Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2021, 12:11   #16

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft
Re: Oyster, Tayana, Moody, Northwind or HR for blue water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
In terms of numbers, AWBs dominate the ARC rally pretty much every year. 46 out of the 152 monohulls in the 2019 ARC rally were AWBs from Bene, Jean & Bav. This has been the case for at least the last 10 years. How much more blue water than the Atlantic do you want?
Have to agree. The best boat is probably the one you already own. Unless, of course, you know why it isnt…???
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 13:43   #17

The sailboats on the original posters list are all stick built boats. Others have listed liner built boats...truth is under most conditions you can cross an ocean in a row boat but that might not be an ideal choice. Liner built boats have crossed many oceans and if your on a budget that may be your only choice.
Personally I prefer a stick built boat for extensive offshore cruising unfortunately they are not cheap. Lots of choices out there.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 21:06   #18

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

I'd also mention Hylas. We own a Macintosh/Mcintosh 47. Problem is that they only made 16. They figured they were losing $100K a boat and that it wasn't a great business model.

There is one for sale on Yachtworld. It's an early model. Pics show that a lot of basic work was put into it for the important stuff, and that it could use cosmetics. Our boat looks VERY different than this one, but these are very solid boats, and undervalued.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...ffbau-7491327/
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 21:20   #19

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ckpit-8049160/

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...ckpit-8041538/

This boat needs some work, but despite my comments earlier the list price makes this interesting.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 22:00   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

How about an Amel?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 22:36   #21

Boat: Moody 41

If you are thinking to buy new, have you thought of Kraken 50? these boats looks like the real blue water yachts!
abezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 00:33   #22

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Oyster, Tayana, Moody, Northwind or HR for blue water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abezzi View Post
If you are thinking to buy new, have you thought of Kraken 50? these boats looks like the real blue water yachts!

Said he/she could stretch to 200K EUR so a 1M EUR Kraken 50 probably isn’t going to work.

Still a very nice boat!

Edit: Dave the Dog is probably “he”!
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 02:42   #23

Boat: Moody 47

Yes I am indeed a male and identify as one also LOL
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 02:44   #24

Boat: Moody 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by abezzi View Post
I wish!!!
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 06:25   #25

Boat: Moody 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Said he/she could stretch to 200K EUR so a 1M EUR Kraken 50 probably isn’t going to work.
Still a very nice boat!
Edit: Dave the Dog is probably “he”!

My fault! I was reading while doing something else and didn't catch that part!!!
abezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 06:37   #26

Boat: Northwind 50

We have owned a 1998 Northwind 50 for 6 years and crossed the Atlantic in it 2 years ago. It has excellent build quality and we are very happy with it. It has 1200lt water; 600lt diesel; and came with factory fitted 6kW generator; watermaker; washing machine, so all the necessities for long distance cruising. We mainly sail 2 handed and it is easy to manage with 2. One of the major benefits for us was the deck saloon and the fact that you can actually see out of the windows from down below.

We were considering a larger boat for a while and wanted a Northwind 58 because we like this one so much, but Covid prevented us from viewing the boats we were interested in and now they have all sold. When we were looking for the new boat we did go and look at some larger Moody's and I was rather surprised and very disappointed by their build quality which is nowhere near as good as the Northwind.

Our friends have a Tayana 49 and their's is a very nice boat with good build quality, but although it is a deck saloon and so quite light down below, the saloon is so deep that you can't actually see out of the windows so a no-no for us.

Some other friends have an Oyster 47 which again although a deck saloon is also too deep to see out of the windows. In addition their's was fitted with a 240v fridge so only worked when they ran their generator - I don't know if this is a standard fitting but I thought it was very strange and it was a no-no for me.

The HR is a great boat, but way more expensive than a Northwind and not a deck saloon so I find it quite dark down below.
Paramotorgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 06:40   #27

Boat: Beneteau

My ideal boat right now would be the HR43 later models. Not sure if it fits the budget.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 07:50   #28

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramotorgreg View Post
We have owned a 1998 Northwind 50 for 6 years and crossed the Atlantic in it 2 years ago. It has excellent build quality and we are very happy with it. It has 1200lt water; 600lt diesel; and came with factory fitted 6kW generator; watermaker; washing machine, so all the necessities for long distance cruising. We mainly sail 2 handed and it is easy to manage with 2. One of the major benefits for us was the deck saloon and the fact that you can actually see out of the windows from down below.

We were considering a larger boat for a while and wanted a Northwind 58 because we like this one so much, but Covid prevented us from viewing the boats we were interested in and now they have all sold. When we were looking for the new boat we did go and look at some larger Moody's and I was rather surprised and very disappointed by their build quality which is nowhere near as good as the Northwind.

Our friends have a Tayana 49 and their's is a very nice boat with good build quality, but although it is a deck saloon and so quite light down below, the saloon is so deep that you can't actually see out of the windows so a no-no for us.

Some other friends have an Oyster 47 which again although a deck saloon is also too deep to see out of the windows. In addition their's was fitted with a 240v fridge so only worked when they ran their generator - I don't know if this is a standard fitting but I thought it was very strange and it was a no-no for me.

The HR is a great boat, but way more expensive than a Northwind and not a deck saloon so I find it quite dark down below.
Really interesting stuff, thanks. Northwinds aren't common in the states, otherwise I would have been more interested in them. I didn't realize they had a model with raised interior seating for good visibility. I hadn't seen the 50 before, is it basically an updated version of the 47 with a sugar scoop extension on the transom? It sounds very similar to my boat in many ways. One of my big priorities was good visibility from the deck saloon, even when seated.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 07:06   #29

Boat: Broom 39

The Dixon Moody's are good boats but almost all seem to have suffered from new boat shakedown syndrome so my twopenny worth is to go for something sorted. Amels are designed for what you want to: monocoque construction, twin headsail rig, watertight bulkheads. Not designed as marina eye candy but extremely robust. I'd watch out for the height of the gooseneck above the deck and, personally, I'd avoid in mast roller reefing. If only my wife had permitted a blue water boat of this size, I had my eye on one of the wonderful old Laurent Giles Moodies, like the Carbineer. Fabulously well built and so comfortable in a seaway.
WindintheWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2021, 07:23   #30

Boat: Outbound 44

If you could stretch the budget some, I'd definitely recommend an Outbound 44 or 46. If you look at Attainable Adventure Cruising, he's done several articles on the whys and wherefores of the Outbounds. There are a couple on the market (or about to be) but your budget would need to increase to probably $3-400k
(When we were looking for our cruising boat, our budget was similar to yours but the Outbound was so compelling that we raised the budget to over double and don't regret it one iota!)

We were on a Trintella 44 last night - looks like a very solid blue water cruiser or the 47 which is an Aluminium hull. A little dated, but very functional layout and solid.

If you can find one, the Bowman 48 is super nice and probably in your price range. (I think there's one in Antigua for sale...)

Good luck with your search!
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, oyster, water, wind