Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 21:36   #496

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28
Re: Part 2 - Columbia 29 refit, in the Rocky Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I’d strip the remaining chrome off that beautiful bronze and buff it to an even luster......if you think it would look out of place with the remainder of your hardware you can have it commercially chromed for reasonable price. Just give it to them as is and they will strip it before beginning the process of rechroming.

I cant argue with that logic, its lasted this long. Buffing it out would be BEAUTIFUL. Lewmar has some bronze winches and they look AMAZING. Would be stunning on an old classic. Cant bring myself to spend the money and honestly everything is looking like stainless at this point anyway so that ship has sailed but its beautiful.

Maybe just some real solid backing blocks to make it even more solid.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 20:57   #497

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwo...07?recordNum=3

Does anyone have any experience with heavy duty pop up cleats? Looking for robust and the best I have found so far are the Attwood, looking to see if anything better is around.
Old 13-04-2020, 08:50   #498
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406Columbia View Post
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwo...07?recordNum=3

Does anyone have any experience with heavy duty pop up cleats? Looking for robust and the best I have found so far are the Attwood, looking to see if anything better is around.
they leak so where were you thinking of putting them and considering there is no backing to carry the side loads where were you thinking of installing them?
Old 13-04-2020, 11:07   #499

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
they leak so where were you thinking of putting them and considering there is no backing to carry the side loads where were you thinking of installing them?

Rob,

Great questions! Thinking of putting two back by the lazerette and at least one forward by the windlass, or where the windlass will go. Regarding backing, the two near the lazerette I already bonded to the underside of the deck a couple sheets of 1/4'' G10. Not sure how much that increases side load, but I assume it would be the same issue with any cleat. What do you suggest to strengthen the backing for cleats other than a strong backer like G10?

Off the top of my head for side loading only thing I can think of would be for the bow ones at least. Is to make backers that span from one edge of the hull to the next, obviously from the backside within the chain locker. Maybe 3/4'' marine-ply epoxied in place and then a layer 1/4'' G10 laminated to the 3/4'' marine-ply. Maybe tie that in to some additional backer that is bonded to the hull going down vertically? I will post up a few photos of something like that mocked up in cardboard but its likely overkill, wouldn't weigh much though.

Still up in the air on exactly where and what will go on the decks for hardware. Always looking for good ideas so Rob or anyone else if you have a good deck setup that is strong and functional please post photos or diagrams.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 13-04-2020, 11:36   #500
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Rob,

Great questions! Thinking of putting two back by the lazerette and at least one forward by the windlass, or where the windlass will go. Regarding backing, the two near the lazerette I already bonded to the underside of the deck a couple sheets of 1/4'' G10. Not sure how much that increases side load, but I assume it would be the same issue with any cleat. What do you suggest to strengthen the backing for cleats other than a strong backer like G10?

Off the top of my head for side loading only thing I can think of would be for the bow ones at least. Is to make backers that span from one edge of the hull to the next, obviously from the backside within the chain locker. Maybe 3/4'' marine-ply epoxied in place and then a layer 1/4'' G10 laminated to the 3/4'' marine-ply. Maybe tie that in to some additional backer that is bonded to the hull going down vertically? I will post up a few photos of something like that mocked up in cardboard but its likely overkill, wouldn't weigh much though.

Still up in the air on exactly where and what will go on the decks for hardware. Always looking for good ideas so Rob or anyone else if you have a good deck setup that is strong and functional please post photos or diagrams.

Thanks in advance everyone.
on the stern for mooring they would be ok but I personally would not use one on the bow where the entire weight loading of the boat is placed especially anchored in heavy weather or heavy seas.
Old 13-04-2020, 11:55   #501

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yeah, I like having 4 big bolts holding a big cleat personally. I think the original cleats that came with the boat were pretty good, though you may go bigger, but I wouldn't go smaller. If snagging lines is the concern you could make shields to deflect lines sliding over the deck, but in practical use I think you'll find the benefits of a simple open cleat outweigh the drawbacks.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 21:21   #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yeah, I like having 4 big bolts holding a big cleat personally. I think the original cleats that came with the boat were pretty good, though you may go bigger, but I wouldn't go smaller. If snagging lines is the concern you could make shields to deflect lines sliding over the deck, but in practical use I think you'll find the benefits of a simple open cleat outweigh the drawbacks.

Unfortunately I don't have the originals and since Minney's is now shut down for a remodel am left with few local options on used heavy duty.
Old 13-04-2020, 22:38   #503
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have the originals and since Minney's is now shut down for a remodel am left with few local options on used heavy duty.
here is my eBay supplier for all my bronze needs he is good . Just ask him if he has any parts you may need .
Great deals from beachcombersbounty in Boat-Cleats- | eBay Stores

He is also local to me so
Old 13-04-2020, 22:40   #504

lots of good information and testing here for those looking at cleat sizing,etc.

https://www.boatus.org/findings/16/

We decided to order the largest size cleat our pocket book and deck space could handle. We went with a SeaDog heavy duty 12'' 316 investment cast cleat.

After of course the guys here talked me out of pop-up cleats (thanks). I tried to talk the admiral into the 15'' version, that went over like a lead balloon.

https://www.go2marine.com/Sea-Dog-He...caAqgPEALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sea dog heavy duty cleat.PNG
Views:	58
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	212823  
Old 13-04-2020, 22:45   #505

Quote:
here is my eBay supplier for all my bronze needs he is good . Just ask him if he has any parts you may need .

I will reach out to him! He has an aluminum cleat i want.
Old 13-04-2020, 23:38   #506

Quote:
lots of good information and testing here for those looking at cleat sizing,etc.

https://www.boatus.org/findings/16/

We decided to order the largest size cleat our pocket book and deck space could handle. We went with a SeaDog heavy duty 12'' 316 investment cast cleat.

After of course the guys here talked me out of pop-up cleats (thanks). I tried to talk the admiral into the 15'' version, that went over like a lead balloon.

https://www.go2marine.com/Sea-Dog-He...caAqgPEALw_wcB
Oh yeah, that'll do it! That is bigger than the original and should hold you fine in the big stuff! That's similar in shape to the original.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 13-04-2020, 23:41   #507

Quote:

I think that 8 1/8" bronze cleat there is the same as what came with our boats originally. That guy is a great resource!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-04-2020, 06:50   #508
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I think that 8 1/8" bronze cleat there is the same as what came with our boats originally. That guy is a great resource!
yep and even better for me I can go to his store in a local variety mall .
I have purchased several props from him . If you are looking for something he doesn't have let him know he will find it . Also he only has about half his stuff on the eBay store .
I will dig out his direct contact info for any interested . Just give me a few days.
Old 14-04-2020, 08:51   #509

Thanks for the help gentlemen. Glad we found something that looks original.
Old 16-04-2020, 14:26   #510

Hello,

After a few weeks of waiting we got in our gray foam mat 1/2'' from amazon. We are going to line all the fiberglass with it to reduce noise and provide some padding within lockers and such. Also we anticipate it will provide some minimal insulation.

Polished up the forestay chain-plate and was impressed with how nice it came out. Almost feel guilty putting chrome plate back on, but that and then clear coat will happen to protect it even more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	amazon foam.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	213036   Click image for larger version

Name:	-1688553496497896439.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	213037  

Name:	5799044084520438017.jpg