Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2018, 11:15   #106

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Oyster in liquidation

Is there a criminal investigation underway or have there been criminal charges filed yet?
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:17   #107

I wouldn't think screwing a wealthy Russian businessman would be healthy.
Old 22-02-2018, 11:19   #108

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

The fact that the financial backers pulled the plug with 80 million dollars worth of orders on the books hints that maybe something was not right with the financial statements and their accuracy. It's pure speculation, of course, but if so, it wouldn't be the first time investors or lenders have been served 'creative' financials.

Enron and HealthSouth and a number of other publicly-traded companies got caught doing it. There's no telling how many private companies have lost their lines of credit when the lenders find out things aren't as they were represented.

Maybe that $80 million worth of orders on the books wasn't all real?
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:23   #109
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Oyster in liquidation

Never happen.. sold for £70,000,000 in '08.. sold again 2012 for £15,000,000 to current folks who are liquidising.
Only people who will lose are the workers and suppliers.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:27   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjags View Post
The fact that the financial backers pulled the plug with 80 million dollars worth of orders on the books hints that maybe something was not right with the financial statements and their accuracy. It's pure speculation, of course, but if so, it wouldn't be the first time investors or lenders have been served 'creative' financials.

Enron and HealthSouth and a number of other publicly-traded companies got caught doing it. There's no telling how many private companies have lost their lines of credit when the lenders find out things aren't as they were represented.

Maybe that $80 million worth of orders on the books wasn't all real?

Ugh I can't let this go...

Have you looked at the financial statements? If so, I suggest you look at the revenue and profits for all the past years, then maybe you'll understand why investors may decide to pull the plug even with a record order volume. A simply analysis the uber intelligent authors of oysterstory.info could have done before making baseless allegations.
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 12:10   #111

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

Of course, we are all speculating here. That's what's so fun about it. :-) The truth will come out, and some of us can say, "Hah" That's exactly what I thought!"

And then we can pat ourselves on the back for being so brilliant and insightful.

No one here is making any allegations. We're just trying to read between the lines.

I've worked at a struggling company, and lenders let you know that certain targets have to be met in order to keep the line of credit open. They also have to have confidence in the integrity of management. One misrepresentation, one fudged sales projection, and that can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Once they lose confidence in the management team, they will cut their losses and bail out.

But of course, this is just speculation. I don't see any evidence that this has happened. just that it's possible.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 12:11   #112

HOW IT WENT DOWN: The Oyster Story

I bet their financials were above board also.
Old 22-02-2018, 15:21   #113

I think everyone is missing the point.

Risk capitalists are never there for the long run. They are there to milk the profits and as soon it gets tough its easier to jump ship and offset the looses against other profits, and search for next investment. This is nothing new.

With a order book of 80 million pounds even if it comes at a loss, for a industrialist owner there are always options to save the company through good management and som tough years to come out on top with time, as long you have a good brand and customers lining upp for your products.

That kind of thinking is just not there if you are running a risk capitalist outfit.
SnakeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 16:21   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEyes View Post
I think everyone is missing the point.

Risk capitalists are never there for the long run. They are there to milk the profits and as soon it gets tough its easier to jump ship and offset the looses against other profits, and search for next investment. This is nothing new.

With a order book of 80 million pounds even if it comes at a loss, for a industrialist owner there are always options to save the company through good management and som tough years to come out on top with time, as long you have a good brand and customers lining upp for your products.

That kind of thinking is just not there if you are running a risk capitalist outfit.

You're right "risk capitalists" in this case not a venture capital firm but a private PE shop that does NOT take other people's money love to lose their entire investment when the firm goes belly up (or maybe keel up)...
surf_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 23:45   #115

Boat: Southerly

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...eneur-richard/
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster