Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2022, 20:12   #31

Boat: Tanzer 22 to learn to sail on .
Re: Pearson 365/357

My wife and I are on a smaller budget , but not poor ! We are researching sailboats for a purchase down the road , several years in all likelihood! At this point in our research, time and again the Pearson 323/ 365/367 keeping giving us good reason to think seriously about them .

As newbies, with almost zero experience, although we have purchased a Tanzer 22 to learn on this summer . We started looking for full keel , heavy , save our souls boat in the beginning, lol. We however find this less the case , as we become more knowledgeable.

So one thing I wonder and would love to hear back on , form those who have real life experience. The Pearson 323/365/367 . What are theirs abilities to heave to ? When the sea gets the better of you , and you have chosen this tactic , how did the boat fair , given that it is a fin keel , with skeg , rather than a full keel tank like the Westsail32 ,

Realize that you are real fans of these boats , but would love some real life experiences , thank you very much for those that take the time and effort to reply.
Lady Captin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 13:18   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch

I own a Pearson 365. I have a 1980 ketch model and have had it for about two years. The mast is indeed stepped on the keel. As for being blue-water, with the exception of a shallow draft I would say its built like one. Its a very solid boat. Very heavy for its size (17K). It doesn't sail like a race boat, but its a comfortable boat in rough seas. The ketch model really gives you more options for sails. That can be a pro and a con at the same time. More options can mean more work. I love this boat. If you have any detailed questions about the boat, feel free to message me.
Pearson365Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 07:44   #33

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I own a 367. To answer your question, the boat will indeed heave to, and stay hove to. But you will find the best approach is to time your passages so as to avoid weather in which you feel the need to heave to. Not possible on ocean passages, but for Bahamas and Caribbean, where your longest leg is maybe 150 miles, it should be.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 08:45   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Hello to all, we are totally new to sailing and are in the beginning stages of researching for our Bluewater boat. On the list at the moment is the Pearson 365/367 and I would like to know if they have a keel stepped Mast or Deck stepped. It funny how its not always easy to google the answers you seek.

Does anyone know where we could find mast info on any boats to know for sure Deck step/ Keel stepped. As we have discovered the post in the living are could be a compression post only and not for sure a keel stepped mast.

Any Info on these boats would be helpful. We hear some say that the Pearson 365/367 are not Bluewater boats, while other say yes. As we are new to all this, we are a little more fearful of being caught in the perfect storm, too many sailing movies, lol.

we are considering Cape Dory/ Pearson/ Bayfield/ Westsail, in 32-36 range at this point. We are afraid to go bigger and be boat poor, and as a result over whelm my limited pension. This is just to name the major contenders at this point ( Early in our search). it seems the more we know, the less we know and more confusion we face, lol
Ask the broker. Mostly those are mast stepped. You can tell by looking at pics of the deck to see if wires are coming out of the mast and going through the deck. If they are it’s a Deck Step. You can also look at pics of the interior. If you see the mast inside the boat you know it’s keel stepped
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:12   #35

Boat: Cal 39 MKII

I have owned a number of sailboats including the Pearson 365 Ketch - main mast keel stepped Mizzen deck stepped.
I lived on the 365 for 13 months with 3 small children (4,10,13 yo) and we sailed from Maine to the Out Islands and back on the Pearson.
Two important points that were not raised, she is a very solid boat (no core in hull) and only draws 4.5 ft which is important if you want to go to the Bahamas or down the ICW. The second point is that it was originally made with a V drive, this means that the engine is "backwards" and the V drive redirects the shaft back to the stern. This is not in itself a problem, but adds an additional age/wear mechanical potential. My 365 was refitted with a new Yanmar and Saildrive (comes with its own problems). Also the 365 did not come with a triatic. I used the inner staysail halyard as a triatic - helped keep the mizzen from bouncing.
Finally, the 365 had a standing separate shower in the head (world of difference for my wife on the 13 month cruise).
Be happy to answer any other questions on the 365 and its sea worthiness.
I have found with these older boats, it is typically not about the state of the boat when it was built but about the prior owners and their upkeep
epoxyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 07:22   #36

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
I think that some boat owners can indeed be that silly.

When I walk around almost any marina and look at the condition of some boats - you know what I mean, there's almost always a few - that are just falling apart from lack of even a courtesy cleaning, well, as with anything else....
That was ours when we bought it. Absolutely filthy, slime growing on the deck, wipe the cockpit fiberglass and my hand would come away white. The canvas had never seen waterproofing, so leaked like a sieve and absorbed a gallon of silicon. But one has to be able to discern between cosmetic neglect and structural ruin.
Old 05-02-2022, 18:15   #37

Boat: Pearson 365 and Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Captin View Post
Hello to all, we are totally new to sailing and are in the beginning stages of researching for our Bluewater boat. On the list at the moment is the Pearson 365/367 and I would like to know if they have a keel stepped Mast or Deck stepped. It funny how its not always easy to google the answers you seek.

Does anyone know where we could find mast info on any boats to know for sure Deck step/ Keel stepped. As we have discovered the post in the living are could be a compression post only and not for sure a keel stepped mast.

Any Info on these boats would be helpful. We hear some say that the Pearson 365/367 are not Bluewater boats, while other say yes. As we are new to all this, we are a little more fearful of being caught in the perfect storm, too many sailing movies, lol.

we are considering Cape Dory/ Pearson/ Bayfield/ Westsail, in 32-36 range at this point. We are afraid to go bigger and be boat poor, and as a result over whelm my limited pension. This is just to name the major contenders at this point ( Early in our search). it seems the more we know, the less we know and more confusion we face, lol
She is a good solid boat, blue as can be, with an exceptional galley. The mast is keel stepped the issue with the mast is differential metal (alumina mast on a steel foot that leads to corrosion, resolved by inserting a composite or nylon foot after cutting short and making up the difference with the insert.
piloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 21:15   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 43 Deck Salon

I owned the 367 cutter version and it was a great boat. The new owner's sailed her to Mexico where we met them.
We moved up to a Jeanneau DS43 as we were living abroad and my wife wanted a bigger boat. So who am to argue...
We now have a 2009 Jeanneau 36i since we moved back to our house.
The downside of the Pearson is no swim step, don't like the v drive or the westerbeke and it needs more sail area to get it moving in light air. That said, it was good to learn on as it handled big winds easily by furling in the Genoa and using the stay and the main reefing as needed.

We went with the 36i because it sails better, has a swim step, 2 cabins, handles better in the marina, yanmar with direct shaft drive and is much newer needing less work$.
There's no perfect boat, just find one the checks most of your needs and is beautiful to you. Passed up a few boat that would work but they just didn't look beautiful to me.
Lennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson, pearson 365