Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2018, 14:16   #31

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Outbound 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
One thing that my son reminded me of with the OB though is he had to rebuild the mast step on Hedonism because it was an aluminum fabrication in the bilge with no limber holes to drain water away and had corroded to the point of collapse, and this was a fresh water boat at that point. He replaced he aluminum with G10 and added drainage so even very well thought out boats can have something poorly designed.

Steve.
I think Hedonism is something like hull#8. The very early OBs had this problem. It was changed by at least hull #10. Phil has continually taken lessons from earlier boats and fine tuned what he sells.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 14:29   #32

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Another to add to your list is Robert Mackie - Home This is a OB 46 from Thunder Bay, Ontario that is currently in French Polynesia but always used to winter in our heated storage building in Superior, Wisconsin. We did a lot of work on the boat preparing it for the trip. I built the hard dodger as a sub contractor, this can be seen in photos from 2010 onwards. We did all the electronics and solar, leisure furl boom, sprit and asym install and lots more.
I had the unique opportunity over the last couple of weeks to spend some time on three very expensive performance cruisers as we removed the rigs on all three for the winter as they are going indoors. They were a new Hallberg Rassy of about 42ft, a 5 year old Jeaneau 57 and the other Outbound 46 (which is for sale btw if anyone is interested) that we take care of. While all are very nice boats I would have to say the OB is my favorite. There is some very nice workmanship on that boat that is a level above the others. I have been a boatbuilder for nearly 50 years and I have never seen stainless steel work on a boat of the quality of that on both outbounds we have had under our care. I would have to say the same for the woodwork.
I was a little disappointed in the HR in that while the workmanship was very good, there is a lot of plywood parts that were raw when they should have been properly epoxy sealed. Any custom shop I have worked in would never leave plywood unsealed.
One thing that my son reminded me of with the OB though is he had to rebuild the mast step on Hedonism because it was an aluminum fabrication in the bilge with no limber holes to drain water away and had corroded to the point of collapse, and this was a fresh water boat at that point. He replaced he aluminum with G10 and added drainage so even very well thought out boats can have something poorly designed.

Steve.
So is there a link to the OB 46 you guys have up there. I would like to see what it is. Thanks,
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 14:39   #33

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I think Hedonism is something like hull#8. The very early OBs had this problem. It was changed by at least hull #10. Phil has continually taken lessons from earlier boats and fine tuned what he sells.
I believe this, good builders learn from mistakes and these are very good boats and obviously a good builder. Having worked in Taiwan for 16 months back in the late 90s (not in the marine industry) I can say that in my experience the Chinese can build every bit as good a product as anyone else, the difference in quality is entirely dependent on the quality of their western supervision. This is in now way criticism of their ability to run a project but rather that, at least in Taiwan and I suspect in mainland China also that they simply don't have a history of recreational sailing so they are just building a product, the quality of that product is only as good as the quality of the on site representative of the company they are building for, and indeed the quality of the company itself. When I was there we had custom German made machinery (for the manufacture of our product) which was not even close to the quality of the machinery I had designed and built locally, not even close.

Steve
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 14:51   #34

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

[QUOTE=mjgill1;2749303]So is there a link to the OB 46 you guys have up there. I would like to see what it is. Thanks,

I just checked and we don't actually have it listed yet. The owner told me he was going to sell a couple of weeks ago but I may be a little premature in putting it out there. I will check next week and see if its for real.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:01   #35

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

[QUOTE=clockwork orange;2749323]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
So is there a link to the OB 46 you guys have up there. I would like to see what it is. Thanks,

I just checked and we don't actually have it listed yet. The owner told me he was going to sell a couple of weeks ago but I may be a little premature in putting it out there. I will check next week and see if its for real.

Steve.
I checked out those folks on Hedonism. They sure have put that boat to good use. They have been blogging for 4 years, their album goes back to 2005 and they have had that boat all over the place! Good on them. I imagine the season is pretty short up there. Maybe 5-6 months?
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote