Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2017, 16:35   #1

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'
Paint advice for deck and hull

Hi all:

I have a Morgan 41' OI that I currently refurbing in SW Florida. I plan to put her on the hard in a month or so for a deck and hull repaint. I've read some forums on how to approach this project and have decided not to use gelcoat or even a 2 part paint. I'm looking to finish this job within 3 weeks of pulling her and would like recommendations on one-part paints to use for deck, hull above water line, and hull below waterline.

I'm considering Interlux micron below water line, Brightside above water line and possibly even on the deck. I've also seen some good products from Pettit and Awlgrip also but have no experience to base my decision on.

I've also read posts where owners sand away all the the current grip on their decks and reapply. My preference would be to paint over the current gripping and apply more if necessary. Is that an option?

Any suggestions you guys have regarding any part of this project would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 16:44   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Paint advice for deck and hull

Don't use a single part paint unless you want to re-do it again and again. Gel coat would take forever (major labors). It's all about the primer too. Good prep, good primer and good paint.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 16:55   #3

I agree with Guy. The job is mostly labor. Use 2 part paint. Sure, paint over your non skid, not too thick.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 13:49   #4

Thanks guys! Would you suggest primer for hull and deck? Any particular brands of paint that good and cost effective?
Old 14-09-2017, 15:18   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Just about any epoxy primer works but some are super hard to sand. I like Interprotect 2000 for everything, top and bottom. The top coat is the expensive part. You see lots of Awl Grip paint products, but it's very expensive. If you shop around, look for a polyurethane that uses less catylist, for example a 2:1 is not as good as a 4:1. There are more solids in a 4:1 than a 2:1 product and the solids are what gives you shine and durability.
AwlGrip additives are great so if you don't use the paint you might use the thinners and retarders etc. They have some really slow drying stuff for a roll/brush job.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 16:49   #6

Great advice Guy! Thank you so much. So I assume I'll need to sand the primer coat before applying topcoat?

I have found some good deals on Rustoleum top coat. Do you have any experience with this product?

Also, do you happen to know of any good tutorials I can access for doing this job?
Old 15-09-2017, 17:00   #7

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Great advice Guy! Thank you so much. So I assume I'll need to sand the primer coat before applying topcoat?

I have found some good deals on Rustoleum top coat. Do you have any experience with this product?

Also, do you happen to know of any good tutorials I can access for doing this job?
Yes, sand the primer

I'm guessing you mean the Rustoleum Topside? Their enamel "yacht" paint? Most people here are going to advise against using an enamel as it is softer and won't last as long. I'm personally mixed on this. I like the cheapness and ease of application of enamel paints. I also like that they can be compounded into beauty after a repair. With two part paints, you need to repaint to a break point. Although, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, my 2-part knowledge is limited.

I have used a lot of enamels, including the Epifanes, which is probably overpriced for what it is, but it's very good paint if you know how to wield a brush. I've seen the Rustoleum Topside in Hardware stores, but haven't used it. Maybe try it on your dinghy first.

I wouldn't recommend Brightsides, too much $$$ for what it is and doesn't compound. That said, I mostly use Brightsides for work and my own boat because it's ubiquitous.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 17:14   #8

This boat is a 41 morgan and will live out its life on a mooring or slip...not that I'll have it more than another 2 or 3 years. Does permanent saltwater impact enamels much quicker?
Old 15-09-2017, 17:21   #9

Quote:
This boat is a 41 morgan and will live out its life on a mooring or slip...not that I'll have it more than another 2 or 3 years. Does permanent saltwater impact enamels much quicker?
If you clean and prep properly, an enamel is perfectly fine on topsides. It just scratches easier and fades faster. It should last 2-5 years depending on how you use the boat. If she is a marina queen in a temperate climate the paint could last a decade.

That said, if the boat is in unsettled water, like not flat marina or <5 knot basins and remains in contact with water too much, the paint may bubble. This happens to some people if they don't raise their waterline (bottom paint) before cruising.

The combination of a few thousand pounds of extra equipment and stores depresses the waterline and suddenly the boat is in anchorages and sailing close to 100% of the time so the bottom inch or two of topsides paint is basically wet all the time. This can cause minor bubbling. Not that big of a deal, but just raise your waterline if you think that will be an issue.
Old 15-09-2017, 17:44   #10

Quote:
http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Get...20Painting.pdf

This is a good read. Doesn't hurt to practice on some smaller areas/projects before you tackle your finish coat. Get a sense of how much thinner you need and your brush metering, etc. Never paint in the sun or wind or when there are bugs out or when it's going to dew, use as little thinner as possible, etc.

In practice, you work with the weather you get.
Old 15-09-2017, 18:00   #11

Thank you very much. I'm a complete novice on doing this so your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 16-09-2017, 13:38   #12

Good luck to you!
Old 16-09-2017, 14:19   #13

"...decided not to use gelcoat..."
Can I ask why? Also, I didnt know gelcoat was a topcoat. Thought it was an inverse layer sprayed into a mold as the outside finish and the inside, or surface, was rough or otherwise prepped for directly adhering layers of structure, not a slick, beautiful finish?
Am looking at visiting a boat, far away, that has new gelcoat on the hull and wonder about it now....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 18:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
"...decided not to use gelcoat..."
Can I ask why? Also, I didnt know gelcoat was a topcoat. Thought it was an inverse layer sprayed into a mold as the outside finish and the inside, or surface, was rough or otherwise prepped for directly adhering layers of structure, not a slick, beautiful finish?
Am looking at visiting a boat, far away, that has new gelcoat on the hull and wonder about it now....
Gelcoat is polyester resin with pigment, more or less. It's the default topcoat on most manufactured boats. It's often applied to the inside of a smooth female mold before the laminate layup, leaving a smooth, shiny surface finish for the topsides.

You can also apply gelcoat without a mold, then longboard or otherwise fair it. Compound and polish for a final finish.
Old 17-09-2017, 05:17   #15

Boat: no boat any more

is the original gelcoat really beyond salvage? wetsanding with 1000paper followed by buffing & a good polish will put another 2 or 3 years of life into it. nothing, absolutely nothing will ever be as tough & longlasting than the original gelcoat, least of all a one-component paint, particularly Brightside, an interior finish.

Tags
deck, hull, paint