Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 13:34   #106
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

The linked blog for COUP D'ETAT posted up above as "Why this boat?" provides much detail and background on the boat. I read some of it. The owner, who bought the boat prior to the refit, obviously knew this boat type well and wanted a boat refinished to his taste. From the description of the interior prior to the refit, it sounds like he made a nice improvement over its earlier condition.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 18:24   #107

Boat: Searching for FC Ketch, 50 ft
Re: Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy Sailors!

If you have read some of my other threads I have started on CF, you will have seen that I have posted many boats which I believe fit the needs of many CF members. Those boat threads are:

Boats Less Than $30K - Noteworthy Recent Finds
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

Boats with Shallow Draft for Bahamas Florida and Chesapeake
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ke-174548.html

Trailer Sailor and Pocket Cruiser Boats Tips Advice Examples
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-175115.html

Boats with Free Standing Masts
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-150283.html

Please NOTE: I do post some links to boats that may be listed for sale, but I have NO connection to the boat owner or seller. I am merely posting boats I find very interesting as I search for my own boat and do my own research on boats (as I am a professional artist who draws and paints boats), and sharing them with CF Members.

If the boat is currently for sale, I consider that important info and share that too, and rather than responding to needless requests for a link or source, I am just putting that out in the thread to help others and save me time. If some CF member does buy one of these boats, let us know as I will share your joy at finding an unusual boat that fits you and I will be happy to crew for you sometime so I can see the boat myself.

Outstanding Boats - A Special Selection of Unusual and Noteworthy Boats I Find

Now with this thread I am going to post photos and notices of boats I consider OUTSTANDING or unusual for one reason or another: my Special Selection.

What qualifies for this thread? What criteria do I have?
These boats may be for sale or not. They may be expensive or inexpensive. They may be suitable for a couple to cruise on, or may require some crew. They may be wood, metal, plastic, or composite. They may be new, recent, or old. They may be classics, classy, or odd and unusual. They may be fast or slow, heavy or light.

What they share in common is that something about them appealed to me, your curator of this thread. . It is that simple. This is a very subjective Special Selection and may contain a wide range of boat types. Consider it eclectic. I like variety, so you will see that.

Expect Differences in Personal Taste in Boats!
I am NOT saying any of these boats is the best or better than another. I am making no judgement on whether it is suitable for you or any purpose. I am merely showing what I find that I consider unusual, outstanding, appealing, or interesting. That is all. I don't expect anyone to share my taste, or to agree with my selections. But, if you do like what you see, post a comment to let me know. I always appreciate knowing when someone shares a common view or finds something I like appealing too, as it is human nature to want to share things we like.

Of course I make no claims of being an expert on any of these boats. I am not endorsing them or saying they are the best of their types or a good buy. As with any boat "Caveat Emptor!"

Participate! Join the Discussion!

Of course this is a public forum, so I don't mind others discussing these boats, adding their opinions, or adding other boats YOU consider outstanding for some reason. The point of the thread is to have a place to discuss and show and illustrate and learn about boats that do not fit the common descriptions (i.e. Most production boats). This thread is about the UNUSUAL or RARE or DISTINCTIVE or SPECIAL. And as any curator will tell you, an exhibition of art or boats, even online, is a matter of personal opinion of what is special and noteworthy or outstanding about what is shown.

Subscribe to See More!
I hope you will enjoy it as it develops. Subscribe to this thread, because I will be posting many boats I have found, and there is going to be a lot of diversity. It will take me months to upload some of my finds, so be patient. Subscribe so you will see them as I post them.
I too am attempting to find a particular boat I was partners in building. Last known port of call Florida, CGV CHANDRELLE, FC Samson design, 50' monohull Ketch, centercockpit. She is very unique and special to me. If you run across or know anyone who may know her whereabouts, I would keenly interested in contacting her owner. Larry Holden Ldelos2@yahoo.com Cheers
Reddelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 14:51   #108

Name:   Lola <a title=lift.jpg Views: 1063 Size: 5.8 KB " style="margin: 2px" />
Name:   Lola.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  5.5 KB
48' world cruser from a Sparkman & Stephens design hull in steel.
here is a link I hope I doing the link insert correct http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/51304
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 15:29   #109

how about this for 135 year old For Sale - Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter wooden sailing yacht

it's sold before anyone gets excited
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 16:48   #110

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I mentally looked at this boat last fall. Rig too big for the ICW I think, and one head. A light air ship with the new larger rig, a bit tender I suspect.
The Luke built aluminum hulls have a good reputation. The Luke yard built a dozen of these I recall. For the right purpose a great boat.

I ended up with a close relation to her. Ardfern Yacht Centre: Moonbeam of Argyll heads stateside (again)
Very happy.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 17:46   #111

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugs View Post
how about this for 135 year old For Sale - Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter wooden sailing yacht

it's sold before anyone gets excited
You & I have similar taste. If you'll back at post 45 you'll see my link to the Isle of Scilly which is still for sale. I have to thank you for that link to Wooden Ships. Pages & pages of amazing boats. I also saw another Luke Powell boat there. Amazing designer/builder.

