Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2006, 20:55   #1

Boat: JJ Taylor Contessa 26
Prairie Sailor Searching for Coastal Cruiser

Hello everyone- this is my first post. I've enjoyed reading many of the posts and replies and hope that you would be kind enough to let me avail myself of some of the vast experience you have. I am searching for a cruising sailboat for the B.C. west coast. My experience to date is inland lake sailing in a Catalina 22 and a C&C 25. My coast experience is zero as a sailor- I am familiar with coastal waters as a diver and I have taken a coastal navigation course. I am hoping to spend weekends this winter and several weeks next summer cruising the Islands. A stable safe boat that is user friendly is important while I learn. I will be sailing solo most of the time. I will be staying aboard the boat when I am on the coast so creature comforts are important. With my limited experience I do not want to buy more boat than I can handle- however I would like to purchase a boat that will serve me as I grow into a confident sailor- I do not want to be trading up every several years. I have been looking at a 32' Ontario, a 36' CS, and a 34' Catalina all mid-eighties to early nineties. My price range is up to $100K CAD. Any suggestions?
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2006, 04:22   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
October,

You can get a very nice CS36 Traditional for that price. These boats have stood up very well over the years. The last ones were built in 1988. Lots of them around still and you see quite a few that have been re-done, awlgripped etc. Good luck in your search.
Old 29-09-2006, 07:03   #3

Boat: Ontario 32 - Aria
I'll have to chime in for the Ontario 32. I love mine. Has all the room I need as a cruising liveaboard, stable and sails well. Easy to singlehand, moving up from a 26 footer.

Within a dream, we may find a fantasy,
But never within a fantasy, will we live a dream.
PBzeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 10:31   #4

Boat: JJ Taylor Contessa 26
Thank you

Thanks for the replies- I am travelling to the coast next week to look at a CS36T and an Ontario 32. Hope that seeing them up close and going for a sea trial will help me come to a decision. Does anyone have experience with an Islander 32?
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2006, 10:55   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard!

Not too fond of the Islander but for a 100K budget and for the size you want, you can get a fairly good/new boat for around the islands here. You'll want something with strong rigging and reef points. The winds do pick up unexpectedly in short notice across the straits. Keep an ear on the WX stations.

On the inside the waves average 3-5 feet in a blow but on the outside they can get up to 20 feet.

The BC coast is a beautiful cruising area with plenty of gunk holes. Good luck on your venture................................_/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 15:15   #6

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Might be worth having a look at the S&S 34'.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc