Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2015, 10:50   #31

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA
Re: Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Subscribed! I'll be routing for you.

Are you going to post updates along the way?

Thanks.

I might start a Facebook page or just do a photo blog thing, whichever way, I'll post a link here before I leave.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:34   #32

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by theway View Post
Thanks.

I might start a Facebook page or just do a photo blog thing, whichever way, I'll post a link here before I leave.
Well, I'm just getting into cruising, so I don't have much advice...

But if I could make an equipment suggestion, I'd say you need a GoPro camera.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:45   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Well, I'm just getting into cruising, so I don't have much advice...

But if I could make an equipment suggestion, I'd say you need a GoPro camera.

Haha, I just bought 2 last week
Old 30-01-2015, 12:03   #34

Boat: Dragon

I've singlehanded with radar and without. With is better. There will be times where you will be very relieved to have it...
Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:18   #35

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Jim Cate, You mention going to a Manson Supreme 60 lb anchor for your 46' vessel. I plan on sporting the MS anchor but wonder about which size. I am currently re-constructing a 47' Alden ketch which will have a displacement of just under 36,000 lbs when completed. The sizing charts seem to indicate I could do well with a 60 lb MS but then I hear folks talk about going one size up. Since I plan on having 2 bow anchors the 80 lb anchor X 2 adds 40 lbs and much larger to boot. Not that 40 lbs would make much difference given the amount of chain I will carry - I guess it's the idea of conserving funds/deck area, etc. If I don't need an 80 lb anchor, I don't want to buy it.

Have you been happy with the 60 lb MS anchor? Given your experience I would assume you have sized the anchor to be big enough for most circumstances so I appreciate your opinion. Thanks
G'Day COBG,

In general, yes, I think our anchor is adequate for our boat: quite light for her length (12 tonnes laden for cruising, full tanks) and relatively low windage. For your much heavier yacht with more windage from the ketch rig, I'd think the 80 would be a better choice. You have to size things for not only high winds but lousy bottoms, for sometimes one must anchor in less than ideal situations.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 29-03-2015, 13:16   #36

I plan on leaving in a week, you can join me here:
https://www.facebook.com/exodusenchantress
Old 29-03-2015, 18:20   #37

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I wish you the best of luck! This is so cool. Can't wait to follow your exploits.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 18:41   #38

Electrical repair kit :

Spare wire incl. 34 ft of 2 core boat cable
Fuses
Bulbs (Nav lights and interior lights)
Heat shrink, cable ties, crimps, crimper, soldering iron (gas), spare gas, solder, compact blowtorch for heat shrink
Small DVM with 10ft leads and large alligator clips for troubleshooting DC system
Insulation tape
Wire strippers
Old 30-03-2015, 15:39   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Electrical repair kit :

Spare wire incl. 34 ft of 2 core boat cable
Fuses
Bulbs (Nav lights and interior lights)
Heat shrink, cable ties, crimps, crimper, soldering iron (gas), spare gas, solder, compact blowtorch for heat shrink
Small DVM with 10ft leads and large alligator clips for troubleshooting DC system
Insulation tape
Wire strippers

I have some of that, no soldering iron or torch. I plan to sail, not be an electrician. But really, thanks for the ideas.

Old 01-04-2015, 23:01   #40

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

I'm with Duct Tape on the radar thing, I also have single handed (about 30K miles) and radar lets you sleep properly, its not just for fog.....you will be going round some busy capes and headlands.

I never had a SSB, just and epirb called Scotty. When you are alone you want to be alone....
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2015, 17:40   #41

Where are you at? Im in southern CA. If your looking for crew be sure to stop by ventura harbor and hit me up.
Keep us updated we are all wishing you the best.

brigoldburg@gmail.com
sailfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2015, 09:15   #42

Well I didn't make it to Hawaii, but I did find out what's at the top of my list for reasons I will become a wanna be. Seasickness! I started feeling it the first day out of the Golden Gate. My next attempt will definitely include a bundle of Dramamine. I made it two days out and 300 miles off shore. The incidents started pretty early.

1: The major problem was seasickness. This was a big deal. I couldn't eat, nor function very well. I threw up the first day, but managed to keep some food down the second day. I still wasn't enjoying myself. But continued. My reasoning became that if I throw up again I should probably turn around because I can't do much with out energy and it would only get worse.

2: I was caught on a fishing buoy and line less than 10 miles from the bridge. This wasn't a big deal but a definite pain to think about when not feeling well. Hanging off the back of the boat with a boathook was only going to make it worse. The buoy and line eventually cleared when the length of line ran out.

3: The final straw came the second night when three tankers were approaching, all heading west. All of them showed up on my AIS screen and one was headed straight for me, 4 miles east. There was no wind, the night was calm and clear. I figured I would fire up the Yanmar and slowly motor out of its way. Engine cranked, put it in gear and it stalled, tried again, same result. I got the tanker on the radio and told him about my situation. He was able to see me and divert his course. I went to sleep and waited for wind, it never came. The morning came and brought light. I looked aft and saw a line trailing my craft. I looked over and could see it was a large net of some sort. I'm still not sure where this net came from, but it was there and I decided then that this was not my time to make it to Hawaii. I escape the first hang up cleanly, so this second hangup must have been picked up later. I threw on the wet suite and jumped in with my knife. I took a breath and tucked under. The water was so clear and the colors were amazing! I swam to the prop and could see that it was tangled but loosely. I removed the net in two location (without needing the knife) and it was free. I came up for air and climbed out. I started the engine and put her in gear, Enchantress moved forward. I set a course for California and I immediately felt better. A crisp breeze came from the southwest and the seas were following the whole way back. I still dont know why I felt so much better on the way back, but the moment I decided to return I wasn't seasick anymore. Maybe it was the different motion of the boat or maybe it was all in my mind. There was definitely more wind and rocking on the way back with the following seas, but maybe my body handles that motion better than a beam reach which I had going out.

Anyway, I arrived at SLO bay and stay for a week, and then slowly made my way down to Ventura where I found a slip. The dolphins were very welcoming on the way in, which was only an introduction to how nice Ventura is, definitely the folks in the harbor. All in all the journey was a great treat and I've learn a fair amount. Ill lay low for another year or two and do some trips to the channel islands, while keeping my mind set on another attempt further west.
Old 22-04-2015, 09:21   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailfun View Post
Where are you at? Im in southern CA. If your looking for crew be sure to stop by ventura harbor and hit me up.
Keep us updated we are all wishing you the best.

brigoldburg@gmail.com
I ended up in Ventura. Funny world. I'll email you today.
Old 22-04-2015, 10:26   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

To my thinking you did the right thing turning back. My wife suffered from sea sickness constantly when we were mono-boat sailors. She then discovered cats and has not suffered since. For my own part, I was advised about 30 years ago to have a big English breakfast every morning so that I wouldn't dry retch. After a few lost breakfasts, I was not overcome again.
Hope you overcome your malady.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 00:49   #45

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

So sorry you turned back, sea sickness is terrible although I reckon you were over it by the time you turned around probably.

Sailing near land is the most dangerous part of solo sailing, its not the waves that get you, it land and ships and fishing hazards, similar to jumping from a plane without a parachute, its not the height that kills you..

Anyway, long distance solo sailing is not everyone's cup of tea and now you know its not yours.

ALTHOUGH:

On the sea sickness bit, I was a pro diver, mainly oilfield work, from 18 to 28 and I suffered but eventually got over it, I think when I had responsibility, ie: was in charge, certainly on my own boats never suffered, so if you still want to go I reckon a few sails out of your marina will cure you now, go solo, a couple of days and you will soon see.

Best of luck, hope you can replace the dream OK if you have to.
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, enc, navigation, pearson