Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2012, 22:01   #1

Boat: Custom
pacific seacraft 40

I am very familiar with the PSC 34 & 37, but have recently seen a few 40's floating around.

They appear to have the usual qualitiesof a PSC, does anyone know much about them, how the compare to the little sisters, things to be aware of etc.

thanks

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 22:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: pacific seacraft 40

The '40 is a stretched '37, or perhaps a shrunk '44 -- I'm not sure which came first. You might look for some of Nigel Calder's writings on the '40, as he had one for quite a few years. I seem to recall that the '40 hull is balsa-cored above the waterline, where the '37 is all solid, but I could be wrong. I do know that the hull of my '44 is balsa-cored above the waterline. The '34, '37, '40, and '44 are very similar. The belowdecks layout is different, but the overall design philosophy is the same. I am very pleased with my '44.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 04:18   #3

thanks Paul, much appreciated

Old 27-04-2012, 04:36   #4

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Nigel Calder purchased his PSC 40 Nada with the idea that it would be strong enough to sail up on an underwater reef in Cuba and still be seaworthy. He was researching and surveying Cuba for a book he wrote. AFAIK he never tested her that way, but..

Yes the hull is balsa cored above the waterline. Nigel had some over the top IMO opinions about how to do hull plumbing penetrations through the balsa core.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 07:06   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Nigel Calder purchased his PSC 40 Nada with the idea that it would be strong enough to sail up on an underwater reef in Cuba and still be seaworthy. He was researching and surveying Cuba for a book he wrote. AFAIK he never tested her that way, but..

Yes the hull is balsa cored above the waterline. Nigel had some over the top IMO opinions about how to do hull plumbing penetrations through the balsa core.

David
Once you get the core wet it becomes an issue. Maybe that's why he was occupied.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 09:29   #6

"Once you get the core wet it becomes an issue. Maybe that's why he was occupied."

It is solid laminate in the layup schedule at any penetration through the hull sides. Where you need to watch balsa cored boats is if aftermarket thru-hulls are installed and the holes are not done in solid resin and then drilled for the fitting.

The 37' is the oldest of the three- 37', 40' & 44'.The 40' followed the 44'; the 44' was discontinued due to the popularity of the 40's- they still have the molds, so if you wanted to buy a new one most likely you could. The 37' went into production in 1980 and is still built. The 44 went from 1990 until 1995, when it was replaced by the 40', which they started building in 1996- and they are still available. The 40 is also built in a Pilothouse version.

Dave van den Arend
Crusader Yacht Sales (former Pacific Seacraft dealers)
Davevda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 10:30   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

the following is from their sales booklet: "A yacht like this could be taken off the production line and confidently sailed straight off into the sunset without another thought."....Yachting Monthly....DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 13:25   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
the following is from their sales booklet: "A yacht like this could be taken off the production line and confidently sailed straight off into the sunset without another thought."....Yachting Monthly....DVC
Right! And when you need some new electronics, if you hang stockings from the companionway ladder Santa will bring them to you...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-04-2012, 13:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Right! And when you need some new electronics, if you hang stockings from the companionway ladder Santa will bring them to you...

Cheers,

Jim
No, Jim- it's not stockings- it's stocks (or checks)!
Davevda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 19:58   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davevda View Post
No, Jim- it's not stockings- it's stocks (or checks)!
No Its Bearer bonds and lots of um from 1923..
Old 29-04-2012, 20:02   #11

They are a great boat, I would still buy a 37 happily if I could find one but a 40 seems acceptable to the admiral as well, just need to find one thats for sale and reasonably priced b my bank managers definition and not mine.

Oh Well lets see what happens.

Old 29-04-2012, 20:18   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
They are a great boat, I would still buy a 37 happily if I could find one but a 40 seems acceptable to the admiral as well, just need to find one thats for sale and reasonably priced b my bank managers definition and not mine.

Oh Well lets see what happens.
I think there is one at the factory or a nearby dealer in Washington NC that has one for sale..call252-948-1421 ask for Steve Brodey
Old 29-04-2012, 22:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The PSC 40 and 44 were being built well past 2002. PSC made VALIS (a PSC 44) for me in 2001, and I watched her being made. VALIS is hull #16, and I believe they made one or two 44's after that. The new Pacific Seacraft company is offering the full line now (I think the Dana molds went somewhere else).

The PSC line was indeed sail-away quality right off the line. The rigging and gear is excellent, and there's nothing you *need* to add. The standard equipment package is quite complete. Of course I've added stuff, but this is mainly racing rigging, and not needed for cruising.

As for being rugged, these boats are tight and solid. During days of sailing into big seas and living at a 20-degree heel, the doors all open and close, and nothing is breaking loose. I remember seeing a photo of Nigel Caulder's PSC 40 stuck completely out of the water, trapped on a drying rock. According to Nigel, there was no damage beyond some scraped bottom paint.

The boat is built with a liner, which some people don't like, but there is reasonable access to the hull in most areas. There isn't as much room down below as you will find on many similar-length boats, and they are heavier than most. Still, they have a lot going for them -- it just depends on what you are looking for.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft