Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 08:21   #31

Re: Oyster 66 vs. Moody 66: Which would you trust for a short handed circumnavigation

If you can afford a high end 66ft boat , I’d highly suggest taking a young couple as crew. It’ll make sailing a lot easier. Especially for long passages. Give yourself and your family a break.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:08   #32

Boat: Oyster 49
Re: Oyster 66 vs. Moody 66: Which would you trust for a short handed circumnavigation

As well as the boat itself you should consider the support that the builder and other owners can give.

I own an Oyster 49 built 2001 that I bought "pre-owned". The support from Oyster for older yachts is no different to the support to newer yachts and is fantastic. Advice as required and spares if necessary. Not all builders provide this support.

If you want to cross the Atlantic with the ARC, Oyster flies a team in Tenerife who will go over your boat and fix whatever needs fixing.

There is also a great owners website that is independent of Oyster - but I would say that, as I started it!

TS
Tudorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:21   #33

Boat: 1990 Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Quiet there, in the peanut gallery.

Moody is faster and has a more solid structure. Better deck gear. But Oyster has a better layout and much better fitout. For the tropics --- Oyster doghouse windows open; Moody don't. That would be enough by itself to sway me to Oyster. So Oyster.
Well put.

Both vessels are EXCELLENT.

I love the opening doghouse windows at anchor, really a game changer on my Oyster 55.

Factory support after 1st owner is excellent on the oyster side. Don't know on the Moody side.

Oyster treats me like a first owner, you are definitely joining a family. I have asked many questions and received pictures from the original build books of my specific Oyster with exceptionally fast response when it was critical.

The "Oyster Owners Group" is a group independent of Oyster itself that is an owners only forum and is exceptionally polite and helpful. Lots of Oyster specific knowledge, open discussion of issues, etc.

It may be that Moody provides similar support for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and beyond owners... I personally know Oyster does...

Just my personal experience:-)
botanybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 08:46   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by botanybay View Post
. . .Factory support after 1st owner is excellent on the oyster side. Don't know on the Moody side. . . .

It may be that Moody provides similar support for 3rd, 4th, 5th, and beyond owners... I personally know Oyster does...

Moody has not existed since 2006, when the firm closed its doors after 175 years (Moody was the oldest more or less large scale yacht builder in the world when it went bankrupt). So forget about factory support. There is a great owners group however.

Oyster has been sold once and bankrupt once in the last 20 years, but I believe the new owners have done a good job maintaining continuity of support. At least that's what I hear.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 13:01   #35

I believe that Moody is now made by the same people that make Hanse. My experience of Hanse build quality has been woefull. Hanse are made in factories in inland eastern Europe. The people in the factories are not boat builders.
kiwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 01:40   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwin View Post
I believe that Moody is now made by the same people that make Hanse. My experience of Hanse build quality has been woefull. Hanse are made in factories in inland eastern Europe. The people in the factories are not boat builders.
I can't say anything good or bad about Hanses; I've never been on one.

But the boats built by Hanse and sold (at very high prices) as Moodys aren't Moodys. Hanse only bought the name and nothing else when Moody went bankrupt in 2006.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2021, 22:35   #37

Boat: Trader 535

I'm a liveaboard in Limassol Marina Trader 535, my neighbour lives aboard his Moody 66, as you'll know only 3 made his was the last one, we often go out for a sail, she easy to handle and sails like a freight train, easy motion and very comfortable, not sailed an Oyster 66, but no quarms in saying the Moody 66 is a great boat, and she's for sale, interested?
Peter L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, navigation, oyster