Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2012, 04:27   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Places to Put a Wind Turbine?

While a windgen on the top of the mast sounds nice in theory, apart from the line losses the real problem is the weight of the unit. Ignoring precession forces, the extremely long arm of the mast makes it impracticable.

My old unit was a very quiet and efficient D400. It weighs 17kg. Putting at the top of my mast would require adding 180 Kg to my keel in order to maintain equilibrium.
Old 24-12-2012, 05:50   #17

Boat: Still doing research...

I realise the original inquiry by Chucklet321 was two months ago, but reading some of the responses makes me think a few of you have been out to sea for far too long. You've forgotten your manners.

Someone is asking for advice, and what do some of you give, sarcasm and insults. Not all of us had expert knowledge of all things sailing the day we were born. We had to start off somewhere.

Isn't this forum supposed to be a friendly; all are welcome so long as you have interest in cruising or sailing? We're all going to have different levels of experiences and knowledge and are all from different walks of life. It’s what makes this forum great. It’s what makes it a great community.

So for the people who genuinely provided some useful information to Chucklet321's inquiry, a big thank you to you all.

For those who made fun (almost to the effect of being a bully), shame on you. You bring shame to this forum.

Didn't your parents ever tell you, if you have nothing better to say, then don’t? Keep that in mind next time a newbie ask us for advice.
Old 24-12-2012, 06:11   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

I have yet to see a single mean spirited person, on here. Some have a light-hearted, albeit skewed sense of humor, which to be expected when a very unusual question is asked. As far as I know, no one will intentionally give a bad advice to hurt a would-be mariner/mariner. Experiences are diverse and are not applicable to everyone. Next time, if you read a thread that is "off the wall" to your standards, just ignore it. I guess, we all are guilty of off the cuff replies. Happy holidays to you and yours! Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 08:56   #19

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Do what way too many cruisers do, right above their solar panel(s).

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 16:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
My old unit was a very quiet and efficient D400.
I am curious to know why you are no longer using your D400. Did you replace it with another model? Have you given up on wind turbines?

Quote:
It weighs 17kg. Putting at the top of my mast would require adding 180 Kg to my keel in order to maintain equilibrium.
That's a good argument for not putting a wind turbine at the top of a monohull's mast.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 19:26   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Do what way too many cruisers do, right above their solar panel(s).
This is a good observation and a good question from the OP.
I think some boats try to cram too much on the stern and solar performance pays the price.

Presently focusing on a new Solar system, but also planning ahead for wind-power energy if we feel it is justified.

With a schooner Rig I have the option to mount a wind gen on Aft Mast.

Keeping in mind Zanshin’s caution about weight above and also wiring runs, this sketch looks like a practical compromise, by shifting the Radar Antenna down 2 steps and putting Wind-Gen above

Not concerned about the stability issue as I tripled my House bank capacity and installed them down low in the middle.
Thus Adding about 620 kilos extra ballast just above the keel.

Pluses I see from this location:
  1. Good wind draw under sail
  2. Same wiring lengths as a Stern Installation.
  3. Less salt Spray than a Stern Installation.
  4. Quieter than a Stern Installation.
  5. Below first spreader for Maintenance and not hanging over the water
  6. Established wiring runs
  7. Leave masthead free for sensors and antennas
  8. Shadow Clear of Solar Modules.
Only downside I see on a mid-mast installation is added heel on wind gen when you are sailing hard……
I don't know if heel is an issue with a wind gen??

Interested in opinions/suggestions from those who have installed a Wind-gen about this position?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alternate Mast Mounting.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	51652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Final Scaled New Batt layout.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	51653  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 19:49   #22

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Pelagic,
If you're cruising anywhere nice, you shouldn't have to mess with a wind turbine.
If you can manage to mount 3-400 watts of solar on the davits, and concentrate on energy conservation everywhere else, you're Golden.

Wind generators yaw all over the place during a hard sail, not to mention they love to make you think it's blowing harder than it really is whether you're sailing or at anchor.
Downwind, they're useless.
In an anchorage, they're antisocial.
Upwind, they slow you down as well as the above disadvantages.

(former boat wind generator owner, even though I have one at my house)

Steve B.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 00:57   #23

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
I realise the original inquiry by Chucklet321 was two months ago, but reading some of the responses makes me think a few of you have been out to sea for far too long. You've forgotten your manners.

Someone is asking for advice, and what do some of you give, sarcasm and insults. Not all of us had expert knowledge of all things sailing the day we were born. We had to start off somewhere.

Isn't this forum supposed to be a friendly; all are welcome so long as you have interest in cruising or sailing? We're all going to have different levels of experiences and knowledge and are all from different walks of life. It’s what makes this forum great. It’s what makes it a great community.

So for the people who genuinely provided some useful information to Chucklet321's inquiry, a big thank you to you all.

For those who made fun (almost to the effect of being a bully), shame on you. You bring shame to this forum.

Didn't your parents ever tell you, if you have nothing better to say, then don’t? Keep that in mind next time a newbie ask us for advice.
Nessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 05:53   #24

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
I am curious to know why you are no longer using your D400. Did you replace it with another model? Have you given up on wind turbines?...
I sold the boat with the D400 on her and went for a new boat. I have about 1000Ah of gel batteries @24V aboard the new boat, so the generator only needs to run about an hour or two every couple of days to recharge the bank sufficiently plus to make water and run the washer.

I haven't decided whether or not to put up a mast with a wind generator or go for solar power on the new, but if I were to get another windgen I'd go back to the D400 (which has a 24V model).
Old 25-12-2012, 06:01   #25

Quote:
if I were to get another windgen I'd go back to the D400.
Now that's a clear endorsement! Thank you.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind