenging to get clean because the channels are so small.

Yes. . . and next time use a fuel conditioner to treat all new fuel before using and when storing long term. My 25-year-old Johnson 6 hp was running great when I sold it with the original carburetor. Use that $35.00(rebuild kit) for a bottle of Glenlivet!! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:03   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Replace the carburetor with a new one and you save a lot of aggravation, and you know it's clean.

Shut off the fuel supply and let the engine burn what's left until it stalls. Do this every time you use it, not just at the end of the season and you won't have this problem again. That's what my shop told me about my little Honda.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:26   #12

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Outboard trouble

Save yourself a lot of grief. Get a new carb, get it to run and then sell it. Buy a Lehr propane and your problems are solved. I did, but $560 later than I should dealing with the same problems you are having. The jets are so small and the fuel goes bad after about 3 weeks so if you are only occasionally using a gas outboard (4 strokes are worse than 2) you are on the losing end of this game.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:35   #13

Boat: Cape George Cutter 38

I've had good results removing the carb and soaking it over night in lacquer thinner.
Lacquer thinner seems to break down varnish amazingly fast. It's quite a noxious chemical so use it with care. When I take the carb out of the thinner I soak it in gas in hopes of diluting the thinner a bit before reinstalling it.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
etesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:00   #14

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Many thanks for the advice on solving motor gummed up.

I stripped the carby in to parts , used cleaner ,re-built, new plug ,new fuel mix--- and it worked.

I'm no mechanic but the motor was deemed a' write off' by Yamaha Service because the cost of cleaning was close to new price. Motor has about 10 hours only but a lot of down time.New $800 my cost $25 plus 2 hours . BTSOOM !
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 18:08   #15

Congratulations!

A very high percentage of small outboard problems can be solved just by cleaning the carb.

Tags
outboard