Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2019, 11:22   #31

Re: Question about single handing

I got a used wheel that was 2" smaller in diameter to make it easier to get around the wheel. I notice no difference in performance. The other thing you can do is get a folding wheel where the sides fold in to help you get around it.
Tillerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:24   #32

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

For starters, hafting to step up to go forward for what ever reason is DANGEROUS !, two simple ways to make it SAFE, move the winches back and go to a smaller wheel, have done this on a couple of customer's boat's, one should be able to access the winches from the wheel, these BIG wheels are for racing with a crew, don't belong on cruising boat's, especially single handing, and relying on auto pilots to tack, ect. is not good seamanship.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 11:32   #33
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about single handing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: "forget the wheel unless you're in tight quarters."

Precisely! But more important than Gamayun's advice for the handling of boats with wheel steering is that her ignoring the wheel 90% of the time is proof positive that wheel steering is a dysfunctional abomination in small boats - boats up to, let's say, thirty tons. Beyond that the mechanical advantage afforded by a wheel may be required by some people. In small boats wheel steering just makes life unnecessarily difficult and has come about because fifty years ago, or thereabouts, thousands upon thousands of people with no maritime background, but the money to spend, suddenly felt a desperate urge to become sailors. All they knew from boats was cars. Ergo - a steering wheel was essential :-)!

Steering a well trimmed boast does not require the white-knuckled, stare-unblinkingly-ahead approach that steering a car induces.

TrentePieds
Booga.. and there was I thinking it was down to Hollywood movies and folks thinking salty sailors looked like this..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81621ac2308769ccb9c4feeba86b121f.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	196163  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 12:33   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

To single hand in tight quarters you need to be able to steer and crank on the sheet winch without moving from your position. One hand on the wheel and the other on the winch handle. The layout pictured is hopeless for that. I love tiller steered boats as I can steer with the tiller between my legs and have both hands free to crank and tail on sheets or whatever. It makes single handing somewhat of a breeze. Have done a lot of short tacking in confined spaces or impromptu boat challenges simultaneously steering and trimming.

For single handing you either need to move the winches or the wheel so you can steer and work the boat from the same place. When it comes to actually making passages, autopilot or self steering will handle the wheel/tiller and leave you free to work the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 12:48   #35

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
...wheel steering is a dysfunctional abomination in small boats - boats up to, let's say, thirty tons. Beyond that the mechanical advantage afforded by a wheel may be required by some people...
TrentePieds
Having owned and sailed a 43' with a tiller for 33years, and having sailed other's tiller and wheel steered boats many times I will say this:

Wheel steering is not an abomination. It is preferable for most people. If you have to steer a bigger boat with a tiller for several hours your back will soon complain. With a wheel (a big wheel with direct and efficient linkage) you can sit in a comfortable spot and steer with one arm, not with your back, for more hours or days.

YES, we all intend to use the AP (or wind vane) 90% of the time, but there will be times when you want, or must, self steer. Many passage makers have experienced autopilot failure. A good wheel is a very good option, even in boats as small as 30 ft.

A tiller gives great feel, I love mine, but a big direct wheel is equally precise.

Changing to a small wheel to make movement in the cockpit easier reduces the mechanical advantage and feel of the helm. Maybe if you have hydraulic steering or some really dead feeling helm with 6 turns lock to lock it does not make much difference. But really, don't do it if you love sailing, get a bigger wheel!

TrentePieds, 30 tons is a really big boat in my opinion, and needs a good wheel. My boat is 8 tons and I really am skeptical of tiller steering for bigger boats unless it is a race boat.
Old 18-07-2019, 13:24   #36

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I suspect I am not the only reader here who is wondering why, honestly and respectfully, why you would have a problem with simply turning the wheel and stepping around the binnacle to get to the sheet winches. But if you do have limited mobility, perhaps you can move to the forward side of the helm before turning the boat, then operate the wheel from there during the tack.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:27   #37

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I never stand behind the wheel.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:42   #38

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

My boat is similar. The key is to have everything ready in anticipation of the tack. Lazy sheet on the winch, and handle in position and slack out of the lazy sheet. I stand in front on the wheel, and keep one hand on the wheel and have the burdened sheet in the other hand. Put the helm over (usually more than if you were crewed), and let the sheet off the winch and grind the new burdened sheet.

I look a bit like a monkey hanging from the wheel with one hand, but it works. In flatter water, I put the wheel over and use both hands for the tacking, and then adjust course after I get back to the wheel. That way I can control the sheets from slapping.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 13:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
To single hand in tight quarters you need to be able to steer and crank on the sheet winch without moving from your position. One hand on the wheel and the other on the winch handle. The layout pictured is hopeless for that. I love tiller steered boats as I can steer with the tiller between my legs and have both hands free to crank and tail on sheets or whatever. It makes single handing somewhat of a breeze. Have done a lot of short tacking in confined spaces or impromptu boat challenges simultaneously steering and trimming.

For single handing you either need to move the winches or the wheel so you can steer and work the boat from the same place. When it comes to actually making passages, autopilot or self steering will handle the wheel/tiller and leave you free to work the boat.

To single hand in tight quarters you need to be able to steer and crank on the sheet winch without moving from your position. One hand on the wheel and the other on the winch handle. The layout pictured is just fine for that. I don't need a tiller steered boat, as I can steer with the wheel standing just in front of the binnacle, and have both hands free to crank and tail on sheets or whatever. It makes single handing ... a complete breeze. Have done a lot of short tacking in confined spaces or impromptu boat challenges simultaneously steering and trimming. With my wheel.

For single handing you NEITHER need to move the winches or the wheel. You simply stand in FRONT of the wheel, so you can steer and work the boat from the same place. When it comes to actually making passages, autopilot or self steering will handle the wheel/tiller and leave you free to work the boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 14:05   #40

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
My boat is similar. The key is to have everything ready in anticipation of the tack. Lazy sheet on the winch, and handle in position and slack out of the lazy sheet. I stand in front on the wheel, and keep one hand on the wheel and have the burdened sheet in the other hand. Put the helm over (usually more than if you were crewed), and let the sheet off the winch and grind the new burdened sheet.

I look a bit like a monkey hanging from the wheel with one hand, but it works. In flatter water, I put the wheel over and use both hands for the tacking, and then adjust course after I get back to the wheel. That way I can control the sheets from slapping.
This is the main thing about single handing (I singlehand an Alberg 35 with a wheel). It's like sailing chess: you have to think ahead several steps So to tack: have the lazy sheet on the winch, ready to go, mainsheet trimmed, working sheet ready to be off. Get the boat started moving through the tack, quickly take off the working sheet, as the jib goes over, haul in what you can, get back on the side of the wheel, make suer boat is on course, trim the jib. I second what others have said about steering from the side. Mostly, it takes practice!
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 16:16   #41

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

If you've set your boat up for single-handed sailing, you'll have some self-steering or autopilot. You'll probably also have "all lines to the cockpit" set up.
If you are not set up for single-handing, you'll have a much harder time and you'll find yourself hand-steering for long periods without relief.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:07   #42

For me, the easiest way to single hand is to use the autopilot generously. I even let it handle the steering when I tack, while I work the sheets. But, I like to steer sitting on the low side. Different people like to steer different ways, but I just like being close to the water when heeled. And, near the sheet winch.
Old 18-07-2019, 17:30   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about single handing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
For me, the easiest way to single hand is to use the autopilot generously. I even let it handle the steering when I tack, while I work the sheets. But, I like to steer sitting on the low side. Different people like to steer different ways, but I just like being close to the water when heeled. And, near the sheet winch.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:38   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
To single hand in tight quarters you need to be able to steer and crank on the sheet winch without moving from your position. One hand on the wheel and the other on the winch handle. The layout pictured is just fine for that. I don't need a tiller steered boat, as I can steer with the wheel standing just in front of the binnacle, and have both hands free to crank and tail on sheets or whatever. It makes single handing ... a complete breeze. Have done a lot of short tacking in confined spaces or impromptu boat challenges simultaneously steering and trimming. With my wheel.

For single handing you NEITHER need to move the winches or the wheel. You simply stand in FRONT of the wheel, so you can steer and work the boat from the same place. When it comes to actually making passages, autopilot or self steering will handle the wheel/tiller and leave you free to work the boat.
The sheet winches on that boat are too far away from the wheel to be able to swing a winch handle the full 360 degrees and probably even a half turn while steering. The winches should be moved back to just in front of those fasteners on the coaming which would probably solve the problem.

Have a boat that used to have a wheel and was the happiest boat owner alive when I made it a yard decoration and installed a tiller. Find wheels much more fatiguing to steer with especially when the boat is loaded up and trucking with weather helm. Found it a bit of a challenge to stand on one leg while trying to steer the boat with the other when I needed both hands free for other fun things like handling the boat. With todays boats mostly having balanced rudders the mechanical advantage isn't a benefit and a negative because of the slow input to the rudder. If you like your wheel more power to you but I think they are just a yuppie status symbol on boats under 35'-40' and down right stupid on boats 30' and below. I have done 72 hours on a tiller without a problem other than the hallucinations towards the end of that sleepless vigil.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 17:44   #45

Pete, my experience, with my boat, is that I almost don't have to steer while tacking upwind, because I turn the wheel so the boat slowly turns and do the winch work, then readjust the wheel to the new course. I did this in SF Bay for decades. Downwind is easy, of course.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single