Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2019, 08:46   #16

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
Portable, Temporary Underway Heater

I run my generator full time when cruising my Hunter 356 and only burn between 5 and 6 gallons in 24 hours (Northern Lights 5KW). I do this to run the heat pump full time. That keeps the boat surfaces all warmed up and plenty comfortable. I live in Northern Tennessee and have my boat on power right now. With the current water temp in low 40’s heat pump has my interior at the setpoint of 71 degrees and it was 15 degrees here this morning when I checked the boat web camera.I carry extra diesel on the rail and use a super siphon (Amazon about $9) to run it into my tank - transfers 5 gallons in 1 min 40 seconds with no mess. I have cruised in this spring climate with full enclosure and it is comfortable in the cockpit on a 40 degree sunny day - sun heats the cockpit to about 55. It’s nice to be able to move to warm space. At night, temps are near outdoor but the enclosure eliminates the wind chill effect. We try to find a marina before dark. My engine is below the companionway steps and in high 20 temps, I have been known to stand in the companionway with the companionway doors shut and steer with my hand held autopilot. Heat rises through the companionway and will warm my feet and lower body while the heat pump keeps the cabin nice and toasty for my wife.
Crossing the northern GOM twice 36 and 50 hours ran generator full time with no issues. Longest generator run continuous has been 99 hours.
In the spring and going south this area it can be pleasant one day and freezing the next. It can still be cold until you reach central Florida, so be prepared.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:05   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Portable, Temporary Underway Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I have an Origo Heat Pal. Its simple, safe, and portable. Best used at anchor, but if properly secured, could be used under way as well. Its very simple...the canister of alcohol, exactly like inside the famous and well loved Origo stove, but in a heat dispersing structure.
This is my only onboard heater, and I do use it underway. I lock it in place, and am very careful, but it has never been a problem (so far).
Old 31-01-2019, 09:31   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If the reverse AC does not cut it, what's wrong with a couple of portable fan heaters run off the Geny? Far safer than gas, no additional humidity and very cheap.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
If the reverse AC does not cut it, what's wrong with a couple of portable fan heaters run off the Geny? Far safer than gas, no additional humidity and very cheap.
He has a generator? I didn't see that mentioned. If so, definitely do that.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:40   #20

Tie one of these into your engine coolant system while motoring

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292826615383
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 09:59   #21

Boat: Tartan 3800

Be very careful.

There are CO fatalities every year or two from people running portable heaters in boats. Here in the land of 10,000 laws we have to put stickers on our boats warning of the hazard because of a recent high-profile incident.

If you have a generator that is safe to run while underway, you can run electric heat. Be careful about clearances. Generally you need at least a 36" square clear area and many boats do not have that. One of the best systems for marine use is the pic-a-watt wall heater from King Electric. They're wired in, can run either 120v or 240, the idea is you put in several of them in different locations and adjust the wattage at install time (or with an optional switch) so that the result is even heat. Even if you just run a single unit they're good to have, because they're installed there's less potential for them getting knocked over or having the bed linens get caught in the inlet.

I would suggest either installing a proper heating system, waiting for warmer weather, wearing warm clothes, or having someone else handle the delivery.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 10:59   #22

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

I installed a Mr Heater in my Hunter 27. With the outdoor temp well below freezing, On the Hi setting, it warms the cabin up to the point where I can work in a T shirt in about 30 mins. Then switch to Lo and it will keep it comfortable .
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 11:09   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

It seems to me that you will likely motor a good bit, warming the cabin. And your legs are not that long, so why not use the heating system and run the generator if heat is needed when not motoring? At worst it means carrying some extra diesel fuel and it gets rid of carrying extra propane and the dangers that concern you. Probably will dehumdify also. Seems simple enough assuming you are talking a built in diesel generator.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:18   #24

Boat: Albin Vega 27

I use a buddy heater up here in Alaska all the time. Winter sailing is extreme and it does a good job. Keeping it lower in the cabin works better for cold soles. It will auto-shut off if the waves or heeling gets aggressive.
alaskaflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:23   #25

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

OH NO.......they discharge into the cabin, we used one for a time, it did go out when o2 was low..but it scared the blazes out of me as an accident waiting to happen. Why not something like a Zodi

Safe Tent Heaters | Heater Accessories | Zodi.com | Free Shipping* on Orders over $100 or some other tent heater.
Bill

How about this - a Mr. Heater Big Buddy propane powered heater -

Mr. Heater Big Buddy

Seems I could strap it down to the top of the gimballed stove and let it run to keep the main cabin area nice and toasty. I have a CO meter for the boat and my phone has one built in as well.

Anyone ever used one of these in this way? Any other suggestions for simple heat offshore? Thanks!

Terry[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:49   #26

The boat does have a generator and A/C with reverse cycle. I had sort of assumed that with water temps low ( <50) that would not work but if it does then I would likely just run the generator and do that. Could also then plug in the small electric space heaters I have as well. I will test the reverse cycle heat during survey early next week and see how that goes.

Thanks for all the opinions and ideas!

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 14:24   #27

Boat: Maine Cat 38

The reverse cycle heater on my boat delivers nice heat with a water temp in the low 40s F. Definitely give it a try.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 15:20   #28

Boat: Riva 48

It is a big boat to heat, keep this in mind. Your best bet is the genny+AC but there is a risk that either one may fail during the trip as it is a new boat to you. You need a back up plan and small heaters such as the Origo or the 420W 12V heater would not cut it. If you are more comfortable with the generator, I would just bring along a couple of 1500W space heaters secured to the floor.

Otherwise:

- propane heaters is the easiest, condensation would not be an issue, secure it and make sure you have enough propane (need to feed it from the main tanks). Propane heaters, if used wisely are not bad but do not use this 1 lb bottles inside, that is a the bigger risk, not CO which you can manage.

- engine heat may work but is too much effort to install

- a temp forced air heater could be ideal (you set it up on the deck, need to provide fuel from the Racor filter and 12V and then just feed the hot air into the boat, even through one of the dorades. The cheap ones from HK take too long to arrive though.

- finally, you can just get a cheap portable gas generator for the space heaters. Most likely you will not need it since you have a main generator but if everything goes south you have a backup option for $250 and these you can get from Amazon in two days.

I would go with propane.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 15:25   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseGoose View Post
Tie one of these into your engine coolant system while motoring

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F292826615383
I used one of these in a previous boat. Cheap, effective, reliable and simple. Free heat whenever the engine is running and safer than any of the other options.
Old 31-01-2019, 16:39   #30

Boat: Admiral 38

Hey Terry,
Use clay pots on the stove burners. Same clay pots used for planting. On lowest heat they will heat up and generate considerable heat to the surrounding areas. Use the stove fiddles to keep them in place.
TrialRum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater