Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2022, 09:00   #16

Re: Pullman Berth w/head in bow

No, I don't have a sailboat, but the same discussion goes on with power boats too. I have a 42' trawler (Kadey Krogen) that has a full head with shower in the bow (just aft of the chain locker) and a queen pullman to starboard just aft of the head in the main stateroom. The bed has a dozen built-in drawers below it along with significant additional storage under the mattress behind the drawers. There's a double closet and dresser to port, so having the offset pullman allows a good bit of storage, including the smaller storage lockers in the head in the bow. There's another full head aft of the master to port, across from the starboard guest stateroom. Having a second head for backup (insert inevitable head malfunction stories here) is a good "spare" to have. It also provides privacy. If we had the alternative layout offered with a center queen island bed, we'd lose some storage in the main cabin as well as a full head and its storage areas. Besides, climbing over or being climbed over by the admiral can have it's benefits
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 09:18   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddmack View Post
Just seeing how many cruisers have opinions/experience with the head in the very bow and the pullman berth just aft of the bow. I've seen them on the Beneteau 393, IPs 40 & 420, and I think the Hans Christian 33.
Just to confirm what we are discussing, a forward pullman berth on a yacht consists of a fixed bed on one side and some cabinetry on the other. (I understand another definition of a pullman berth is a bed that folds down for use and up to make more room...more popular on trains.)

I have a pullman berth on my boat; the head is aft of the berth, a sail locker and anchor chain locker are respectfully both forward. I like it as when it comes time to get up you have all your organized stored clothing and other essentials on the other side. I can see where that arrangement might not be the best choice on a smaller boat. I sleep on the isle side in case something needs attention in the middle of the night.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 11:13   #18
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Different experiences and view: I prefer a V at anchor. With the hatch open I know, while dead asleep, what the wind and wave are doing. I could pop my head out and see if the idiot was dragging down on us yet, and be back asleep in 15 seconds. A bouncy V puts me deep asleep like nothing else.
Fully agree--especially on the Chesapeake. With a wind scoop, the hatch directly above the heads of those sleeping on the V-berth funnels a delightful cooling breeze for happy summer cruising.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 12:03   #19
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Has anyone here owned a traditional boat like a Bristol Channel Cutter or Falmouth Cutter? In some layouts the the forward-most space has a pilot berth or two as well as the toilet, often under a fold-up cover. Or a V berth with the toilet behind and next to the door.
The chain locker is also close by.

I always wondered how that worked out for people, especially if there is an admiral onboard.

Of course, You can use the settees or pilot berths in the main cabin instead of sleeping in the head…
Old 13-02-2022, 13:27   #20

Boat: 1976 AMF Paceship 23

One other advantage is that I f the hatch is over the head, it’s possible to leave it open during rain. A great advantage n a hot area where it is uncomfortable to completely close up the boat. I’ve experienced that with Beneteau 411’s in hot climates. Also, while hard for outboard sleeper very easy for inboard sleeper to get in or out. I love it.
KenKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 13:55   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sddmack View Post
Just seeing how many cruisers have opinions/experience with the head in the very bow and the pullman berth just aft of the bow. I've seen them on the Beneteau 393, IPs 40 & 420, and I think the Hans Christian 33.
I absolutely HATED mine. The head up forward is fine but the Pullman on my HC38 and Passport 47 were terrible. Cave-ish, hard to get out of (especially for the outside person), stuffy and hot. The outside person always felt like they were going to bang their head on the overhead /underdeck also!

I have been on a charter Beneteau, that had a berth in pullman location, but it was real low to the floor (big boat) and totally open. That was fine.

Nice and low, open:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	252905  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 14:28   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

What is the smallest boat with a Pullman berth?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 21:10   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Indeed. Pity the person that has to clean such a heads after a long passage . . .
Or - Boat rule: Everyone sits to pee whilst underway!
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 22:26   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Or - Boat rule: Everyone sits to pee whilst underway!

A rule for little boats!

But in any case, sitting on a toilet in the forepeak in a lively seaway is like riding a bucking bronco! Not sure it helps much.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 00:07   #25

Boat: Nordic Family Boat, 29ft

I have never tried actually sleeping/living in one, but for me the layout seems very good. I find it rather difficult to climb in and out of a V-berth without waking my GF. When trying a pullman it seems both a lot easier to get in/out and I also love the concept of having your "own bath" away from guests etc.

But like I said, I have not slept in one myseld. And while the bow head might be bad when you are underway, the other head is still there to be used?

However, my absolute favorite while at anchor is an Island berth. But that takes up a lot of space in the boat, so it is unsure if its really worth it.
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 04:02   #26

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by srbigham View Post
I specifically bought a Beneteau Oceanis 400 with that layout. It’s great for the space usage. I’ve used the head underway without problem. The berth is also useful and spacious. Vberths are nothing more than a storage space that have poor sleeping quality at anchor or underway.
We have the same boat and I'm inclined to say the same thoughts on this layout. Our last boat was al more traditional layout with vee and it was far more of a pain to use.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 05:32   #27

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northlander View Post
And while the bow head might be bad when you are underway, the other head is still there to be used?
Not all boats with this layout have a second aft head.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 06:06   #28

Boat: Nordic Family Boat, 29ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
Not all boats with this layout have a second aft head.

Yes, you are of course correct. I only know of the Beneteau 393/400 and Island Packet 40s mentioned (all of these have double heads)

But naturally if they only have one head I would not want to move it so far from the boat center!
Northlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 06:30   #29

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

If there is a hatch over the pullman for ventilation than probably acceptable for most. It gets old after a while to wake up if the outside person needs to get up when the other is sleeping.

Also like any berth against the hull, if cold out the outside person has to deal w/a cold hull.This is easily remedied.

The forward head is useful if it too has a large hatch. Depending on size of boat and crew size, typically only needs one functional head. If this is a second head, the large access can be used as a sail/line storage or work bench area.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2022, 07:45   #30

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I have had both. Would definitely not go for a V berth if I could find a Pullman. And ditto what people have said about the forward head being hard to use out at sea. We used it to store lightweight stuff on passage and reactivated it as a head when we dropped anchor.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head