Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 11:25   #16

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Pearson 33 with pressure dents from jack stands

The chainplate attaches to the hull, right where the indent is located.
Its a 1974 Pearson 30. They are well known for having a thick strong hull.

Your comments have reminded me that I always attach a fender to that stay (no other convenient attachment point or toe rail). Perhaps the pressure of some big wind (or collision while I was away) could be responsible.

Pix are coming...This is a whole nother story, but after crossing the atlantic, with 16Gb of video and pictures of the trip of a lifetime...my camera was stolen just days before my return to canada. So I've got to borrow a camera....after the loss of those pictures and video (like whales under the boat), I just can't seem to buy myself a new one.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11   #17

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The chainplate attaches to the hull, right where the indent is located.
Its a 1974 Pearson 30. They are well known for having a thick strong hull.

Your comments have reminded me that I always attach a fender to that stay (no other convenient attachment point or toe rail). Perhaps the pressure of some big wind (or collision while I was away) could be responsible.

Pix are coming...This is a whole nother story, but after crossing the atlantic, with 16Gb of video and pictures of the trip of a lifetime...my camera was stolen just days before my return to canada. So I've got to borrow a camera....after the loss of those pictures and video (like whales under the boat), I just can't seem to buy myself a new one.

Hamburking, It could be possible that a highly inflated fender could have dented the hull if the hull was very hot for an extended period of time and the pressure was highly concentrated. But, dont forget, the hull on your boat is .29" on the hull and .21" up to the toe rail. It is possible that the hull deflected if unsupported/reinforced over a considerable distance. Also, sorry to hear about the unfortunate loss of your camera after your Atlantic crossing, but remember, there is no camera that can give you the pleasure of your exciting and considerable achievement as the one that is recorded in your mind. You will never loose those pictures and they will live with you forever. Here's a report on your beautiful boat by Jack Horner that I thought you might like for your records. www.boatus.com/boatreviews/sail/Pearson30.asp
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 13:31   #18

OK...I've tried to attach the pic to this post...hope it works.
Look for the teardrop shaped distortion in the reflection.
Unfortunately, the hull is just too darn shiny...and is very hard to photograph.

The good news....when I went down today to take some pix...the dent was at least 50% smaller. It was much less pronounced. Previously, I could spot it a mile away...well, from the road at least. Today I actually had to look for it. I have high hopes that it will continue to deminish.

If it reduced because I slacked off the rig...that might not be so good. Won't it just come back when I tune up...or when sailing?

And yes, thats where a fender sits, pushing on the dock, dark coloured hull during the blistering summer heat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dent.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	56254  
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
OK...I've tried to attach the pic to this post...hope it works.
Look for the teardrop shaped distortion in the reflection.
Unfortunately, the hull is just too darn shiny...and is very hard to photograph.

The good news....when I went down today to take some pix...the dent was at least 50% smaller. It was much less pronounced. Previously, I could spot it a mile away...well, from the road at least. Today I actually had to look for it. I have high hopes that it will continue to deminish.

If it reduced because I slacked off the rig...that might not be so good. Won't it just come back when I tune up...or when sailing?

And yes, thats where a fender sits, pushing on the dock, dark coloured hull during the blistering summer heat.
Hamburking, I can't see how your chainplate would have an effect on the indentation when it doesn't attach to the outside hull, but rather the deck and then below to a bulkhead. There obviously would be an effect on the hull and cabintop if the rigging was grossly overtuned, but the dent seems odd. And, one would think once the force was removed from the load point (ie; the fender scenario) it would disappear. There are two very knowlegeable members here who probably could provide additional scenarios for your problem: Minaret and Roverhi. I would suggest contacting them through a PM for another perspective. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:14   #20

The indent seems to be deminishing on its own. After reading many other posts about indents, this seems common once the "force" has been removed.

I'm wondering if perhaps the bulkhead contracted due to the cold, sucking the hull in with it. The temps were pretty cold (-20C) when I first noticed this problem. Now that it is warming up (0C) the problem is going away. The problem is on the north, colder, side of the boat.

Another clue...the large piece of wood under the keel cracked and split over the winter. I'm pretty sure the keel is at least 1/2" lower than when she was hauled. This info was hidden beneath the snow until just recently. I checked all the pads, and there are no indents near any of them. Its a 6 pad cradle.

I also must remind myself...the boat is almost 40 years old. Who knows what has happened over all that time.

Thank you for encouraging me to post a pic. Seeing that pic on my computer screen has reminded me that I've got a great boat (and very shiny), and I'm going to be sailing her again really soon. I was so focused on the dent, that I forgot about all the other good stuff.

And finally, thank you to everyone who offered advice. It seems alot easier to tackle these issues when you don't feel so alone. In this case, the problem seems to have resolved itself. Of course I'll keep a good eye on it, just in case.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:23   #21

The big picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter 066.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	416.5 KB
ID:	56323  
Old 06-03-2013, 11:42   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The hull will have some reinforcing for that chain plate. Probably a bulkhead or partial bulkhead. Check to make sure that the bulkhead has not broken loose from the tabbing.

Are you saying that the keel is just hanging above the blocking? The keel should be taking all the weight of the boat and the stands are just holding it upright.

I really couldn't see anything in those pics because of the glare.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 15:44   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Are you saying that the keel is just hanging above the blocking? The keel should be taking all the weight of the boat and the stands are just holding it upright.
No, the keel is not haning, but the blocking is crushed down.

It was very difficult to get a picture of the dent. I took about 50 shots, from all different angles and distances. I posted the only one I thought it was at all visible. But hey, thats good news, the dent is diminishing. Normally, having a nice shiny hull is a good thing.

Tags
pearson