Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2020, 14:13   #1
cwc

Please critique my cat ketch thoughts

I am planning to buy a boat to use for weekend trips, occasional week-long trips, and possibly liveaboard in the future. I would like it to be capable of an Atlantic crossing. Although most of my sailing will be with my wife, I would like to be able to single-hand it.

All of my experience has been in sloops. I always thought ketches looked really nice, but assumed they would be more difficult to sail. I have recently been reading about cat ketches, and was surprised to hear that many people have found them to be easy to sail single-handed.

So, I have begun researching cat ketches that would work for my plans. It seems like Freedom Yachts is the most well known and respected cat ketch. As for size, I am thinking 35’-40’. I don’t think anything less than 35’ would be enough room for us, and it seems like it gets harder to find semi-affordable slips once you go bigger than 40’.

What do you guys think? Am I on the right track? Are there other brands I should be considering? Any compelling reasons to go bigger than 40’?

Thanks for any input!
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 14:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Please critique my cat ketch thoughts

I had a friend that had a Heresshoff Cat Ketch, he loved it, swore it would go to windward as well as a sloop.
However I’d have to sail in one some before the decision to buy myself. There has to be a reason they are so rare.
I believe he had it more because it was a Heresschoff than a Cat Ketch myself.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 14:46   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30

They only built six of them, but the Nereus is a gorgeous boat. There is even one for sale. More expensive than Freedom but much nicer boats. It is like a 40' Nonsuch and also beamy so a lot of volume.
https://www.unitedyacht.com/used-yac...aramba-2767355

Old 26-04-2020, 17:38   #4
cwc

I haven’t heard of the Nereus, but it is a great looking boat! It’s a little bit pricier than the bigger Freedoms, but not too much. Do you think their rarity makes them easier to sell, or are buyers generally scared of putting money into a boat with such limited production numbers?
cwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 18:01   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I haven’t heard of the Nereus, but it is a great looking boat! It’s a little bit pricier than the bigger Freedoms, but not too much. Do you think their rarity makes them easier to sell, or are buyers generally scared of putting money into a boat with such limited production numbers?
That price looks quite good to me. They were produced by a yard in Taiwan that makes really high end boats - mainly 60 to 80' powerboats. They made one hull with a cutter rig. We almost bought it three times about 14 years ago. We had three verbal agreements and each time the paperwork came back with added unacceptable conditions. I think the boat is well worth a look. Cat ketches are niche boats for sure, but this one is the pick of the litter. (see what I did there)
Old 26-04-2020, 19:51   #6

Boat: Pearson 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
They only built six of them, but the Nereus is a gorgeous boat. There is even one for sale. More expensive than Freedom but much nicer boats. It is like a 40' Nonsuch and also beamy so a lot of volume.

Man I wish you hadn't posted that. It's given me a serious case of boat lust! Lol I agree the price looks attractive. I like the interior layout, very efficient for a 40fter and like you said, beamy.

Generally speaking, I like boats that are different than the standard common monohulls. This really ticks a lot of boxes.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 20:48   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I would be wary of any brokers ad which repeatedly refers to this offering as a “Nonsuch Nereus 40”. When they deceive in their advertising just imagine what will go on behind closed doors.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:31   #8

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

You are definitely on the right track. Love these boats. For the Freedoms, make sure to inspect the hull carefully as they are built balsa-cored. The glass is thick, though. Most boats are probably fine. Balsa is a good core material.

These boats have many advantages, There is not much to go wrong with the rigging, and also little rig maintenance. Good cruising performance.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 08:34   #9

I own a Freedom 25. My good friend won the Bermuda one-two in a Freedom 44 which would be my choice for a bigger boat.
Easy and safe to sail. You will need an electric winch to raise the sails only if fully battered but everything after that is very easy. I have owned 6 cruising boats from 25 to 41 feet.
No rigging to replace is truly an advantage. No dangerous jibes...
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:09   #10

Boat: Herreshoff Cat Ketch 38, Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser

I have a Herreshoff 38 Cat Ketch, purchased in 2015 from original owner. One day I may finish the refurbish project. It sat in a yard up in New England for many, many years before I had it shipped down to Baltimore. I bought it to live aboard. Best laid plans...
The problem with live aboard sailboats is that you need much more boat to get the same comfort level and room as you would from a trawler.
I'm presently living on a Halvorsen 32 Gourmet Cruiser. It has more usable "room" than the Herreshoff. My biggest complaint about the Herreshoff is the lack of user friendly (I'm 6'4") sleeping quarters. The Halvorsen has a walk-around queen bed. It'll be hard to give that up.
GuerrillaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:47   #11

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post

I would have that in a heartbeat!!, that boat would suit me 100%, rarely do I look at a boat and drool like I do when I look at that one...simple, non complicated and i bet it sails great.

I'm an ex Freedom owner , did approx 30,000nm on my freedom 32. Now have a conventional rigged sloop which is a great boat BUT, for a cruising boat I'm all into stayless masts and personally believe a cat jetch is about as good as it gets....such a pity they didnt become more mainstream.

People believe cat rigs wont go to wind, they can, below is my old boat.

https://youtu.be/v3VZB3yH5o0
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:54   #12

Are you still in Colorado? Where would you sail her?
dickfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 09:59   #13

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwc View Post
I have no problem with Balsa but would prefer solid glass under the waterline, this has that freedoms dont.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:11   #14

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I would have that in a heartbeat!!
Agreed, that is one hell of a nice looking boat
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2020, 10:21   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
People believe cat rigs wont go to wind, they can, below is my old boat.
https://youtu.be/v3VZB3yH5o0
Are you sure, for a monohull that looks like close reaching to me...

Happy to be corrected though.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, cat ketch, Freedom Yachts, ketch