Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2016, 09:16   #16

Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Hey Steady,
I really love these threads on noteworthy boats. We are probably over our 'actual' boat shopping at this point (sailboat #5) but we always love our 'recreational boat shopping' options.
We are hearing that many folks think an older boat will bring lots of problems and expense. In out experience, our 35-40 year old FG vessels have been affordable because we could do the work ourselves with expert friends. New engines are everything though, so look for one with that taken care of! In our case the older boats offer superior construction that is hard to find in newer far more expensive vessels.
Thanks for all your work!
Arcturus
19Valiant79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:29   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Valiant79 View Post
Hey Steady,
I really love these threads on noteworthy boats. We are probably over our 'actual' boat shopping at this point (sailboat #5) but we always love our 'recreational boat shopping' options.
We are hearing that many folks think an older boat will bring lots of problems and expense. In out experience, our 35-40 year old FG vessels have been affordable because we could do the work ourselves with expert friends. New engines are everything though, so look for one with that taken care of! In our case the older boats offer superior construction that is hard to find in newer far more expensive vessels.
Thanks for all your work!
Arcturus
Hi Arcturus!

Thanks for the positive comments and encouragement and your own experience too. I agree with you about the older boats that could be a nice boat to have today.

As I mentioned earlier, I intend for this thread to include interesting or outstanding boats made from any or all hull materials (wood, metal, composite, GRP/FG). It will be a mix of boats, simply because I like many types.

Stay tuned to see many more!

I also encourage anyone interested in FG or GRP boats from the 1960s and 1970s (and other years) to subscribe to the following ongoing thread too. It is all about "Plastic Classics." DON CL started it and it is full of interesting FG/GRP boats and comments about them. Here is a link to it:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-160329.html
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30   #18

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Good thread Steady! I like to see attention given to out of the ordinary, exceptional boats. They are the ones that keep boats interesting for me.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:13   #19

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I am also enjoying your comments and pictures very much!

Keep them coming
Old 04-11-2016, 12:48   #20

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Hello SH,

Well done matey... I like your choices and your comments.

But... more importantly, had I known you were avail for long distance cruising... you would have gotten a call. Going to Guadeloupe in 4 weeks.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 13:58   #21

1982 Bowman 44 Corsair Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5203570_20150723023044133_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	134917   Click image for larger version

Name:	5203570_20150723023029788_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	134918  

Name:	5203570_20150723023046021_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	134919   Click image for larger version

Name:	5203570_20150723023031520_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	134920  

RidgeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 14:10   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

RIDGERUNNER,

Thanks for adding that Bowman 44.

That is an outstanding boat! Lovely! Beautiful, and just the kind of boat I wish I could have (in my dreams). It is priced at $204,000 and that seems reasonable to me, because of the quality of the Bowman built boats and the excellent condition this one appears to be in today. I wish I could own it.

I will post a few more photos so others can see it more, but there are many more photos and good ones, on the sale listing. I enjoyed seeing them all.

I particularly like the white wood interior and everything I saw in th interior photos. While I do like a full varnished teak interior on some boats (see the VdS Royal Huisman) boat I posted earlier) my first preference is for a light or white wood interior to keep the interiors light. I really appreciate that styling on old wood boats, and also on boats like this one. But i also like the exterior too. A real beauty that I think is admirable.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1096.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	134921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1097.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	134922  

Name:	IMG_1098.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	134923   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1099.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	134924  

Name:	IMG_1100.JPG
Views:	422
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	134925  
Old 04-11-2016, 14:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
[B] 6. It has teak decks. I like teak decks. Yes, teak decks can be a problem IF they cause leaks in plywood decks beneath them. But, is that going to be a problem on THIS boat? I happen to like teak decks for good footholding grippiness.
Hah, I'm jealous, you have a good eye and the experience I lack

Btw, there's something I can't understand: All the teak decks on boats I saw look like nobody ever took care of it ...at all?

It would seem to me, that it would not foul or dry up and crack if you gave it a good dose of some bee's wax mixed with eucalyptus oil or some such every 6 months...?

Its not that much work, especially since you don't have to haul the boat for it. I'd be doing that on a passage for meditation for an hour on every fair weather day.. Ok, maybe that would be a bad idea, as it might be slippery for a few days or can't be stepped on, when you need to. But I *would* find time to do it, just like I take care of my house, before the substance takes damage.

