Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2023, 15:31   #1

Please help

I’m looking at a 1977 islander 32. But I have concerns about some of the stuff. Like this one has three windows each side. All other islander 32s seem to have four. Plus a few other things like the hatch on the foredeck seems different. Can you tell what boat this is? Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7575.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	275578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7571.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	275579  

Name:	IMG_7553.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	275580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7556.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	275581  

Everettguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 15:45   #2

Boat: Moody 376
Re: Please help

What’s the HIN. My moody has different windows. From the factory. So I wouldn’t put much stock in that...

It’s a 40+ year old boat....people change things....
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 16:26   #3

Boat: Hunter 340

Boats are not like cars where 20+ years later they are mostly still in factory configuration. Two 1998 Toyota Corollas are probably near identical despite their age. Boats are quite regularly modified, upgraded, broken and repaired, etc. Pretty common to have two boats from the same year be quite different in configuration and installed equipment. This makes it a bit tougher in evaluating boats as they are all unique to some degree especially the older ones.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 16:34   #4

Very true
Old 19-05-2023, 16:35   #5

Thanks so much.
Old 19-05-2023, 16:35   #6

It looks pretty Islander-ish to me.

Why are you even worried about it? The number of port lights makes zero difference to the boat's sailing qualities. Once you're below decks you won't be able to tell the diff.

What you DO need to look at is the price of it. It's a 45 year old boat you say. If she floats and looks moderately clean and whole with no obvious impact damage anywhere, offer 12 grand subject to survey. If you close the deal, and if you are in Everett as you handle suggests, prepare yourself for the cost of keeping 'er. You'll be looking over the long haul at an average of a thousand bux a month. You won't spend that every month, but on the average, what with a new suit of sails being ten grand or better. A suitable replacement engine, if it comes to that, would set you back about 15 grand installed. And it might well come to that if the present engine is the Atomic 4 gas pot that some of them came with back in King Arthur's time.

Establish a "sinking fund" (ironic, eh?) of a thousand bux-a-month. In ten years time you'll find that it's all been spent.

So don't even worry about stuff like the number of windows!

All the best :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 16:59   #7

Fair points. I’m just trying to verify that this is an islander 32. It just seems to have enough things that are very different from other Islanders that I see that made me question. I had read some articles about other manufacturers who had bought the rights to use the design. So I thought maybe this wasn’t really an islander but more of a different builder who used the same design. But you are right if the boat is good then who cares how many windows. It just thew me off that I only find 28ft islanders with that number of windows. Thank you
Old 19-05-2023, 17:57   #8

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Islander has a somewhat checkered history.
Along with several other companies that were building boats during the "Happening", or the "Glory Days" of SoCal boat building, it's not a rare event to see all sorts of renditions of boats from that era.
Molds and names changed hands and lots of bare hulls or hull/deck combos were sold that were not true "factory built".
Also, it's not unusual to find "mix-and-match" parts/interiors/deck layouts, etc. as locations/owners changed.
This is a short overview of Islander.
https://sailboatdata.com/builder/isl...dewind-yachts/
Old 19-05-2023, 18:25   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

I can't comment on whether it is an Islander, but with regard to port changes, I completely changed all the ports on a 1973 Grampian 34. It now looks like no other Grampian (it's way better!).

All this is to say, it's certainly possible that a previous owner changed the ports on this boat.
Old 19-05-2023, 18:43   #10

I guess it’s less about the 3windows per side instead of 4 and more about the entire top side of the boat just seems different even the shape of the bow is different. Every islander 32. I’ve seen online has the same rounded hatch in the same exact place. But this one it’s almost as if the cabin doesn’t even go that far. But yet they are the same year and make. Maybe I’m bad at explaining things. But I appreciate the advices anyway everyone. You guys have made perfect sense that the manufacture easily could’ve made changes for a customer when the boat was originally built. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7589.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	275598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7571.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	431.3 KB
ID:	275599  

Old 19-05-2023, 19:12   #11

When you are talking about a 45 year old boat, regardless of the manufacturer, there is really only one question that needs an affirmative answer, and even THAT answer need not be unqualified.

The question is: "Does it float?"

"Frozen snot" boats, boats built from "plastic", "fiberglass", call it what you will. are basically indestructible, particularly on the "Wet Coast" in Puget sound, since UV light is of little import. Indestructibleness precipitates its own woes :-)

ANYTHING that attaches to the hull is basically a "bag hung on", as we used to say, and can be replaced or repaired. Therefore the only serious question in regard to any such boat is what the repair/maintenance cost is going to be, and, subsidiarily, whether you are you willing to spend the money.

I've already given you a "close enuff" figure for this boat. Only you can know whether you are willing to spend the money.

For a novice, one "make" of 30 or32 foot boat will be about as good as any other. They all sail about the same, and while the below decks arrangements may differ, your body soon accommodates to whatever the given arrangements are.

So grab what feels good at the time you are ready to sign the cheque. Kiss that amount of money good-bye and organize your bank account to bleed to the tune of $1K/month. That too, is money you'll never see again. Just the cost of having a hobby. It's almost certain to be cheaper than motorcars and mistresses if you are serious about them :-)!

Cheers

TP
Old 19-05-2023, 19:44   #12

seriously thank you. I’ve been pretty stressed about all this. I’m sitting in my car dying laughing reading your post. Does it float. That’s all that matters. I appreciate it. Thanks everybody.. I look forward to owning a sailboat and being a part of this community. You guys are great. ����
Old 19-05-2023, 20:03   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Everettguy,

Here's a link to something to read before you go look seriously at a boat: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1-a-78671.html

In a given price range, it's all about the condition and appeal of the boat at which you're looking. Any smaller boat is a good place to start to see if you really like it (not all do).
Engine works? Are the sails usable? Does it need re-rigging right now? And, can you get insurance for it?

Ann
Old 19-05-2023, 20:23   #14

Boat: Volkscruiser

EverettGuy I have surveyed hundreds of the same model boat and occasionally there's one so different you wonder if it came from the same factory. The windows and hatch could easily have been an owner's preference for what he considers his dream boat.
I wouldn't stress over it, you will find way better things to stress over when you're sailing.
TrentPieds there's that saying if it floats, flys or fornicates you're better off renting it. I think you pick your vice and hope the memories are bigger than the bills.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2023, 21:12   #15

Oh, spare us, F&A :-) If we get going on the wisdom of the outback we'll never finish :-0)!

TP

Tags
lease