Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2016, 11:57   #31

Re: Peterson 46 vs TC 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombats View Post
I have a peterson/Formosa/Spindrift 46 that was built in Taiwan in 1982. when Formosa extended the Kp 44, that they were building under license, the story is well documented regarding their lack of royalties to Peterson. It didn't stop Kelly Peterson from using the Queen Long yard (Taiwan) from building their own KP 46. Australian boat builder Ron Hillier oversaw the building of Formosa 46's and built them for Bristol yachts of Newport Beach and branded them the Spindrift 46. He built the Hillier/Peterson 46 for the Aussie market but ran afoul of Peterson due to the inclusion of his name. The boats, KP 44, KP 46, Peterson 46, Formosa 46, Spindrift 46 and the Hillier Peterson 46 are well documented on a fantastic website Sailboatdata.com is the worlds largest sailboat database. with info on design, and the yards that built them. Anyone further interested can go on Peterson Cutter Website - Welcome where they will find a wealth of information on these boats by the owners. My wife and I live onboard our Spindrift/Formosa/Peterson 46 and have found her be everything we need in a blue water live aboard. Quality of build has never been in question and the boat is a "Rock". Mark Warburton, S/V Hoopoe III, Hebe Haven Yacht Club, Pak Sha Wan, New Territory, Hong Kong, SAR.
I dont believe your boat was built at Queen Long. I have very specific information on Hoopoe III and can put you in touch with the original owner who built her at Ta Chiao, I believe.

Also some interesting history on that boat if you are interested
SanJuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peterson