Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2005, 20:45   #1

Boat: Seafarer, Swfitsure, 30 - Irish Rover
Pearson 10M

I know these "which boat" questions come up all the time, and I have searched in this and other forums, but havent come up with anything regarding the Pearson 10M.

I had been looking at the Tartan 34C, but wanted something a bit faster (judging by phrf ratings) so I found the Tartan 33, which sounds great but cant find too many for my price range (25-30) I then found the Pearson 10M, which has a even lower phrf rating.

I checked out an independent yacht survey from 1978 and they raved about the boat, excellent build, sailing characteristics, and layout. They believed it could be easily be an offshore boat. I'm not planning on full on offshore cruising, but its just something to compare to. (my seafarer 30 was rated as semi protected, the tartan 34c was rated as possibly offshore except they werent too keen on the single lowers)

I've read a few owners reviews on sailnet and all were positive. Any other opinions on this boat? I'm looking for something fairly fast, singlehandable, and sturdy enough to work my way down the islands someday. My seafarer 30 doesnt quite fit the bill.
Thanks!
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 11:49   #2

Boat: Pearson 10M
Sean,

Could you post a link to the survey you mention in your post? I have a Pearson 10M and would lover to read it. Thanks!
msoneji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 18:48   #3

They're great boats. They sail very well, reasonable construction, and the cockpit is a very good layout for single-handing. The helm is forward, so you can easily trim the main and jib from the helm. Not too many boats have that.

A few things to consider.

First, they all are old at this point, which means condition will be an important consideration. Likewise, they're likely to have dated equipment.

Second, most, if not all, of them came with gasoline engines. Plenty of boats have them, but if the PO has not yet repowered, you may be looking at that.

Third, they are a bit spartan. You can "cure" this for sure, but just be aware.

I have a really close friend who has been sailing his 10M for over 20 years at this point, he loves her, I've sailed on her quite a bit, and I really do like the boat. For club racing, day sailing, weekending, and possibly longer cruising for a couple with proper updating, you could do a lot worse.
danielgoldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:07   #4

Pearson 10M

Since SeanC has not replied...does anyone else on this forum know where I can find a copy of the "independent yacht survey from 1978" done for the Pearson 10M?

I own a 10M from the last 3 years and love it. Any help here would be appreciated. I would also like to connect to other Pearson 10M owners that are out there. I am in contact with a few only. Cheers!
Old 24-08-2010, 17:02   #5

Here is a link to Dan Pfeiffer's P10M site. Tons of great info there that will help any 10M owner and lots of other boat owners as well.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 21:26   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedoo View Post
Here is a link to Dan Pfeiffer's P10M site. Tons of great info there that will help any 10M owner and lots of other boat owners as well.

oops, forgot the link. Here it is:

P e a r s o n &nbsp&nbsp 1 0 M
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 21:07   #7

Boat: 1975 Pearson 10 Meter
Re: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by msoneji View Post
Since SeanC has not replied...does anyone else on this forum know where I can find a copy of the "independent yacht survey from 1978" done for the Pearson 10M?

I own a 10M from the last 3 years and love it. Any help here would be appreciated. I would also like to connect to other Pearson 10M owners that are out there. I am in contact with a few only. Cheers!
I now own a 1975 Pearson 10 meter. I previously had a Pearson 424, 1979. Great vessels. I`m happy with the 10 meter as she is a strong vessel. have you taken yours on any long cruises ?
cygnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 21:22   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
I now own a 1975 Pearson 10 meter. I previously had a Pearson 424, 1979. Great vessels. I`m happy with the 10 meter as she is a strong vessel. have you taken yours on any long cruises ?
Hi Cygnus, you might note that this thread was last posted in 2010. Might be better to start a new one.

Jim
Old 02-09-2020, 21:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus View Post
Hi Cygnus,

Sorry, have not logged in for a while. To answer your question: I haven't taken SeaFever for long cruises. Just Daysail in SF bay. How about you? Where are you located and have taken it?

Cheers!
Old 24-01-2021, 07:56   #10

Boat: Pearson 10m (33')

Hey guys! I'm a relatively new owner of a Pearson 10M (1975). Bought it last summer. So far, it's solid and fun to sail! I have a few update projects planned over the winter months (maintenance mostly).

It would be great to connect with other Pearson 10m owners to see what you like/dislike, where you sail it, and what modifications you've done.

Thanks!
ADVTRRCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 12:18   #11

Hello, I owned 1969 Pearson 35-- 1979 Pearson 424 Cutter / Ketch and presently have my 1975 Pearson 10 Meter. I like the older Pearsons as they are built very heavy and sail very well in heavy seas. We went to Newport R I. a few times on the outside. Took us 11 days, day and night sailing. I am located in Key Biscayne Fl. I am very happy with my 10 meter as she handles very well in 19 to 22 knts. breezes. I do not have to reef her. The only drawback I have is her 5` 10`` draft. In Fl. you have to watch that very close. I have a Yan mar 2-GM20 F. I got used to it after having a Westerbeke 60 in my 424. Yan Mar runs great , I change my oil and filter every 70 hours. I know that`s probably too often but oil and filter is cheap as opposed a new engine. Where do you sail your 10 Meter ? Fair Winds, Capt. Lawrence
Old 24-01-2021, 12:25   #12

