Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 17:50   #16

Boat: Brent Swain Pilot House 36' Steel Sloop
Re: Planning to make the jump to a liveaboard monohull

My first liveaboard was a 30' Pacific (similar to Arlberg) early 2000's. Wrecked it off BC coast near Comox. Walking the docks there a few days later saw a boat sitting on 2 keels... knocked on the hull. Owner was Brent Swain also the designer and author of steel boat origami style. Long story short... as a hobby in retirement I started doing youtube vids for friends, family and the curious. I just did an interview with Brent aboard one of his designs. It has 2 keels fully insulated great sailor almost indestructible (I know ... 15 yrs sailing coastal).... wood stove friendly ... nearly 0 condensation. Gold Pan Fry Pan Channel YT

Brent interview and boat here
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry+pan+channel
bcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 06:17   #17

Re: Planning to make the jump to a liveaboard monohull

Thanks for the warnings everyone. I’m pretty sure I’ll clear all the bridges on the navigation charts by 10 feet. I have to obviously put a tape measure to the job before I’ve made sure. And obviously debris can be an issue in the Mississippi, but I wasn’t planning on going alone, and I’ve made a living fixing boats for awhile. Thanks for the advice tho. My main concern was if I needed to plan on adding an extra outboard to get me upriver. And for all the people that say, “just save your money and buy a better boat.” Keep on hating. Take it easy sailors
Red Dirt Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, liveaboard, monohull