Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2017, 17:50   #16

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Re: Pros and cons of this Tanzer 26 please

Get Don Casey's book and/or read Boatpoker's blog on how to survey a boat. Spend a couple of hours looking around on each and tally up what kind of work you'll need to do on each.
These are two totally different kinds of monohull boats. If you're going out into the open ocean on long voyages, then the choice is clear.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 18:38   #17

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Tell us where you're located, or rather where you plan to keep your boat, & we can steer you to some candidate boats. As without GOOD pics, it's impossible to telll anything about it. And a full equipment list would be vital to determining this as well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 08:30   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Tanzers are well made, long lasting boats with a strong following and owners association. Its unusual to find a T26 with an inboard diesel...do you think its original? most have an outboard.

Anyway, there are several for sale in my area for $3-4k (cdn). Most likely it will be a good boat for you.

Welcome to the Tanzer 26 website Bienvenue sur la page Tanzer 26

The best boat Tanzer made was the T22, which is just an incredible boat (I owned one too). The T26 has a good layout (quarter berth) and shallow draft. I say go for it!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:11   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsobers View Post
It's a 1977 Seafarer and it says needs some TLC and a small outboard to sail.

I looked at West Marine but didn't see tillers for the Tanzer. I could make one out of ash or something similar. I would prefer to take as much stuff the boat needs on my initial trip as I am not familiar with the area it's located.
I made a tiller out of an sledge hammer handle in a pinch. Ugly as hell but unbreakable.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:14   #20

Boat: Freedom 45

needs cleaning
but I sailed my tanzer all over the north east. well constructed
the builder used to have a supply business in Canada, I think out side Montréal
seaman-lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:22   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

What do you expect for £500 including the splash?

Other than a hunk of potentially remediable junk, a lot of hard work and possibly the expenditure of a lot more cash?

Oh, and I have reason to be interested in the name of the boat - albeit nothing to do with my family!
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:37   #22

Tanzers are fine, go for it! Especially with an inboard engine! Does it have sails? they can be expensive.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 09:44   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I almost sounds like it is to good to be true. There are no free lunches so look very closely. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 10:11   #24

Boat: Scout 30

Do yourself a big favor & get whichever boat is in the best condition, including motor & sails. Every repair will take more time & cost more that you think. Important thing to remember, just because the cost of entry is minimal it doesn't mean the cost of ownership is. In fact the less you pay for a boat the more it's likely to cost you.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 10:17   #25
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have looked at a lot of Westerly Centaurs, and that is the worst, most neglected, one I have seen. I would not waste time on that one.

You want to spend "only $1,000" on your first boat.

But, the wrong boat, in the worst condition (long term neglect) will mean much more has to be spent on EVERY little thing. Those little bits and the big bits will add up in cost.

I think it is much more prudent and cost effective to save a bit more and buy a boat that is much closer to "ready to go sailing." In other words, buying a long neglected boat is likely going to cost much more than $1,000 in bits and pieces (running rigging, hardware, fittings, running lights, wiring, pumps, etc.etc.) you need or MUST replace in order to go sailing. On the other hand, you could possibly find a boat for $2- 3,000 that is almost or is "ready to go" sailing.

I seem to recall seeing an Alberg 30 a year ago or so that was sold for about $3,000 and it looked wonderful (very nice condition), as anyone could see the owner had spent a lot of time maintaining it. Some 30 foot or less older boats (1970 era, full keel) are still very nicely kept by owners, and sell for less than $5,000.

So, some good "deals" on older boats are out there. If you are not concerned as much with the age of the boat, then look for the BEST CONDITION of any boat.

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 10:23   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

As long as the engine runs and the sails are usable ...... the Tanzer is an ideal starter boat. They really don't come much simpler. Marine Survey 101
Old 27-05-2017, 10:52   #27

Thanks for all the responses.

The inboard diesel supposedly runs in the Tanzer. It also has sails. Says roller furling jib and sails. Says sails need cleaned. Comes with many little extras including an inflatable dingy. He's not sure if the dingy is serviceable. Also no clarification of what extras are included.

I don't expect much for $500 including the launch. Sweat equit has never bothered me. I have gotten many cars cheaper cause I was willing to do the repairs and learn new processes. I assume boating isn't much different in that regard.

I believe it would be easier to sell an 1983ish Tanzer than a 1970 Westerly when it comes time to upgrade.

The Westerly only comes with sails, the boat and the motor. No compass or safety gear or anything else.

Thanks again for all the responses.
wjsobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 10:56   #28

Uncivilized,

I am looking in Maryland and Massachusetts for boats. Not sure yet if I plan to keep it there or take it thru part of the Great Loop into Lake Erie to the Cleveland Ohio area.

Boatpoker,

Thanks for the link. Now I will not have to search for it.
Old 27-05-2017, 11:23   #29

Alita,

I couldn't see a name. I will let you know next weekend. That's when I will be going to see it.
Old 27-05-2017, 11:27   #30

Good deals DO come up. Passed on a free Catalina 27 with inboard Yanmar a few years back. He wanted $3500 but ended up giving it away before I found out he decided to!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease