Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2021, 11:39   #1

Boat: Looking
Parkins H28

Hi All

I'm new here. I used to sale when I was young with my father and now nearing retirement I'm thinking about getting a sailboat. Does anyone have any info on a Parkins H28? I haven't been able to find out much. They look nice but are they suitable for a new sailor on the Chesapeake. Mostly day sailing, single handed. How do they compare to a Shannon 28, which I'm also considering?

Thanks
Reedville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2021, 13:15   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Parkins H28

Welcome to the forum, Reedville.

There are not a bunch of either boat out there, so finding owners for advice may be difficult.

You have sailing experience, so starting with something of that size is not a problem. The Shannon hull is maybe a bit more "modern." Neither will win a bunch of races, but would be confortable for one person who doesn't need a bunch of space. I think that I would prefer either one to, say, a MacGregor.

It does occur to me that both are cutters, which means three sails to manage when you are single handed.
Old 25-06-2021, 13:22   #3

The Shannon's are highly respected. Not heard of the Parkins.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 02:38   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

We sailed an H-28 for years. The Hereshoff design was built in the next town over shortly after WWII. Still tied up in her slip at the club, ready to go. Perhaps the one you're looking at was built by someone named 'Parkins' - thus the lack of info. The H-28 is simple, capable, steady, sea kindly, and good-looking. Helena was rigged as a ketch, so did well reaching. She traveled from Connecticut to Maine and back for many years. Not too much draft, so pretty good for gunk holing. If that's what you're looking at, you may have found a nice boat.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 13:55   #5

Thank you all for your feedback. Yes Shannon's are a very good boat but a bit expensive. Parkins was a Florida builder using fiberglass. The boat your referring to I assume was wooden. While I've read great things about the wooden H28 I can't find much on the Parkins built fiberglass boats. There is one for sale in MD at a very reasonable price and it looks quite nice but given the lack of reviews I'm hesitant.
Old 26-06-2021, 15:24   #6

Boat: Sailboat 51'

Have you search this forum? Quick google search showed several threads on the H28. BTW, no less that 8 builders built the H28 so some might be really nice and some not so.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Kenatsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2021, 18:05   #7

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA

Owned a Staysail Yachts H28 I restored from Hurricane Gloria. Loved the boat as she was built to the lines of L. Frances Herreshoff
Beautiful boat - sailed wonderfully in light and heavy air. Ketch rig was a little much for such a small boat but it still was my favorite of 14 different boats..!
Old 26-06-2021, 20:13   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You should visit both boats, and see if you fit anywhere for sleeping. So much depends on the fitout. If you are over 6 ft. tall, or of a large build, it can be a problem, sometimes. Also, lack of standing head room can be a problem for tall people.

Ann
Old 18-08-2021, 13:19   #9

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

I have a parkins h28 in south florida, my previous boat was an allied seawind, i have fallen into a galeforce 34 so i will part with the parkins soon. My opinions reflect this bias.

I have looked at everyone i can find on the internet, but have not been aboard another one but saw the one you are looking at in the jabin yard in annapolis in may and agree it is good boat and a solid value. She is true to the herreshoff lines from the rub rail down (including the offset prop shaft with no aperature in the rudder) the cabin house is different from the origional design but is charming heavily cambered and provides ample headroom if your not a giant.

Overall i am blown away by the quality of design and craftsmanship in these parkins boats (on par with morris yachts and hinckley) incredible interiors that would be verryy expensive to reproduce today. My boat has no core anywhere except the cockpit locker lids, but i dont know that they were all built that way. The hullsides and underside of the deck are insulated and nicely finished inside the lockers...

That boat is worth looking at! It sails upwind about like you would expect looking at the underwater profile but it is a marvelously comfortable sea boat...

Good luck,
Ben
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 13:20   #10

The shannon is a gorgeous boat but bigger in volume and lighter and well built but not to the same standards the parkins
Old 19-08-2021, 15:32   #11

Boat: Pearson P-35

I recently looked at a Parkins H-28 that was on the hard in NH.
They are absolutely lovely-looking boats, if you appreciate traditional design.
That boat had significant deck core issues that frightened me away, but I still wish that I had the time and the inclination for a project boat.

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1983...-h-28-7928605/

I went the more conservative route, and I am buying a Pearson, family cruiser instead...
ramron67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 14:39   #12

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm thinking of going with the Shannon. partially because the H28 is so difficult to find. The one for sale that caught my attention sold shortly afterward
Old 16-09-2021, 15:56   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedville View Post
Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm thinking of going with the Shannon. partially because the H28 is so difficult to find. The one for sale that caught my attention sold shortly afterward
I havent listed my parkins yet but i intend to soon, she is on the hard in indiantown fl while i run a boat from maine to california for the next few months, heres a few pics let me know if your interested, she may be the most remarkable boat parkins built, bronze everything... clc east port pram... new ab refridge, solid yanmar... no core anywhere... i will dig up more pics, asking low 20's$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210822_125055.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	245423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210825-WA0003.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	245424