Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2013, 19:23   #31

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Pullman Berths

Now that you mention/describe it, I've got a Pullman berth/bed. I sleep on the closest-to-centerline portion as I've the weakest bladder. For smaller boats such as mine, the offset-berth provides more room otherwise in the cabin and still provides opportunities to cuddle.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 19:28   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
..i donot use for that, as it is only the size for those who built this boat.
Dwarfs built your boat?
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 20:13   #33

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Suijin,

Statistics no, perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought a great idea years ago would be apparent and it would spread further than it has and therefore more common, I see there are some production versions. But my problem is I'm after blue water and when I find one, none have had my preferred layout unless there at a higher price level. Sure law of supply and demand but why is the supply not higher.

Note: I assume the original name of Pullman did come from the rail car. And perhaps when they were first incorporated in yachts, they were lifting to access the storage beneath.

Cheers and thanks, and I'm still boatless.
Oceanrider
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 14:32   #34

Boat: Seapiper 35

It could be that you see the V berth more often is that with the V berth arrangement it is easier to have room for a shower stall(which most people use for storage).
hgd137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 11:10   #35

My favorite thing about my pullman berth is that it is so quick and easy to access the chain locker to knock down the castle - I don't even touch my bedding. It usually takes two to three trips to the chain locker, and this is *very* nice when it is raining, or blowing enough I'm not able to wash the chain as I bring it up.

When I was married and my husband would pull up the anchor and I waited at the chain locker to knock down the castles my hands still got wet and muddy from the chain and rode. I can't imagine tolerating the extra time to clamber back and forth over a V-berth AND getting water and mud on my bed, not to mention putting my feet where my face goes EVERY time I get in bed.

Another benefit, no off-the-shelf sheets or blankets will fit a V-berth, but standard queen sheets fit my pullman, just tuck the extra under the one corner. (And dream about the day I'll have a sewing machine and can make them fit perfectly. ) As far as climbing over someone ... the side along the hull is longer so I was the one to be woken when my ex got up. I viewed it as a chance to get a kiss.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 09:30   #36

I just can't see me doing a head rolls and back flips to get into a bunk after spending this kind of money. Just going to have to get a Han's Christen.
Capt Smith is offline   Reply With Quote