Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2009, 15:01   #16

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I currently have a canvas dodger on Sabre Dance, with a top extension that goes all the way to the backstay. However, there are no side curtains, and the extension can not be used under sail as it blocks the mainsheet. Its strictly for harbour and anchorage use to keep the sun off you.

My main gripe with it is that at 6 foot tall its about 1 and a half inches too low. I am seriously thinking about building a solid dodger which will blend in with my wave break in front of the cockpit. It will be about 6'2" tall inside, solid enough to mount my panels on, and have soft canvas side covers and the extension to the back stay. I'm still trying to work out a solution to keeping the helmsman from broiling his brains out as the main sheet traveler is just behind him and sweeps forward to the boom. So no matter what I can' have anything solid over his head without interferring with the mainsheet.

TAREUA, would it be possible to see some photos of your installation?

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 15:19   #17

Saw this hard doger at the boat show. Very nice! Hard to find a hard doger that looks this nice.

Outbound 52.

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 16:03   #18

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Where's the windshield wipers and the foghorn and the bell? Y'arrrrr....
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 16:29   #19

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Wehave a full enclosure and used it today moving back from Annapolis to Baltimore. Once closed in we were warm and toasty. The canvas is now 5+ years old and is ready to be replaced which would be the advantae of a permanent pilot house. On the other hand, when we get to the islands next month, we can open up the cocpit and enjoy the warm breezes. My opinion is that pilothouse boats are bestsuted for Northern climes. By the way, that Island Packet has all the disadvantages of both a sail boat and motor boat withot any of the advantages. Rmember the Island Packet catamaran?
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 17:05   #20
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
By the way, that Island Packet has all the disadvantages of both a sail boat and motor boat withot any of the advantages. Rmember the Island Packet catamaran?
Nope, I don't ; -)

And I don't know enough about the IP to have an opinion of how she sails or motors. We only walked thru her at dock. I just thought the idea was nifty. A great bridge/pilot house AND an open cockpit. Maybe the disadvantages of both and the best of both are the same thing!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 17:39   #21

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's a sistership to ours: The Challenger Anacapa 42. You can see more at Anacapa Pilothouse Motorsailers - Home Both inside and outside steering stations, with a real sailboat hull but a slightly smaller than normal rig. Ours is ketch rigged...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Octavia 4.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	10476  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 17:43   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Nice looking motorsailor
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:40   #23

Boat: a sailing boat
IP, OK, but why not a sailing boat ?
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 14:50   #24

Boat: ISLANDER 41 DAWN TREADER
Sail World - Powerboat-world: Sail and sailing, cruising, boating news

I read this today and thought what a good advertisement for a 'storm room' of some sort.

Sabrekai I can't post photos here from my work computer,but i'll try and come up with a link. I'm six foot and wouldn't want to stoop in my own cockpit either.
TAREUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2009, 16:30   #25

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Good story, if a little nervous-making for those of us doing a counter-current delivery in the G.S. next month...urp...
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 05:47   #26

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
I am starting my winter project of building a hard enclosure for my cockpit. I am going to use the moldless fiberglass procedure. The frame will be 3/4 inch polyisocyanate covered with 5 layers of 8.5 ounce cloth. I have purchased most of the materials Foam was $180, 3 gal epoxy 175, fiberglass 35 yds $100.00. I am also going to add a hatch to the top. For front windows not sure of whether to use glass or plastic, thinking glass for now.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 06:12   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am also going to add a hatch to the top. For front windows not sure of whether to use glass or plastic, thinking glass for now.
We have a half hard dodger. The bottom half uses auto glass. Since the vertical span is not that great and the glass is in sections there isn't a real issue with strength. The frame is fiberglass and the top rail covered in teak. Above that we have a traditional dodger for use in cold or foul weather. A half hard dodger really works well and leave the warm weather sailing still comfortable.

This boat we just finished with a full enclosure. We used Stamoid instead of Sunbrella. It is a laminated fabric. We went with white - it's cooler. The outer layer is smooth and sheds water better. We used extruded glass on the side curtains to make it easier to roll them and keep down the cost. For the upper part of the dodger we used Strataglass. It's the best for clarity but expensive. We then added a second set of side curtains made of of a light blocking material that still has small holes. It makes a great sun shade and can be used instead of the side curtains in the summer.

Our last boat could be sailed with the enclosure fully on but this boat the connector must be removed so the main sheet can be operated. Full enclosures can get into some money but the poster that claims the one they have needs replacement after 5 years must have other problems. You should be able to get more than 10 years from them if properly made.

With all this type of work price means nothing unless you can examine quality of the materials and workmanship. It is easy to make a full enclosure with marginal materials and poorly done for a low price. There are many ways that corners can be cut and you won't find out for a year or two. Hire this work only by reputation and examination of other work. It takes a lot of experience to do this work well.

If you can pull off a hard dodger, connector, and Bimini. I still would consider only a half dodger and use soft material to fill it in when the weather warrants. I would also add side curtains and sun shades as well. A full awning is an even better idea for warm climates. If you are doing a hard top be sure to allow for the solar panels!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 09:11   #28

Dufour or Jeanneau make a walk in Motor sailor a little like that IP. Cant remember wihc it is. Looks like a great boat in the pics, advantages of a catamaran without the other hull... open cockpit, no ladder down to some of the living area etc.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:55   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: 1999 Hughes 30 Cat
Re: Pilot House vs Enclosure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've seen permanent doghouses nicely added on CC boats. A lot of angles and a lot of work, but very nice when done. Friends I cruised with had a Ted Brewer.... Pan Asian 48...? something like that. It had a Pilot house that was wonderful... chart table and steering to Port and a almost double berth to stbd. I loved that layout. Below the raised PH floor was the engine, open the large hatch and you could have a party down there!
Ted Brewer Pan Oceanic 46. They are wonderful boats, sailed on one in heavy seas, great experience.
Pat Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 06:51   #30

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Pilot House vs Enclosure

We sail with a pilothouse and in the Pacific Northwest it allows us to use the boat pretty well year round. Though it does have an inside helm station I tend to set the autopilot and sit on the top step which gives me a good view, inside and in the warmth . In nasty weather I keep the companionway open and stay under the dodger.
In the tropics I expect to use it much the same way to avoid the constant sun.
Having an inside helm is nice but we just don't use it a lot, though I like redundancy in systems .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	118640  
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote