Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2024, 17:56   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Pattern for stackpack

Hi everyone,

I’m learning to sew and have a machine. I want to make my own stack pack. Given the kind of sailing I do (cruising and non-racing single handing) it makes sense. Does anyone know of where I can find a pattern for a stack pack? I already have the sunbrella I need. Thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2024, 18:24   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Pattern for stackpack

Sailrite has a video showing how to make the measurements for the pattern, and how to sew it all together.

Old 22-01-2024, 14:49   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Appreciate the post from WholyBee, but that's actually a Sailrite kitset not a pattern.
It would be fantastic if someone would chip in with a pattern or instructions as to how to make a pattern.
Any sail makers out there willing to share their expertise?
Old 22-01-2024, 15:47   #4

Boat: Columbia 36

No real pattern needed. Just furl the sail then measure the height at the mast and clew and the length along the boom. Connect the dots with straight lines. Then follow the instructions in the video, they're excellent. Anyone else's existing pattern wouldn't fit your sail and boom anyway.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 16:12   #5

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Yep, the Sailrite video in wholybee's response shows how to measure, lay out and sew the sail pack. As capt jgw says - no real "pattern" is needed. Sail packs are what you might call "bespoke." The video also talks about thread, gives some tips about "odd" things that may occur in sewing the sail pack, potential mistakes (and how to avoid them), and talks about how to install the sail pack on the boom and mast. It's worth watching even if you decide not to go that route.

The Sailrite "kit" simply contains the materials that one needs to make the sail pack - nothing is outlined on the fabric, straps, etc. You do that based on the measurements taken for your boat. The page linked to in wholybee's response also has some questions answered and another video that shows how to make a pack for a loose-footed sail.

Sailrite also offers a printed instruction booklet (#104786) that shows how to measure, lay out and make sail packs and "regular" sail covers.

Once you get a bit down the road on the sail pack you could consider modifying the Sailrite approach to fit your circumstances. I've found that most of the Sailrite kits are designed for coastal or inland cruising on smaller boats - so I've taken to beefing up some of the stitching and adding reinforcement to some places that get wear. You could also consider adding some Velcro to hold the battens in the pocket - like you often see on sails. Be creative!
Old 22-01-2024, 16:47   #6

Boat: Columbia 36

I made my stack pack by copying one from a boat we chartered. This was before Sailrite published that video. Mine turned out almost exactly the same as the Sailrite version. Maybe the one I copied was a Sailrite, I don't know.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 17:10   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Appreciate the post from WholyBee, but that's actually a Sailrite kitset not a pattern.
It would be fantastic if someone would chip in with a pattern or instructions as to how to make a pattern.
Any sail makers out there willing to share their expertise?
The video shows how to measure your flaked sail and make a pattern. The kit doesn't come with a pattern either. The kit is just the fabric and other notions, and the video/printed instructions.

Sailrite's website and youtube channel is very good to get familiar with. You can get the supplies anywhere and watch their video on how to sew it. They have hundreds of video projects, far more than they actually sell kits for.
Old 22-01-2024, 19:35   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 419

Mine was made by Ullman sails, it doesn't use a zipper.

They say with UV they fail

THey have velcro straps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4780.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	285582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4781.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	285583