Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2012, 11:07   #1

Pearson 323, How it Sails in Light Wind.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this community and read a lot in your forum lately, because I am seriously considering a Pearson 323.

I am reading a lot …and I mean a lot. I just finished “The Annapolis Book of Seamanship” and I am actually taking the ASA 101 as well as the VHF classes. It would be my first vessel. Yes I know the 323 is quite big, but I really want to sail with my family and I am 6’0’’ tall. I want to be able to sail few days without feeling too cramped in the tight space of a 25-27 footer.

The Pearson 323 seems to answer all my needs. But here is the question on which I would like you guys to answer...

How the Pearson 323 handles in low 4-5 knots winds. I would navigate mainly on a fresh water lake and wonder if it is more a “sea” boat with such a big displacement. Wind is not always strong here. I have no problem cruising at low speed since I am not the racer who wants to win type. If I do race, I will be there for the ride and the learning challenge itself.

I am the cruiser type, but I would not like to always run on the motor as well. So how much wind it really needs to start moving? Would I enjoy cruising the 323 in light wind?

Thanks in advance!
Fragq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:11   #2

Re: Pearson 323, How it Sails in Light Wind.

We just purchased a P-30 this year and love it! She's pretty quick in light winds, actually, and extremely comfortable. I've had some difficulty running down wind in a wing-and-wing set but that's probably more my issue than the boats.

I'm 6' as well and the 30 is just about right although I wouldn't mind the couple of extra inches you'll have on the 323. At 5'3", the Admiral is just fine!

In short, I don't believe that there's a better boat for the money. Jump at it and, if you find yourself on Lake Michigan, give us a shout!

Gary
Se'id Meis
Seid Meis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:31   #3

How much sail are you willing to put up? If you keep the maximum sail area up and sail the boat well, tweaking as you go , it'll sail fine. If you just throw a couple sails up and leave them set... probably not so well. People with Westsail 32's regularly finish the Trans Pac race in the middle of the pack.... for cruising I wouldnt worry too much about it, the Pearson is a pretty middle of the road displacement boat really.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2012, 10:47   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

More displacement, more sail area needed to move the boat. Universal, doesn't matter whether it's a swimming pool, lake or the Pacific Ocean. Check the sail inventory to see if there is a #1/150% genoa. That is usually the largest headsail and the sail you'll want for light air. A reacher/drifter sail for really light air or reaching is also a sail you might find useful. If you've got those sails all should be fine with the Pearson.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 05:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragq View Post
Hi everyone,

I am new to this community and read a lot in your forum lately, because I am seriously considering a Pearson 323.

I am reading a lot …and I mean a lot. I just finished “The Annapolis Book of Seamanship” and I am actually taking the ASA 101 as well as the VHF classes. It would be my first vessel. Yes I know the 323 is quite big, but I really want to sail with my family and I am 6’0’’ tall. I want to be able to sail few days without feeling too cramped in the tight space of a 25-27 footer.

The Pearson 323 seems to answer all my needs. But here is the question on which I would like you guys to answer...

How the Pearson 323 handles in low 4-5 knots winds. I would navigate mainly on a fresh water lake and wonder if it is more a “sea” boat with such a big displacement. Wind is not always strong here. I have no problem cruising at low speed since I am not the racer who wants to win type. If I do race, I will be there for the ride and the learning challenge itself.

I am the cruiser type, but I would not like to always run on the motor as well. So how much wind it really needs to start moving? Would I enjoy cruising the 323 in light wind?

Thanks in advance!
Don't think it's too big. SOunds great for your needs. Don't know specifically about the light winds but not too heavy and should be fine. I'm a fan of Pearsons in general.
CBinRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2012, 11:48   #6

Boat: Judel/Vrolijk 33

A great boat and perfectly fine in light air, especially if your not a racer. Of course the condition of the sails also helps.
I bet you will be very happy with it.
The one I've been on had a V-drive. Not that this is bad. The boat I own has one also.
You just might want to inspect it thoroughly. They can be finicky.

rb
Barney Post is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, sails, wind