I guess the caulking I've seen them put between the Teak strips would crumble from the sun no matter what, so you'd need to keep some of that around for early repairs before it gets out of hand.

Keep in mind, I know little to nothing about boats specifically (yet), but I'm good with wood and metal works. Fiberglass not so much, the fumes scared me away ;0
I'd rather get splattered with hot metal beads flying than breathe in formaldehyde.
n13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 14:14   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Good thread Steady! I like to see attention given to out of the ordinary, exceptional boats. They are the ones that keep boats interesting for me.
Pauls,
Thanks for the positive comment. I agree. It is the unusual, outstanding, and exceptional boats that keep me stimulated as I admire sailboats and study them. Some stimulate interest, some stimulate dreams. And, all adventures need something like that to start.

Stay Tuned! And add some you find too.
Old 04-11-2016, 14:16   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundOfSilence View Post
I am also enjoying your comments and pictures very much!

Keep them coming
Thanks for the positive comments and I will keep'em coming!!

Feel free to add something you see too. This is a thread open to others posting outstanding boats too.
Old 04-11-2016, 14:18   #26
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleuthera 2014 View Post
Hello SH,

Well done matey... I like your choices and your comments.

But... more importantly, had I known you were avail for long distance cruising... you would have gotten a call. Going to Guadeloupe in 4 weeks.
Merci JP!

I know we share some tastes in boats and design, and a mutual appreciation for Amel boats!

I would LOVE to join you on your upcoming voyage! I will send you a PM to let you know more about that.

And Bon Voyages! (More than one!)
Old 04-11-2016, 14:29   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by n13L5 View Post
Hah, I'm jealous, you have a good eye and the experience I lack

Btw, there's something I can't understand: All the teak decks on boats I saw look like nobody ever took care of it ...at all?

It would seem to me, that it would not foul or dry up and crack if you gave it a good dose of some bee's wax mixed with eucalyptus oil or some such every 6 months...?

Its not that much work, especially since you don't have to haul the boat for it. I'd be doing that on a passage for meditation for an hour on every fair weather day.. Ok, maybe that would be a bad idea, as it might be slippery for a few days or can't be stepped on, when you need to. But I *would* find time to do it, just like I take care of my house, before the substance takes damage.

I guess the caulking I've seen them put between the Teak strips would crumble from the sun no matter what, so you'd need to keep some of that around for early repairs before it gets out of hand.

Keep in mind, I know little to nothing about boats specifically (yet), but I'm good with wood and metal works. Fiberglass not so much, the fumes scared me away ;0
I'd rather get splattered with hot metal beads flying than breathe in formaldehyde.
Thanks for the kind words and an interesting post too.

I happen to like Teak Decks. But, they do have some issues. It is best to do some research and reading to understand those, prior to buying a boat with a teak deck, especially if it is an older boat/deck.

Here is a link to some of the many previous threads in CF archives that discuss the many aspects of Teak Decks. Take some time, read through some, and then you will be further on your way to knowing more about boats. It simply takes time (studying or reading) and more time spent on boats. Together that will help you develop your own taste and tolerance for the compromises seen in any boats.

All About Teak Decks (CF Threads About Teak Decks)
https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...eck&gsc.page=1
Old 04-11-2016, 14:48   #28

Boat: Hunter 25, Santana 20, Hallberg RASSY 33 " Mistral" San Juan 21 MKI

My second fav thread, I'm learning everyday. Being a new ocean sailor I've been trying to determine if my 33 is a reasonable boat for my needs. I love these boats here, however I just don't want to spend the money on moorings a bigger boat.

The plastic classics, and here, heck every site is contributing daily to my learning.

Thank you.

Dirk
Dirk Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 15:06   #29

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

My favorite so far is the Bowman 44. It just looks to be in superb condition, just as if it was brand new! And the action sailing pictures makes it look even better!
Old 04-11-2016, 15:22   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Williams View Post
My second fav thread, I'm learning everyday. Being a new ocean sailor I've been trying to determine if my 33 is a reasonable boat for my needs. I love these boats here, however I just don't want to spend the money on moorings a bigger boat.

The plastic classics, and here, heck every site is contributing daily to my learning.

Thank you.

Dirk
Thanks for the positive comment!

A Hallberg Rassy 33 is a good boat too. I dont know your plans, but that make and size of boat would suit me just fine for solo or couple cruising.