Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2020, 02:10   #76

Re: Places only a monohull can go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
What are you trying to argue about here? I'm on YOUR side.

Boards are infinitely adjustable to any depth at all.

In the same post are you actually saying "I wouldn't be trying for maximum depth in survival conditions" and also saying you'd be flying a hull in the same conditions???

Are you trying to argue for sport here or something?

My post is saying everything you said earlier was true and the loss of performance is quite negligible.

Further, there are no endplates on dagger boards, so you're probably confusing a couple different things here. If you are thinking the hull itself is an endplate and that it prevents flow from the high pressure sideof the foil to the low pressure side, you're way off in your picture of how end plates work. They are added to the TIP of a foil to prevent high pressure fluid from sneaking around to the low pressure side around the tip. Surely you can't be saying high pressure fluid is sneaking around the board by leaving the surface of the water when you are flying the hull in your survival conditions scenario.
Sorry to offend.

Your prior post was a little confusing and sounded like it was implying no loss of grip if the windward hull came out of the water but most of the board was still in the water with the board fully extended during survival conditions...there definitely is a distinct loss of lift once the hull breaks free of the surface.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:51   #77

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Google Slapdash Gemini. They did a round the world.

Also on the Yahoo Gemini group, there are several members putting out "rumors" of the ocean crossings they have done. I know at least a couple have made it to Hawaii and a few Atlantic crossings.

There was also a couple that did Cape Horne...for a while their pictures were used in the advertising for the boats..
Thanks for that, I was not aware of the Slapdash trip, quite impressive, I would to read up more on this. I have been a member of the yahoo group for about 5 years but must have missed any discussion on this. I think the 14ft beam of all Gemini models is the main reason for their popularity above all else and as you and others have pointed out, they suffer far fewer limitations than most multihulls as to where they can go. Btw, do you know of any other Geminis that have circumnavigated?
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:32   #78

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Thanks for that, I was not aware of the Slapdash trip, quite impressive, I would to read up more on this. I have been a member of the yahoo group for about 5 years but must have missed any discussion on this. I think the 14ft beam of all Gemini models is the main reason for their popularity above all else and as you and others have pointed out, they suffer far fewer limitations than most multihulls as to where they can go. Btw, do you know of any other Geminis that have circumnavigated?
Gemini Catamarans on Facebook, There is a Gemini leaving for Hawai at the moment, From San Diego,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 18:38   #79

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Gemini Catamarans on Facebook, There is a Gemini leaving for Hawai at the moment, From San Diego,
I don't do facebook so can't check on that one but thanks.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2020, 13:41   #80

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
My mistake, Slapdash was the one I was thinking of, Two blokes on it,
I dont think they could sail when they started out,
I don't they could sail when they finished either.

I guess that's a little unkind, but it's nicer than calling Jaime a bloke. It was a couple on Slapdash (guy and a girl).
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, monohull