Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2015, 04:28   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose
Re: Pearson 323: Enchantress Circumnavigation Plan

Don't give up. I have a lot of experience with seasick crew. While Dramamine works, one has to take it several hours before departure from the dock. Some people prefer intradermal Scopalamine which is a small patch that one places behind one's ear. These patches last for 3 days.

I have experiences with seasick crew and after three days at sea and the Scopalamine patch is expired, the crew has found their sealegs and don't require any further medication.

Of course, even if one has been at sea for many days, a storm and rough conditions can bring on the symptoms.

Besides Scopalamine, Dramamine, there are several other compounds for motion sickness and there are some natural remedies. Ginger, raw, in capsules, works for some, cannabis is a known remedy for motion sickness, but may cause judgment impairness.

There also wrist bands that press on a specific acupressure point and I have even see special glasses that cure the malady.

If you enjoy being on the water and are susceptible to motion sickness, there are ways to circumvent that problem. Don't give up on your dream...

Get a folding propeller.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2015, 05:49   #47

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I was silently cheering you on this journey. I have the same boat and as a kid daydreamed about going round the world. Would have liked to see a 323 make the journey.

Five years ago my first time offshore I felt slightly queezy for less than an hour through lumpy seas near the pass. On the boat daily since and that was the only time ever feeling that way.

Maybe after a couple more offshore sails it will show that your first day out was not the norm and you can set off around the world after all.
Old 23-04-2015, 06:30   #48

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

I just saw this today.

I really admire your plan and you need to continue.

Seasickness is as much about stress as anything else.

I traveled up and down the east coast twice and only got seasick a few times, the first occurred when we were trapped by a lobster pot pine for 6 hours in Maine.

When we started the Atlantic Passage, I realized right on that I got seasick almost immediately.

The Scopolamine patch works very well for me. I kept it on almost the entire trip and the one day on leaving Horta, I figured I didn't need it anymore, I did.

The only drawback is with the patch, If already feeling seasick, I must get some sleep for it to take effect. I kept it on for the rest of the trip, replacing every two days.

AIS. simple question, how many sailboats hit a larger boat? How many get run over by said larger boat?

You need to spend the extra few hundred bucks and get a transceiver. Then they see you and will give you plenty of room. YOU can not depend on just your side if you are single handing.

I could not see single handing without radar. I know plenty have. AIS transceiver is probably more important that radar, everything else being equal.

BUT you are going to be underway at night, forget fog, a radar alarm, will actually let you get the rest you will need.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 02:45   #49

Boat: Unique 1400 14M
Send a message via Skype™ to brightontrader

AIS doesn't pick up tuna net buoys, half submerged containers as in Robert Redford's last film, or pirate vessels, who tend not to broadcast their whereabouts I suspect!

When I did my long distance stuff there was no AIS however I had a (and have again now) a steel boat.....which bounces off most stuff. I did actually hit what I thought may have been a container near the Azores, it put a 3" dent in my keel and pushed my skeg over 5 inches, I think a plastic boat would have been de keeled or at least lost its rudder.

What I am trying to say is: GRP production cruiser/racer need to be more vigilant so Radar is a must have. With newer models they use don't anything like the power the older models used to. I used to get the full 8 hours sleep on Ocean bits, not all this 20 mins catnapping business you hear about.
brightontrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:53   #50

Boat: 1980 Pearson 323 - 34ft LOA

I will definitely continue. The parts I haven't disclosed yet is that I'm expecting a child in July, the mother has been making life more difficult than need be. This has added much stress to my departure. My brother is also having his first in December. The mental debates and feelings of guilt took quite a toll. As for more physical abilities, I'm finding that when I'm cold I am more likely to get seasick. My neck gets tight and my muscles fatigue from the strain that comes with cold tight muscles, this tension translates to my brain and I start feeling nauseous. Ill be sure to have all available meds for treating seasickness the next time I go.

I think the AIS transceiver is a good idea, and will have one the next attempt.
theway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 16:29   #51

Boat: Pearson 323

We did the similar things, we bought grey ghost(1977 Pearson 323) in 2011 on eBay.
She was in Oakland and we were in China, we never sail or own a boat before, she was sat in estuary for 15 years. but we wanted to live on it and sail back to Asia with her.

We did some sea sick training, our first training was riding on a delivery mission with friend from Ventura back to Berkeley, my wife was "dead" three days straight, can't eat, can't move at all on the entire trip until we back to Berkeley.

And I found seasick can get used to it, we tried anchor right north side of the gate, off at Bolinas beach, rock as hell, try to live aboard there and found seasick disappeared after three days.

We harbor hopping down the coast all the way to Mexico, had seasick every single time when we untied the dock line and leave the harbor. But we also find out the time of sea sickness is getting shorter and shorter, I personally never tried sea sick medicine before, and getting away from sea sick time were down to 1.5 days from 3 days.

We sail to Hawaii, meet our old friends in the Bay Area at Hawaii yacht club during their transpac, sailed to Saipan meet new friend and join local kendo community so we have hot tub on roof after practice XD, sail to ogasawara and become adopted child with local fishmen's family.(previous yakuza). Sailed to Okinawa and dodge the typhoon haiyan( biggest storm recorded on recent 50 years history) meet lots of people and also the first big city since we left Hawaii, and back to Taiwan our home.

I think buying a boat is the worst investment financially, but best investment in life if we use it to sail around and go places.
Wotata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 18:44   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotata View Post
We did the similar things, we bought grey ghost(1977 Pearson 323) in 2011 on eBay....

Amazing story, thank you for sharing. Everyone keeps telling me on the third day it's all good. I guess it wa in my case to but I already commuted to turn around. It was welcomed emotionally and even if the seasickness went away I was still not 100% committed to the journey at the time.

With more experience and a clearer head I think I'll get where I want to go.

How do you like the 323? Any pics? Or specific 323 stories to share?

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time to write.
Old 25-05-2016, 19:00   #53

I made it to Hilo.

Thank you again everyone for your support over the years. This forum is an amazing community.

I think I'm going to stay here and cruise the islands vs continue on a circumnavigation... The time at sea is a bit daunting for me at this stage in my life.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1464227691.621511.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	124892

Tags
circumnavigation, enc, navigation, pearson