Our pilot cutters
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 17:53   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I mentally looked at this boat last fall. Rig too big for the ICW I think, and one head. A light air ship with the new larger rig, a bit tender I suspect.
The Luke built aluminum hulls have a good reputation. The Luke yard built a dozen of these I recall. For the right purpose a great boat.

I ended up with a close relation to her. Ardfern Yacht Centre: Moonbeam of Argyll heads stateside (again)
Very happy.
NICE!
daysgoneby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:08   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
You & I have similar taste. If you'll back at post 45 you'll see my link to the Isle of Scilly which is still for sale. I have to thank you for that link to Wooden Ships. Pages & pages of amazing boats. I also saw another Luke Powell boat there. Amazing designer/builder.
careful, I suspect the whose is the better cutter Bristol or Isles of Scilly has been running for some time already.......
daugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:10   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbuilder View Post
Attachment 139280Attachment 13927948' world cruser from a Sparkman & Stephens design hull in steel.
here is a link I hope I doing the link insert correct http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/51304
More pics
1970 Sparkman/Stephens / Koopmans 48 Custom Steel Ketch Sail Boat For Sale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4856828_20141025145010115_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	139339  
Old 10-01-2017, 09:00   #115

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daugs View Post
careful, I suspect the whose is the better cutter Bristol or Isles of Scilly has been running for some time already.......
I'd love to decide that firsthand. Awsome boats.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ezra.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	139346  
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:22   #116

I forgot to mention what I liked about the Sparkman & Stephen steel ketch. The classic S&S lines of a 70s race hull modified to make a world cruiser here is a letter from the OW wife to a inquirer date unknown. I copied and pasted the letter text the the file I saved for too big to attach.

~. C. 8 U 5 Q U E T HOEK VAN HOLLAND STEVEN VAN DER HAGHENSTRAAT 95
CONSULTING ENGINEER
TELefOON (0 1747) 3736
I I
L
UW BRIef D.D. UW Ref. Yacht,"Ariane"
HOEK VAN HOLLAND,
Referring to your letter of
hereunder the required information.
please find
utmost care has been taken to provide for the solldity of the
ship. The selected steel of the huIl has been'inspected and the
thicknesses are for the keel 8 mm and 6 mm, huIl under water
5 mm, huIl above water 4 mm, deck 4 mme All welding is done
on both sides under the inspection of the RBntgan Technical
Service at Rotterdam. Upon completion of the hull all weIds
were ultra sonor tested and pictures were made. The inspection
report of the RBntgen Technical Service with RBntgen pictures
is the Certificate of Acceptance Nr. AK 83287969.
The "Ariane" has been docked for underwater treatment every 2/3
years. The last time in 1983 and afte~ sandblasting, as usual
coated with antifauna paint. At the same time a new depthmeter
has been installed. The reason was, that although the original
depthmeter was still in excellent condition, this particular
type was no longer in productionand spare parts will become
hard to get. The yard also instalIed a bow propellor to
facilitate mooring manouvres.
The Marifoon was also replaced last year in view of changed
frequencies here. The radio senderhas never been used and
I:: ......
~. c. BUS Q u E T VERVOLGBlADNR.- 2
can ba adaptad accordingly. All navigation apparatus is in A1 condition, very durable and nead no raplacamant.
As ragards your quastion on tha angine, I must teIl you first
somathing of tha history of the "Ariane". When the ship was ready for dalivery at the Huisman yard at Vollenhoven in March
1972, my Iata husband, on his way to the yard, broke his hip.
The ship was brought by a hired crew to her ~resent mooring ~ in August 1972. My husband has never fully recovered, however, the IIAriane" still remained a st rong hobby for him.
Consequently the ship has hardly been used for seatrips. In fact we have only made two trips to Ostend ~t the 8elgian coast, although the ship was designed and built to sail around the
world. This also answers your question on the percentage of storage in fresh water.
I estimate that the angina has actually run approximately 400 hours in alla still regularoverhauls have been effected. The last overhaul was done by Kempen & Twist in 1983. Constant
maintenance on vessal and angina has ~e~n done through the years by an experienced help on hourly payment basis.
About the design I can inform"you thatmy late husband, when for business in New Vork, asked Messr~.Sparkman & Stephens to
design for him the type of cruiseyacht he desired. As they had na time available immediately, he purchased from Messrs. Sparkman & Stephens their design of a successful racer."
Back in Holland, he arranged with the yacht architect Koopman to have the drawings and calculations of the racer modified to the type of cruise yacht desired, viz. deep finkeel with NASA low turbulence profiles, rudder with scheg, "Kicker" at back
of ship, masts, gigs, rigging and sailplan same as the original racer design with this water length. A high mast enaibling to avail sufficient sail to carry the ship in weak wind, heavy rigging to permit sailing in rough weather.
!!:.
..J. C. BUS Q U E T VERVOLGBLADNR. - 3
Because'of the 6 tons of molten lead under in the keel, she
is a stiff -and stabIe ship. The "Ariane" is a unique ship in
that the design is used for her only.
I assume that your question on the schedule or tabIe of toe
scantlings concerns what is called the "lijnenplan",which is
a Dutch term of which I do not know the appropriate translation,
(llnes plan?). Thls plan will be handed over to an eventual~
new owner of the "Ariane" but can, of course, be examined by
a prospective, serious buyer at my home.
If you are seriously interested in the "Ariane", I suggest that
you appoint an expert in vacht appraisal in Holland to have
the ship thoroughly surveyed. Such a person can examine the
"lijnenplan"and can be showed the 1983 bills for docking end
engine overhaul or any other documents required.
The mooring fee is 800 guilders per year presently. The berth,
however, is part of a private club and cannot"be passed en to
any new owners of yachts sold by members of the club. I~ fect
there is a waiting list for persons who want to become members
of the club.
The insurance for yachts in Holland is not uniform but can be
taylormade to anyoneis wishes. The insurance carried for the
"Ariane" is adequate in my opinion, but cannot be passed on to
the next owner. I assume that in case you appoint a surveyo~,
in Holland, such person can also inform you on all details of
insurance you may wish to know.
Enclosed please find 5 drawings giving the details of the
"Ariane", as weIl as copy of the original appraiaal report (in
Outch language) by the Expertise- en Taxatiebureau Fa.Laarman
at Rotterdam.
I trust, that in case you decide to not pursue the matter any further, you will be so kind toreturn the material I sent you.
jonbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 20:22   #117

