Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 18:20   #1

Prospective boat lacks a few systems

I've found a 45 ft. cruising boat that I like but she lacks a few items. I'd appreciate a "ballpark" cost as well as a favorite for the items below. Btw, the boat has European electrics 230v/12v if that makes a difference. TIA

-Jim

Water Maker
Generator
Air conditioning
dingy
Freezer
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 20:23   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Prospective boat lacks a few systems

Much too vague. Provide some needed details and you'll get lots of responses.
How many gallons of water will you consume per day? What is your existing water tankage? Will the generator be a new installation or was there a pre-existing one which is present or has been removed? Are the beds in place for a generator? Is the wiring, plumbing, etc. already there? Air conditioning....are any of the support systems in place? Where will your primary cruising area be? Do you expect to run it 24/7. Freezer, same type of info needed. Dinghy? Plywood Pram propelled by oars to RIB with a 40 horse outboard. What are your preferences and requirements? Professional installation or do it yourself?
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 21:02   #3

Boat: between boats

I've put together a spreadsheet for myself last month. I'm a couple years from buying a boat but I expect it will be missing systems and I wanted to know ballpark costs. Here are some ballparks costs and the links for them. Take it with a grain of salt since it may not be what you're looking for, you can by cheaper used, etc, etc. But hopefully can be a starting point for you. The links might help you shop around yourself and adjust sizes for your needs.

RIB inflatable
$5,433
AB Inflatables Navigo 12 VS gray (6 person, 12')
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794282|1831365&id=3338389

Outboard motor
$2,683
Tohatsu 15 HP 4-Stroke Outboard Motor
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794283|1794302&id=3367969

Water maker
$4,895
Katadyn Powersurvivor 80 E
https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Powersurvivor-80-Watermaker-Desalinator/dp/B000F3CH08/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SAFJE0G TR6SFZV2TNKE3
Water maker maintenance kit
$340
PowerSurvivor 80E Extended Cruise Kit
Watermaker repair kit
$140
PowerSurvivor 80E Repair Seal Kit
aquadreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 21:35   #4

I don't think it's possible to get more than very general ballpark figures as the final cost of each project tends to be boat and owner specific. What cost $2,000 on one particular boat may end up costing X2 or X3 times on a boat of similar size just because some boats are easier to work on than others or because one owner can live with installing a used windlass himself and another has to have a spanking brand new one installed by A1 rated yard. Not unlike asking - "what will buying and owning a car cost me?" The answer will range from "a few hundreds of $$" to "a few hundreds of thousands".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 21:52   #5

Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding. Here's a few answers to some of the points you raised. Not sure number of gallons per day, but the boat has 200 gal. of water. No prior genset. No prior AC but does have heating system. Frig was upgraded with frigoboat with keel cooler but freezer was not upgraded. In general probably a mix of professional install and diy. Don't have answers for some of your other questions.

Just to clarify I really just looking for rough numbers for these items hopefully from folks who've done similar projects on a 40 - 45ft. cruising boat to see if the ask price for this boat plus the cost of these items makes for a good boat buy, taking into account of course the substantial variability in those costs.

Maybe a better question to ask is if you have a ~45 ft cruising boat and you've done one of these projects, what did it run you?

I understand that there could be a lot of variability in those costs given type of boat, diy, or prof install, etc.

thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Much too vague. Provide some needed details and you'll get lots of responses.
How many gallons of water will you consume per day? What is your existing water tankage? Will the generator be a new installation or was there a pre-existing one which is present or has been removed? Are the beds in place for a generator? Is the wiring, plumbing, etc. already there? Air conditioning....are any of the support systems in place? Where will your primary cruising area be? Do you expect to run it 24/7. Freezer, same type of info needed. Dinghy? Plywood Pram propelled by oars to RIB with a 40 horse outboard. What are your preferences and requirements? Professional installation or do it yourself?
jimp1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 22:32   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp1234 View Post
I've found a 45 ft. cruising boat that I like but she lacks a few items. I'd appreciate a "ballpark" cost as well as a favorite for the items below. Btw, the boat has European electrics 230v/12v if that makes a difference. TIA

-Jim

Water Maker
Generator
Air conditioning
dingy
Freezer
Assuming you are paying someone to do the install, and the boat is not already set up for it (through hulls, etc), my *guess* would be:

