Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2020, 15:12   #1
cruiser

pearson pilothouse

Time is ticking by fast til vacation arrives and with it that very small window of June/July to find a vessel.

I really appreciate the input on the pilothouse thread and have been scouring data to find something that will be acceptable.. not perfect..but acceptable.

I did a search of the forum for the Pearson 36 pilothouse and found a little bit of info in a slew of posts that were vague and not too helpful.

If anyone has some experience with the Pearson PH I would love to hear it.

I did see a few things about the mast corroding and such..but I am concerned about the keel...it looks pretty wimpy and I am not sure how it would do cruising across the Pacific..which is my ideal location. If not suitable to cross the Pacific would it be fine hopping the Atlantic?... crossing and cruising the Med?

I really like the layout and is perfect for me... but a strong, reliable boat takes precedence. Replaceables and repairables I will account for in any offer I make.. structural/ build concerns will be deal breakers for me.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts I would be most thankful!

yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Pearson-365-Pilothouse-3651185/
passage_paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 16:37   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: pearson pilothouse

Quote:
I did see a few things about the mast corroding and such..but I am concerned about the keel...it looks pretty wimpy and I am not sure how it would do cruising across the Pacific..which is my ideal location. If not suitable to cross the Pacific would it be fine hopping the Atlantic?... crossing and cruising the Med?
Mast corrosion: Can occur at the base where the mast step is dissimilar metal; also, underneath stainless fittings and screws.

Keels falling off is very rare.

The Pacific Ocean was so named because it is gentler than the Atlantic. Therefore, if you plan a circumnavigation, your boat needs to be all-ocean capable. And one can sometimes make a boat capable that was just a garden variety boat. Earlier grp boats were/are sturdier construction than newer, but slower.

It is one of the reasons that such a short time period and lack of experience conspire to either make it longer than planned before departure, (due to appropriate upsizing of rigging, adding floors or stringers, etc.) or such voyages end in unhappiness at the first foreign port [due to lack of proper pre-preparation].

Sometimes, there seems to be an attitude that all this is like buying an SUV and driving to Alaska, but I've driven to AK, and I've done a lot of travel by sailboat, and it is not truly analogous.

Never mind if you don't feel warned, your own survival sense should kick in at some point.

Ann
Old 01-03-2020, 17:11   #3
cruiser

Thanks Ann!

Ya.. as I am getting closer my survival instincts are starting to peak for sure. In fact it is my greatest concern.

I have seen soo many stories about the crash and burn of being unprepared. I will take a strong sturdy well executed "shack" over a flimsy glossy mansion anyday.

As far as being prepared as an individual I feel pretty confident in myself. I wont be posting on youtube like those that take asa basics and head out only to give up 3 days in. NOR will I just head across from the Puget Sound directly to the Cook Islands.. after my classes this fall I will be certified in many disciplines regarding marine systems.. which is a huge advantage over most folks engaging this lifestyle. I will also have nearly a good year of cruising around the Puget Sound and then another year outside the Sound.. maybe take the Inside Passage up to Alaska and pick up a friend.. then back south to the Mexico staging points to prepare to head west..maybe the Baja Haha group then Puddle Jump?

My lack of knowledge on the multitude of boats is the problem. I research and research and research and have been doing so for nearly a year now.. and not superficial research.. but in depth detailed research. But something new always seems to crop up and sometimes having the experience of those who walked before me are a better source than any web write up could be. I am thankful there are soo many experienced folks here.

I graduated from Uni Wa. with a 3.97... that doesn't happen for folks who do superficial and unprepared studies. I turn over every rock.. (Asian Studies major..China focus..Mandarin minor)
Old 01-03-2020, 17:59   #4

Thanks for the update on your educational achievements. Can't help wondering what ruined your 4.0, but please don't feel obliged to explain! Just one B+ is enough to scotch it.

I hope you get really good teachers for your courses, and if you do the reading for them in advance, it's going to give you a head start. The courses, I'm told, can be fairly intense.

Ann
Old 01-03-2020, 18:12   #5
cruiser

One A-...LOL

BTW I didnt post that for any reason other than to express that I study.. and I study hard whatever I have in front of me. So while you may encounter many of those who have been eating their own crap and think they know it all on here often.. I am not.

It is hard sometimes to ask questions and not be classified into the default dreamer squad that think it is all glassy youtube living. I try not to evaluate a persons competency and rather focus on the question asked.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have posted my resume as well at joining so I could be herded into the right group.

The Marine Systems program is no doubt gonna be intense.. I would hope so. Not paying to have a cake walk. I have complained and dropped classes because instructors are too easy. Don't think I wont try to get my money back for a weaksauce class.

I will have to work twice as hard..cause while I can discuss China in Mandarin all day... I barely know a mm from an inch..yikes!!
Old 01-03-2020, 18:19   #6

Boat: Catalina Capri 25

Search for the thread “a new adventure begins” it is a good cautionary tale. Worth studying. Fair winds!
liquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 18:23   #7
cruiser

Thanks liquidice! Ima check for it now...

And thanks to all those tips and words of caution up above. However I was really hoping to get more info on the Pearson PH...LOL... rather than discussing the obvious green of my boots.

(edit.. I found the thread.. oh its gonna be good reading.. I see from the very first post that it is gonna be interesting..lol...wow.... ya.. there is no way that would EVER happen to me.. and I certainly understand why some look at green folks here like they do... July 25th that adventure begins.. August 2nd its over with a beaching.. WTF).... Thats really too bad.. but there are hordes of people just like that.. I figure a good 80%+ of the population overstimates their worth.)
Old 01-03-2020, 19:11   #8

Boat: Tayana 37 PH

Am I am only one having difficulties reading through a nonsense wrapped with some random words?
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 19:26   #9
cruiser

Ruso....Do you have anything to offer regarding the Pearson PH as indicated in the very first post??..NO??..

Then ya.. I would say you are having difficulties.

It is obvious the thread was hijacked from the start..but thanks for sharing your confusion.
Old 01-03-2020, 19:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by passage_paul View Post
Ruso....Do you have anything to offer regarding the Pearson PH as indicated in the very first post??..NO??..

Then ya.. I would say you are having difficulties.

It is obvious the thread was hijacked from the start..but thanks for sharing your confusion.
I can offer you this
https://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...allartayachts&
Old 01-03-2020, 19:38   #11
cruiser

Well at least it is on topic.

I was hoping for folks to speak upon any first hand experience with this boat in crossing around the Pacific. MY concern was the whole underside keel and general build issues. I am trying to narrow the list as the time to make an offer somewhere is just 3 months away, more or less.
Old 01-03-2020, 20:15   #12

The Pearson PH is not cutter rigged. Imo, an owner who likes the boat and who may never have taken it offshore will tell you it sails well and that s/he likes it. In most cases, you can figure out how to add a Solent stay to a boat, but a proper cutter should be designed as one. I found one on sailboat data.
Old 01-03-2020, 20:18   #13

I apologize if I overreacted... Beer night... and listening GF (girlfriend) nonsense.
I hope someone can be more particular on the boat.
OK... Here is my take on it.
the boat is 40 years old and still floating - this is good news.
This is pretty much good about the boat.
Very good survey required - everything, like crime scene investigation.
Every inch above/below and beyond.
Of course some owners can point out weakest point but... do search - the internet provides virtually unlimited resources if you really want to find something.
I walked away from many boats because some of boats like crime scene with corp hidden underneath of back patio concrete.
Why this boat? Plenty of other's pilothouses, if you have to have the pilothouse. For this kind of money (little little more) I would go with full keel like Tyana or Baba.
My personal opinion the boat is overpraised and not truly blue water cruiser (kind of but not)..

Quote:
Originally Posted by passage_paul View Post
Well at least it is on topic.

I was hoping for folks to speak upon any first hand experience with this boat in crossing around the Pacific. MY concern was the whole underside keel and general build issues. I am trying to narrow the list as the time to make an offer somewhere is just 3 months away, more or less.
Old 01-03-2020, 20:43   #14
cruiser

Thanks for taking the time to offer up, Jim. I was also wondering about the rigging setup as well.:/ I kinda figured most owners will say "it sails great"

I am having to sort this whole PH choice. I kinda had this, "not a good vibe" in relation to the Pearson. It is why I was asking here about any direct experience. I like the setup... but that is hardly enough reason to make a purchase, IMO.

I have received a few pm's off this thread and I really appreciate that input. Unless there suddenly appears some great positive posts here in the next day or two I think this is a "scratch it off" item. It is just not feeling right.

I just found one that is claiming to have been rebuilt for ocean crossings. If it has to be rebuilt then I guess it isn't ready.
The asking is 119k usd. For that price I can do much much better.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

According to Sailboatdata.com the Pearson 36 pilothouse uses the same hull as the Pearson 365. There is a Pearson 365 forum with lots of posts on the pilothouse. Sailing magazine did a very good review of the 365. They say 405 were build. I had a Pearson years ago and it was well built. I wouldn't be afraid of one for world cruising - properly prepped and crewed.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson