Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2017, 16:43   #1

Boat: looking for used 30 ft sailboat
Portable Head for Rental Boat

I joined a boat club and will be using a club Catalina 22 sailboat weekly. It does not have a head and I'd like to bring my own to lessen the need to dock during a day sail. Would like recommendations for compact portable head that don't need to be secured to the floor.
RicinFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2017, 17:21   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: Portable Head for Rental Boat

A regular Porta potty works very well in a Catalina 22.
There is space for a Porta potty behind the bulkhead on the port side. It would be under the v berth if you had the insert in. This space came with bar mounted to the floor to keep the potty from sliding.
However, one has to be a munchkin to use the potty in its intended location.
I'm 5 feet 115 lbs I r so and even I found the bulkhead location difficult.
Best to put it on the sole between the benches! We did that for 3 years and we cruised our Catalina 22 for up to 10 days at a time.
If you will be sailing day sails only, look into "Doolie bags". They use silicon to gel waste. You just roll it up and toss in the trash. You could then use a bucket with a seat just to make life easier.
Old 14-04-2017, 03:17   #3

I owned a cat 22 for a couple years. My wife and I would keep the ports potty in its intended position during the day, but at night when we were using the v birth would move it to the settee on the starboard side. Strap it to the side so a passing wake wouldn't knock it over. It is a small cabin and fairly awkward to use most anywhere. For pee breaks, both me and her would empty the bladder over the side of the boat. Number 2 we would use the potty.

I just hate emptying ports ports. Not fun. I made sure my next boat had a pump out head. Cat 22 is a great boat btw. Just about the best boat to have fun and club race.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 05:46   #4

Boat: Hunter 380

Do a search online for a 5 gallon bucket composting head. I am assuming #1 isnt an issue
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, head