Water Maker: $8000
Generator: Honda 2000 - $1000
Diesel Generator - $8000
Air Conditioning: $4000
Dinghy: $3000 - $10000
Freezer: Engel $1000
Built-in: $3000
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:00   #7

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

My answer is as vague as your question. Also, these are the obvious items. There are very likely many non-obvious issues. You might get some change from $100K if someone else does it.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:01   #8

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:

-Jim

Water Maker
Generator
Air conditioning
dingy
Freezer
I can understand most of those items...but why would you want to make it dingy? Gloomy and drab is the opposite of what I would install, but could be done for next to nothing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:04   #9

Quote:

-Jim

Water Maker
Generator
Air conditioning
dingy
Freezer
28 k installed in FL
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:15   #10

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

For American waters you need to rewire all of your A/C circuits because the lower American voltage means you are pushing twice as many amps. You might have to adjust your engine alternator and your battery charger for American input. None of this is cheap if you use a qualified tech but saving money on that might cost you your boat or worse in a fire. For equipment start with the Defender website to see costs and options. My understanding is that rewiring European boats for American waters is not cheap. You may also need to replace all of your AC equipment if you have any.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:32   #11
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

-Jim

Water Maker
Generator
Air conditioning
dingy
Freezer
The electrical issue (different electrical voltages) is a topic that has been discussed at length on CF. Here is a link to many previous discussions on that topic.

European vs. American Electrial Systems on Boats

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...tem&gsc.page=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:45   #12

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I refrained from answering this question when it was first posted because it is so vague, in addition to the huge amount of variables present. All of which make it impossible to even get close, answer wise. This ain't like having a new set of tires put onto the car, where you give a size & type of desired tire, & the shop gives you a fairly close answer for costs.

The simple method is to treat adding these items to a boat as you would with any other major modification project. Be it to a car, house, or space craft. Pick the item to be added, along with it's accessory & support hardware (wiring, plumbing, etc.), and then get several bids for the job. Even if but theoretical bids, but ones with a standardized number of man hours for the installation, & testing + inspection. And a standardized cost list for all of the accessory items, & support hardware.

This won't tell you what it'll cost to add a watermaker to boat X, exactly. But you'll have an overview of what's involved.
Asking someone else to do this for you, break down the costs, isn't fair, nor realistic. And you're setting yourself up for failure/disappointment, along with wanting someone else to do much of the (simple) legwork of such projects, & by relation, boatbuying process, for you.

If you seriously plan to own a boat, it's best to start self-educating now on what goes into a boat's various systems. Along with costs, labor, upkeep... and the know how to do same yourself, even if you choose to hire it out. Please do this, or the upkeep on the systems of a boat that size will rapidly eat up your wallet. Particularly since you won't know what needs doing to them, how much time is involved, if repair x is truly necessary, how much said wrenching should cost, or if in fact a job has been properly done.

The care & feeding of a boat this size can quite easily be a full time job, even for the experienced, or a professional. So some studying on these questions/topics & other related ones would be highly beneficiial.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:21   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Water maker - $5.5k
Generator - $8-10k
Air conditioning - ??? do really need/want this?
Dinghy - $3.5k, OB $2k
Freezer - depends on what you start with
Old 02-01-2017, 12:40   #14

Where are you going to use boat. In USA, Canada you need to have boat with 120v AC or you are going to face problems (or buy another piece of expensive equipment. If most of rest of world then 240v is what you want.

Usually would be better to buy boat with the equipment you want already installed. I have Catalina 42 for sale and cost of everything you need (except for dinghy is included in the boat. (Even dinghy and motor in good condition are for sale at reasonable price.) You can view boat here

2006 Catalina 42 MkII Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I saw one person said 8K for generator. New diesel genset would cost more like $10,000 and then you would need to install it which would cost significantly more if not to replace a currently installed genset.

Good Luck with your cruising plans. Once you get going you will be happy.
Old 02-01-2017, 13:03   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

As often noted above, the question is toward the vague side, but you have received some fairly straight forward answers. The general rule response is, more than you would expect, which can be combined with the standard, it depends. As also noted the voltage issue has been addressed in depth, but since one cannot address controllable safety issues often enough, please remember that in general, vessels designed for "higher voltages" (say 220 or 240 versus 110 or 120, or even 24 versus 12) may have wiring and everything else than can be dangerous if, say, the amperage is doubled. Know the consequences and potential consequences of the electrical system components on what you have and what you may acquire. It not only affects costs but life and limb.