1987 Cape George 36 Cutter US$179,000

1987 Cape George 36 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Cape George 36 For Sale
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13905_10152631063218307_4909378369031944350_n.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	139499  
Old 11-01-2017, 21:42   #118

Boat: Spray Replica

Steady,
I thought you might be interested in these photos. I noticed the mention of Blue Moon a Tayana 37 on the previous page.

When we were sailing through Taiwan last year we had the pleasure to visit the Tayana Factory in Kaoshuing. We were very surprised to see among there new range was a new '37 under construction.

The company was presenting one of their new '58s at a boat show in Shanghai China. An interested Chinese customer inquired if they would build him a new '37. They wheeled out the old molds and the photo show the progress. Even the Chinese have an appreciation for good looking boats.

This '37 will possibly be the best and most expensive '37 ever built. Tayana pride them selves on quality of finish.

[IMG]httphttp://live.blog1.com/uploads/41585/scratch/blog1/blog-180331e2-c054-4b56-ac2c-325664fcbfaf/article-b9b97d8a-c6a0-4826-bcff-409837303e02/media/images/img_2485.jpg://[/IMG]

I particularly like gas strut on the port holes.

Garry
www.sobraon.co
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 21:50   #119
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I have been drooling over this beauty for a while now. According to the listing this boat has covered some serious miles. Her name is Wappen von Bremen III. I think I read she was the 3rd club boat for a German YC. Built in 1982 by Peter Bieritz and designed by Van de Stadt. She was just replaced by a new Wappen von Bremen (last picture). There are also some great videos on Youtube.

1982 Peter Bieritz 53 Wappen von Bremen lll Sail Boat For Sale

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5301412_20150817055833414_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	139501   Click image for larger version

Name:	5301412_20150817055422227_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	139502  

Name:	5301412_20150817055241183_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	139503   Click image for larger version

Name:	5301412_20150817055644076_1_XLARGE.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	139504  

Name:	04_segeln-wappen-von-bremen.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	139505  
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 22:25   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobraon View Post
Steady,
I thought you might be interested in these photos. I noticed the mention of Blue Moon a Tayana 37 on the previous page.

When we were sailing through Taiwan last year we had the pleasure to visit the Tayana Factory in Kaoshuing. We were very surprised to see among there new range was a new '37 under construction.

The company was presenting one of their new '58s at a boat show in Shanghai China. An interested Chinese customer inquired if they would build him a new '37. They wheeled out the old molds and the photo show the progress. Even the Chinese have an appreciation for good looking boats.

This '37 will possibly be the best and most expensive '37 ever built. Tayana pride them selves on quality of finish.

[IMG]httphttp://live.blog1.com/uploads/41585/scratch/blog1/blog-180331e2-c054-4b56-ac2c-325664fcbfaf/article-b9b97d8a-c6a0-4826-bcff-409837303e02/media/images/img_2485.jpg://[/IMG]

Garry
www.sobraon.co
I worked on a Tayana 37's electrical a few years ago. I see they have improved the wiring.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote