Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2020, 11:12   #16

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC
Re: Questions about a 1972 Pearson 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfreedom View Post
Im a novice to the sailing world. I grew up in South Florida with one foot in the ocean in some sort or another my entire life. I decided to go green and buy a Live-aboard Sailboat.
The 1972 Pearson 36 really caught my eye but the ones Ive seen are expensive (they seem over-priced when considering other boats around that caliber).
What is a fair price for such a boat in decent to good condition?
Is 30-45k about right?

Is there possibly a website to check Sailboat price, sorta like Bluebook for cars?

Can someone please throw me a few ideas for which boats I should be looking for? I dont want something massive as my first boat. Max is 37 feet or there abouts.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
Join BoatUS and take advantage of the boat value check but there are limits to the number of times you use it if I recall. Another is BUC.net but it's pricey.

All the Pearsons are good boats. The 323, 303, 365, 424 and 422 are all designed as cruisers/live aboard boats. 365s are cheap but they are S L O W boats. I have a Pearson 323 that I lived on just fine for about 5 years.

Tartan (early or late) might work for you. Or Columbias, or Allieds, or or or there are tons of designs that would fit he bill. There are tons of Catalinas out there too.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Skylark is a 1973 P-36-1. I overpaid for her, but she had a new Yanmar with 100 hours. I knew I was going to be replacing all the systems and could remedy the leaking leaks, so against the surveyor's advice, I bought in.

I have invested over 60k over a 12 year renovation.

These models were designed as weekend cruiser/racers and they are strong and very fast for their size. The lines are beautiful and don't look anything like a Bavarian bleach bottle.

Short on storage and tankage, but we manage six week cruises in safety and comfort.

Rascal, a P-36 had engine problems and a soggy deck around the mast, she went for 17k, I have seen them offered at 60k.

Properly restored and maintained, they are well worth the price compared to what you get with a newer production boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	skylark.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	443.2 KB
ID:	228076  
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:00   #18

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

There is a pretty crazy deal for a Malo 106 in Maryland right now. Looks like it has some solar, a windgen, and windvane steering. Plus that solid Swedish build quality. Big downside would be the teak decks (although they may be in good shape for all I know). Also the aft cabin is a strange layout, it looks like you access it through a low height tunnel through the head. Regardless, if it's in decent shape, it looks like a really nice deal.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 12:28   #19
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Take a look at the Person 365. Possibly a more robust boat.
Old 03-12-2020, 14:50   #20

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
$35-40k for a Pearson that old is way overpriced unless it has been completely and totally overhauled including, new or very recent engine, good sails, new or recent rigging, interior really clean, no significant core damage in the deck, etc.
That's a lot for that vessel, should be in awesome shape.
Look for spongy decks, esp. Near the sanctions.
Better have a really good engine
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 19:20   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfreedom View Post
Im a novice to the sailing world. I grew up in South Florida with one foot in the ocean in some sort or another my entire life. I decided to go green and buy a Live-aboard Sailboat.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Just a tip about learning to sail. IMO its better to learn in a sailing dinghy if you are agile/ young enough. Its much easier to develop a 'feel' for what you are trying to do. Not saying you cant learn in a keelboat at all, plenty do.
Good idea to read some books on it as well if you are a reader.

Good luck with your search
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 21:41   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Saw this one in your area for much less... https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/84062
While cruising Mexico, I was onboard a Pearson 365. They have a very large interior. The guy sailed it from California to La Paz, Mx. and he was a total novice and was with a friend who was even more of a novice. I think your choice is sound. What ever you decide to buy...GET A SURVEY!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:03   #23

I guess it a similar boat but boating photographer Onne Van der Wal (sp ?) has some great you-tubes on rehab. If you look at that, you will have a better eye on what might be right or wrong with a boat on the Market. Good Luck
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:10   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Onne van der Waal rebuilt a Pearson 36-1, Sailing Uma is a YouTube channel about a Pearson 36-1 and they did a very extensive rebuild, installing new floors, glassing over the "smile", glassing over the hull/deck joint after they removed the toe rail, adding an OceanVolt electric motor and other major changes. Sailing Nymeria gutted the interior of a P36-1 and we are waiting to see what they do.

I interviewed Onne, Dan and Kika and myself, all answering the same questions about our refitting a P36-1. This interview is supposed to be published in Good Old Boat's March 2021 issue.

These boats are heavily built, the mast and boom, stanchions, seacocks, stuffing boxes are all high quality. The masts are keel stepped and so massive I don't think that they can be "bent".

There are some problems that stem from the manufacturing process, but they can be addressed and repaired. Insufficient tabbing was one issue.

All that aside, they have beautiful lines and I regularly get questions and comments about Skylark as Uma is probably the only other P36-1 that is currently in Europe. The lines of a P36 are very similar to a J-36, whether or not that has anything to do with the fact that one of the Pearson founders work with J Boats for a while.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson