Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2024, 20:20   #16

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Re-Rigging my 1966 Spencer 42 Sloop!

Simply installing some filler pieces to prevent the boom from sliding on the track ignores some of the physics that vangs add-in to the equation.
When vangs are strongly pushing up, they exert great tension force that tries to pull the boom away from its track.
When the boom is broad off, the force from the vang, whether pushing up or pulling down, is trying to shear those screws out of the wood.
Those tracks only have a very few wood screws holding them to the mast.
Those types of sliding gooseneck-on-track devices on wood masts were not designed for the forces a powerful vang can induce.
That is one of the reasons I strongly suggested a "clamp" style for a wooden mast, then any load, be it tension, compression, or shear is not taken by just some screws into wood.
Old 25-06-2024, 11:01   #17

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Simply installing some filler pieces to prevent the boom from sliding on the track ignores some of the physics that vangs add-in to the equation.
When vangs are strongly pushing up, they exert great tension force that tries to pull the boom away from its track.
When the boom is broad off, the force from the vang, whether pushing up or pulling down, is trying to shear those screws out of the wood.
Those tracks only have a very few wood screws holding them to the mast.
Those types of sliding gooseneck-on-track devices on wood masts were not designed for the forces a powerful vang can induce.
That is one of the reasons I strongly suggested a "clamp" style for a wooden mast, then any load, be it tension, compression, or shear is not taken by just some screws into wood.

That is exactly my concern with the Vang.

Thinking I will need to either devise some kind of collar setup or possibly a through bolt solution.
Old 25-06-2024, 11:38   #18

I've not seen it with a boom, but I have seen those heavy bronze tracks on the fore side of a wooden mast become bent and pull the screws out that were in the vicinity of the slider.
The slider had the spinnaker pole attached, the boat, while moving along at a good rate put the pole in the water, the wood couldn't withstand that force.
I always have some concern in the back of my mind about thru-bolts, or screws that penetrate into the hollow sections of wood masts.
Most failures of wood masts, (unless the spreaders fail,) are due to water getting inside of them over the long term.
Undoubtedly, the vicinity of the gooseneck is solid, (hopefully properly shaped so that any water coming in from anywhere above it can drain out the base).
That said, be careful with thru bolts.
Old 25-06-2024, 13:34   #19

Quote:
I've not seen it with a boom, but I have seen those heavy bronze tracks on the fore side of a wooden mast become bent and pull the screws out that were in the vicinity of the slider.
The slider had the spinnaker pole attached, the boat, while moving along at a good rate put the pole in the water, the wood couldn't withstand that force.
I always have some concern in the back of my mind about thru-bolts, or screws that penetrate into the hollow sections of wood masts.
Most failures of wood masts, (unless the spreaders fail,) are due to water getting inside of them over the long term.
Undoubtedly, the vicinity of the gooseneck is solid, (hopefully properly shaped so that any water coming in from anywhere above it can drain out the base).
That said, be careful with thru bolts.

I would say you are absolutely right there, if I were to through bolt it, I would use G-10 tube and epoxy it all the way through not leaving any place for water to get in.

Also once I figure out what I am doing with my prop shaft it will determine my budget for the mast and rigging, It would be nice to find an aluminum mast to put on her and completely solve the issue that way, but it may not happen or be necessary.
Old 25-06-2024, 15:38   #20

The solid "filler piece" for the gooseneck, (and the spreaders,) that are installed inside the mast when it is assembled are generally, (if properly shaped,) consist of what resembles two four-sided truncated cone pyramids with a solid section in the middle to take the gooseneck fasteners, the upper one being "upside down"
They're generally one piece, but that's not a given.
A hole is drilled for drainage thru that part, the upper "pyramid" forces any water above it to the center drain hole.
Both upper and lower "pyramids" serve to spread-out the loads so that forces are not concentrated in one spot.
My statement about "be careful with thru bolts", is that you must not have that drain hole blocked by a bolt or a G10 tube, otherwise disaster is in the making., the mast will rot from inside water that can't drain.
Another concern that may-or-may-not be applicable, are there any internal wires? (Lord have mercy if you drill thru a wire).
If it's at all possible the "clamp" arrangement alleviates all fears.
Old 25-06-2024, 18:09   #21

Quote:
The solid "filler piece" for the gooseneck, (and the spreaders,) that are installed inside the mast when it is assembled are generally, (if properly shaped,) consist of what resembles two four-sided truncated cone pyramids with a solid section in the middle to take the gooseneck fasteners, the upper one being "upside down"
They're generally one piece, but that's not a given.
A hole is drilled for drainage thru that part, the upper "pyramid" forces any water above it to the center drain hole.
Both upper and lower "pyramids" serve to spread-out the loads so that forces are not concentrated in one spot.
My statement about "be careful with thru bolts", is that you must not have that drain hole blocked by a bolt or a G10 tube, otherwise disaster is in the making., the mast will rot from inside water that can't drain.
Another concern that may-or-may-not be applicable, are there any internal wires? (Lord have mercy if you drill thru a wire).
If it's at all possible the "clamp" arrangement alleviates all fears.

This is what worries me right now as she does not have a great system to drain out the inside of the mast, it simply fills up the bulkhead and when the mast comes down I am going to be tearing that apart to investigate how bad it is. Hopefully it is just the bit of De-lam on the decorative plywood, not rot on the inside.

Tags
enc, rigging, sloop