Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 15:41   #1

Put the money down on Durfour Arpege this weekend

Well as they say, I went and did it. Put most of the money down on a nice, well maintained 68' Dufour Arpege this weekend. My first big boat(~30ft), and I cant wait to get the name changed with the uscg, and sail her. Lol, 1 problem the boat is in hilton head SC, and I live up in NC. I know from past experience its wrong to make tight schedules when on a sailing trip. I am stuck with either trying to find a way to take a whole week off if I can fit it in my work schedule and take the icw back to nc. The easier scheduling option it appears would be to take her offshore from hilton head to beaufort nc. Hoping that it would drastically cut the travel time on the trip. Here's the rub, I dont feel comfortable enough on my own at this point on bringing a boat up by myself that far offshore. I also have been sufffering again from migraines that wipe me out. I would hate to be off shore and get caught off guard by one. So folks got any tips or ideas? I am going to look into the cost of shipping via truck this week. I have also considered hiring someone to do delivery. Anything you guys can think of?
Cheers!
RavenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:48   #2

Re: Put the money down on Durfour Arpege this weekend

at least you'd be going with the gulfstream offshore. I think taking a boat you dont know, especially that old might be a mistake though. The ICW would be fun and you'd get to know your boat. cant take too long from SC to NC....?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:04   #3

Good idea to NOT go offshore: new to you boat, migraines, etc. Get to know the boat first.

Don't know how long a drive it is, but could you do it in steps up the ditch?

Hope you can take the time off. Plan one week realizing it would really take two... Don't hurry.

Congrats on the new boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:19   #4

That was my thinking guys. I dont doubt the sea worthiness of the boat, she just got back from a summer cruise from sc to fl and then to the bahamas and back. But its a new(old) boat for me. I have spoke to some folks who have done the hilton head to the part of nc I live via icw trip. Times ranged from 5 to 7 days depending on the weather. I would love to sail her home, and I have thought of the jumping from point to point up the icw. Its about 4.5 hrs all interstate from my house to hilton head. However, that being said i can amtrak from the station by work to there(savannah to be factual) and not drive. So doing a few jumps on the icw, and taking a rental back home afterwards wouldnt be completely out of the question. Taking a full week off of work probably isnt in the cards for me the next couple of months. My schedule is packed. The marina where she is at, is pretty steep compared to what i am use to paying in nc. But hey its worth it to pay a little extra to bring her home in a safe manner if it just requires a little more time for planning. I was looking at the weekend of labor day or the one after, to see if i could finesse my schedule to take a friday/monday off, and find an experienced skipper/sailor to help bring her back on the outside. I think you guys are right though that might be too much of a gamble. I do have offshore experience but..I would like to have a steady hand with me if I did it this time due to the migraine flare ups. Getting that checked this week, i think its the heat, not enough fluids, plus I am taking a new medication and this could be a side affect. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-08-2012, 17:22   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

You can`t bet on seaworthiness of any 1968 boat unless you know her systems are 100% fine (think of a 1968 person). This is mostly after you have had her for a time, found the issues and replaced some things (think of a 1968 person ;-).

Take it slow, offshore can wait.

Arpege nice boats - space and good performance.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:03   #6

what part of NC are you taking her to?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 16:13   #7

Depends on slip availability. I called around today to check out availability at oriental, beaufort, belhaven and washington.

Tags
money