Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2011, 08:16   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Protection from Pirates: The Almost-Perfect Solution

Killing isnt the answer--prevention is the answer--don't advertise.
Get one of those wonderful screen doors like markj has--and use it.
Find a good Louisville slugger.
Have a dog or cat to warn of approaching uninvited guests.
Have a fun life.
Old 22-07-2011, 08:17   #92
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
I have a 900,000 volt tazer the size of a pkt of fags and an extendable batton and have used them both. Let the bu%&*~s try to come in the hatch way and zap them then cosh them and cable tie them up then off to sea when a decent distance from land (about 100 miles put them over the side. We dont play with guns or intruders if they board us they have NO rights on our boat. Also the authorities dont know whats happened. Most of the time its when you are at anchor that they are a problem. At sea just stay away from the areas of pirates or suffer the results.
DAMN IT MAN!
Old 22-07-2011, 08:25   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Feelgood has me wondering...what are the regs, when an intruder does get on your boat without permission? Can you take the law into your own hands? Can you tie someone up and hold them till the police show up or is that kidnapping?DVC
Old 22-07-2011, 08:31   #94

Boat: Island Packet 40

MarkJ,

I like the grate. Where did you get it?
Old 22-07-2011, 08:48   #95

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

I believe in guns for protection, but won't carry one on my boat. Too many possible problems with officials in different places. This thread got me thinking and I scratched around a little. Found that rounds for a 40mm flare gun as suggested by one member require a federal stamp and are considered weapons of mass destruction by the government. However, 37mm flare guns/ projectile launchers which are not thus regulated are available for a price to the public and law enforcement that will launch flares and also law enforcement and wildlife control type rounds including crowd dispersal rounds for swat teams and bird bombs that produce the sound and appearance of the impact of an artillary shell at a very imprssive range. Instructions for reloading these shells are readily available. Not cheap, but either is my life if push comes to shove and a skiff with obvious baddies is making way for my boat and use of this means becomes really necessary. Need the flare gun anyway.
Old 22-07-2011, 09:11   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
I have a 900,000 volt tazer...
And yet once again, please do not forget that there are countries in this world where having that taser is just as illegal as having a tommy-gun.

Same basic answer to tropicalescape's question, and to vintageray's comments--every country has their own laws, and you need to know what those laws are BEFORE you arrive. In some countries it may be legal to hold an intruder, and in others it might not. In some countries a 37mm flare may be perfectly legal, and in others it might not.

When we are talking about the law, if we are not specifically clear about what jurisdiction we are talking about, then our comments are pointless! You cannot count on the laws in Barbados being the same as the laws in the U.S. being the same as the laws in Sri Lanka being the same as the laws in France... They are not.
Old 22-07-2011, 09:25   #97
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

I think it is a foregone conclusion to board anyones boat one needs permission! Entry beyond that is unlawfull! If caught without a proper explenation the yacht owner is entiitled to apprehend him and if tie cables does it, so be it and hand him or her over to the police. If you are uncertain about the foreign law, their water line juristiction, well the sharks too need food!

Old 22-07-2011, 09:33   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Written some time ago, I wouldn't rely on the specific information therein, but the following will give some of less cosmopolitan members an idea of the various laws and resrictions extant outside our homelands.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ntry-1641.html

Old 22-07-2011, 09:50   #99
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
the yacht owner is entiitled to apprehend him and if tie cables does it, so be it and hand him or her over to the police.
I don't know if you can do that in many countries.
Certainly not in Australia. Citizens arrest is just about asking someone to stay till the police arrive. tie them up and you'll be the one in jail.

As for these weirdo foreign countries we all cruise in if the police arrest you it might take 6 months for the tiral to come up. So 6 months in the lock-up till they find you not guilty.

Better to just change the minds of the intruder so they go away and look for an easier target. Then let the police do their job.

If you boat is locked down, the VHF blaring out Maydays and stuff squirting out of windows, hatches etc, plus the odd flare, hullabaloo and smoke then who is going to stay on board trying to gain entrance?

Even one of your smoke flares tossed into the cockpit will stir things up. Sure you might have to clean some orange goop out the next day, but its better than getting too close in the confrontation?

If they are in the cockipt and you pop a orange smoke flare out the forward hatch onto the foredeck, then quickly close the hatch, the smoke would drift back over the cockipt making it all a bit weird even for dumb crims.

If the intruder has a gun they can't do much with it unless you stand in front of them. But a dark saloon and you hiding out of sight what do they have to shoot at? Nor will they have enough amo to make it a battle. We are not talking about Somali stuff, just 'normal' criminal stuff in normal cruising areas.

The realities need to be rehearsed. Then the Wombat Blaster will be obviously of no use.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 22-07-2011, 09:57   #100
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageray View Post
I believe in guns for protection, but won't carry one on my boat. Too many possible problems with officials in different places. This thread got me thinking and I scratched around a little. Found that rounds for a 40mm flare gun as suggested by one member require a federal stamp and are considered weapons of mass destruction by the government. However, 37mm flare guns/ projectile launchers which are not thus regulated are available for a price to the public and law enforcement that will launch flares and also law enforcement and wildlife control type rounds including crowd dispersal rounds for swat teams and bird bombs that produce the sound and appearance of the impact of an artillary shell at a very imprssive range. Instructions for reloading these shells are readily available. Not cheap, but either is my life if push comes to shove and a skiff with obvious baddies is making way for my boat and use of this means becomes really necessary. Need the flare gun anyway.
The Webley, being ancient and British, fires inch and a half shells. These are the same as 37mm, not 40. Thanks for pointing that out, misinformation on my part. Glad someone was paying attention to my solution though. I'd post some pics of my reload testing, but I'm hesitant. This is a legal grey area or worse...
Old 22-07-2011, 10:20   #101

Boat: Island Packet 35 Cutter Rig
pirate Re: PROTECTION FROM PIRATES: The almost perfect solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panamajames View Post
No pirates in Canada so don't worry about that. USE only in the Caribbean.

I am sure there are very few laws against defending yourself in the Caribbean.
Sure there are pirates in Canada, I have a list of them:

Banks
Canadian Government
Taxi drivers
Sales people

the list goes on...lol
Old 22-07-2011, 10:34   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Wikipedia has an excellent article on citizen’s arrest, including specific Laws by country:

Citizen's arrest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 22-07-2011, 11:08   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 365 Dean Catamaran

I ran accross a cow prodder which releases 2000 volt on prodding. This is what i call a shock stick and it works like a real a charm. It will put a very large man down quite comfortably.

I had a movement alarm on board so that when the ray is distrurbed an alarm goes off, lights go on and i am waiting with my shock stock fun and games!!! What is so neat about my shock stick is that it has a reach of about 1.25 Meter right out of the way of a knife or a batten!
Old 22-07-2011, 11:14   #104

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel12 View Post
I ran accross a cow prodder which releases 2000 volt on prodding. This is what i call a shock stick and it works like a real a charm. It will put a very large man down quite comfortably.
I've heard a cattle prod is a great way to get sealions off your boat too. Not a problem in the Bahamas but on the west coast it'll save your boat.
Old 22-07-2011, 11:31   #105

Boat: Far East Mariner 40

A bit off topic, but there are Sea Weasels here in North Carolina. I kept finding muddy paw prints on my boat and wondered how dogs were getting on board. One night I heard some scrambling around on the cabin top and opened the hatch to see a 60 pound or so Weasel taking a crap on a neatly coiled line, right next to me. Very startling for both of us. It jumped in the water and swam away.