I`m sorry ADVTRRCR, I sailed on Lake Michigan for many years. I sailed out of Montrose Harbor Chicago, , Skipper Bud`s Racine Wisc. and Mckinley Marina in Milwaukee Wisc. I do MISS that fresh water !! Capt. Lawrence
Old 28-01-2021, 11:13   #13

Boat: Pearson 10m (33')

Hey Cygnus! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Pearson! Mine is also a 1975. She needs a few minor things, but overall she's in good shape. Before buying her, we looked at Catalina, Irvin, C&C, among others - mostly daysailers. Then, we saw the Pearson and right away, you can immediately tell she was built way more robust: larger diameter stays, thicker mast & boom, solid anchors for chainstays, etc. It was an easy choice! I like the skeg hung rudder too.

Some upgrades I'm thinking about:
- adding a spinnaker pole (I have a 14.5' pole); need mounting bracket on the mast & topping lift
- still has the wire rope main halyard; considering a conversion to 10mm polyester line
- needs some new electronics: considering the Digital Yacht AIS/GPS w/WIFI so I can use an iPad for navigation.
- remaking the v-berth cushions
- rebedding windows

I sail from the Michigan side: South Haven, Holland, Grand Haven, Pentwater, Ludington. We only coastal sailed her last year, but this year we plan to take her over to Milwaukee and maybe some other places on the West side of the lake - maybe further North too but haven't decided yet. A dream trip would be to take her to the Atlantic but I'd want to outfit her better if that ever is considered.

So far, my impression sailing her is she is very solid! Your right, really good in 20 knots!

Have you made any modifications or done any upgrades to your Pearson 10M? Good note on changing the engine oil regularly!

Mike
ADVTRRCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 07:15   #14

Hello fellow P-10M folks!

I'm sorry I didn't see the new posts in the this thread until this morning. In June of 2019 I purchased Crescent (formerly NewSpirit and before that Rim Shot) and sailed her from Eastport, Maine down to Portland. I lived aboard through September 2020 at which point my partner decided boat life just wasn't for her and we got an apartment. Still happily sailing and working on Crescent though!

I'd love to connect with other P-10M owners. I'm by no means in the same league as Dan Pfeiffer, but I lived aboard her for over a year, put in a lot of coastal miles in Maine, and have done a fair bit of work on her.

My impression is that the 10Ms are solidly built boats that punch way above their weight, but at this point in their lives need some TLC to keep on truckin'. I love Crescent, but when I got her she was definitely rough around the edges. I have made progress, but there is still a lot of polishing to do.

On July 2nd Crescent I sailed 73 miles from the yard where she was on the hard for the winter back to our mooring. We had sustained winds of 20 kts, gusts to 30 kts, and 6-9 foot seas. I believe USCG had issued a small craft advisory. Crescent took everything in stride with a double reefed main and maybe 6 feet (along the foot) of headsail unfurled. We averaged 6.4 kts, hit 8.1 kts at one point, and sailed most of the day at hull speed (~7.3 kts).

Here's a list of some of the project I have done so far in no particular order:
  • Replaced old traditional head with a compositing one (highly recommend)
  • Installed Dickinson Newport diesel heater
  • Built new stern rail
  • Mounted 2 x 325 watt solar pannels over the cockpit for power and to server as a bimini.
  • Added a battery monitor and partially refreshed the electrical system.
  • New ground tackle consisting of a 33 lb Rocna, 200 feet of 5/16 HT chain, and 200 feet of 5/8 triple braid.
  • Replaced the mid-ship port lights with opening ones. I have the parts to do the forward ones as well, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Dan Pfeiffer has a good write up on this project.
  • Installed Chinese forced air diesel heater. Basically an affordable version of Espar.
  • Faired the bottom and repainted.
  • Repainted topsides and added new name and home port decals.
  • Added 700 watt Renogy inverter. Used mostly for charging laptops.
  • In the processes of re-rigging with DIY dyneema. Have replaced all four lowers and will do the cap shrouds and back stay this summer. Forestay will get replaced with new steel for roller furling.
  • New main sail and 125 genoa are currently in production at Precision sails.

Up coming projects include: anchor windlass, foredeck recore, wind vane self steering, dyneema life lines, re-bedding all stanchions, and class B AIS install. Long term plans include at least a trip to the Bahamas and possibly further.

I love my 10M and would love to learn from others about our boats and share what I know.

Fair Winds,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3533.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	241911  
CrescentSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 09:32   #15

Hey Dan!

I'm also a new Pearson 10M owner in (midcoast) Maine, and we're loving it so far. It would be great to connect. My wife and I are pretty new to sailing, and this is our first sailboat. The previous owner did a lot of great things to her which I think you'd like to see.

I have a question about your composting head - how did you do it/what model? We really wanted to go composting, but we were recently told that none of the composting options would fit. Do you have any pics?

I'd also be interested in helping with some of your projects if feasible (depending on your location).

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
Matt
_Matt_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson