Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:39   #1

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Question About Weight

Good morning all,

Well I have been doing alot of cleaning and even after having the (Dutch) over 18 months i still find stuff on the boat.

I was cleaning out the chain locker and under the floor of it there was another locker than i found 450' of chain and taking this all off the boat i see the water line changed by 8 " , my question is should i put the weight back in or remover it?

If I remove it i will still have 300' of chain and 400' of rope rode, I do not have a windless yet but do plan to get one.

I also have another locker under the 1/4 berth that has 2 other anchers and more chain (I have not checked how long yet).

Thank you all.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:49   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
You always want the boat to be as light as possible. Possibly the previous owner raised the waterline, because of the weight? There is such a thing as overkill with what you take with you.

If you only plan on the Bahamas & Florida. You will most likely be anchoring under 20ft. and 10ft. most of the time. Multiple anchors are good, unless they are too small for your boat. Check with your know it all neighbor...hahahahahahahaha.....i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
How much chain ? good grief take it off and sell it, put the money towards the windlass.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06   #4
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Goodness, what does your trim look like? I also have an OI 33, with that much weight in the bow my rudder would be showing. Do you have some very heavy items in the stern to counterbalance? I have two lengths of chain I've been using to trim the boat as I had been heavy to starboard. If you want to keep I'd move the chain toward the center and low as possible. Having excessive weight in the bow can do bad things in big seas downwind. Will cause bow to bury increasing the chances of pitchpoling.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:28   #5
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
resist!

It has become fashionable among cruisers to carry an anchor two sizes too large for the boat, backed up by chain a size larger than the anchor should require, and to carry 100 meters more rode than needed for 7 to 1 scope in the deepest anchorage likely to be encountered.

These same people will tell you that they need 15 knots of wind, preferably on the beam, before the boat will move. Which means they either motor or motorsail 90% of the time.

Oversizing ground tackle is goofy, your PO was goofy, and carrying that much chain without a windlass is beyond goofy.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
That is unless you are a multi hull, then you carry an anchor two too small for the windage, though not displacement and chain, what's that??
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:16   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
It has become fashionable among cruisers to carry an anchor two sizes too large for the boat, or motorsail 90% of the time.

Oversizing ground tackle is goofy,
I have some friends that broke the rudder on their near new Beneteau after dragging into some rocks a couple of weeks ago that would disagree with your assessment.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:45   #8
CF Adviser

Noelex, you've cut sections out of my original post to create a sentence completely different than anything I composed.

Feel free to disagree with me, but not to misrepresent my writing.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:54   #9
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Call me goofy if you like. I spend 95% of my life on the hook. I have anchor, chain and windlass rated for a boat nearly twice my size and would have it no other way. Riding tropical storms, microbursts etc over a mixed bag requires it. I may sail a little slower but unless my sails are hanging then flogging Ill be sailing. I don't motorsail why put wear on motor and sails at one time.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Noelex, you've cut sections out of my original post to create a sentence completely different than anything I composed.

Feel free to disagree with me, but not to misrepresent my writing.
Sorry, my apologies, I did obviously cut sections out of your original post, but I did not intend to misrepresent your views.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:26   #11
CF Adviser

I'm not at all against heavy anchors and all-chain rodes. I anchor out a great deal myself, and my primary hook is a 25 kilo Rocna with 80 meters of chain (for a 15-ton boat.) I have never yet dragged.

A Morgan OI 33 weighs, what, 8 tons? And the previous owner of Dutch Treat saw fit to outfit her with 750 feet of chain?

It is often said that you don't have a big enough anchor until the fellows in the marina begin making fun of it. Well, I'm the fellow making fun of putting 750 feet of chain on a 33 footer without a windlass. It's goofy.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:17   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I have to agree with Bash, thats a huge amount of chain. I would remove the 450 foot length and any other completely and then split the 300 foot length into 60:40 ratio with 60% in the anchor locker and the remainder low down in the centre of the boat for a second anchor. If you need longer then use rope.

We have 30 metres (100 feet) of newish 8mm (5/16th) backed up with 20 metres of rope on a 31 foot yacht @ 5 tonnes.

As to the windlass do fit one soonest. I can just hand over hand the anchor if the wind is blowing gently but it is hard work without help by motoring up to the anchor. However the manual windlass takes all the strain out of it and if it was blowing old boots then probably essential. A manual will be fine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:59   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Don't forget that for many cruisers their boat is their only home. 365 days a year, in all conditions. They might have to anchor in what shelter they can get in a hurricane. To keep their home safe they carry a lot of gear that they hope they will never need but when, and if, they need it, it is there. I think cruisers that scrimp on ground tackle are much more "goofy" than those that seem to over do it.

The Beneteau 40 First that is in the slip beside me has a 20 something pound Delta on a piece of string on his bow. He only daysails and races. It suits him fine because he never intends to anchor anywhere for any length of time.
Old 04-10-2009, 13:18   #14

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Thank you all,

I have removed the 450' 3/8 chain from the bow and sold it.
I also fould 200' more of the 3/8 in a locker in the back along with 300' of rope and some very large fold up anchor.

what i now have on the boat is 45lb. Danforth with 50' 5/16 chain and 350' 3/4 rope, this is all on the bow, stearn I have that fold up anchor 50' of chain and 170' of rope.

I have to admit the boat looks better sitting there.

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 17:26   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

The Beneteau 40 First that is in the slip beside me has a 20 something pound Delta on a piece of string on his bow. He only daysails and races. It suits him fine because he never intends to anchor anywhere for any length of time.
The biggest boat with the smallest anchor I've seen recently was in the Anacortes Marina. It was a 50 foot powerboat with a 10 pound fake Danforth on the bow roller.

Steve B.
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote