Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2021, 12:12   #1

Ready to take the plunge! Need advice

Dream: Live on a boat during the winter, Take it from there. May go full time in a year or two after.

Experience: none. I have never been on a sail boat of any kind. I do plan to charter in the coming weeks and look forward to learning.

I have been watching videos, reading, wanting to do this for a few years. I just got back from Florida and I saw a boat I liked..... With no knowledge of sailing I wanted to write a check and get started sink or swim... It was a 37' Cherubini Cutter that seemed to check all the boxes I wanted. At the last minute I decided to simply pass because I really need to pick the right starter boat and I need to spend more time researching.

I am a renaissance man. I have overhauled diesel engines, Have extensive knowledge of electronics and perform component level board repair under a microscope daily. Have a solar powered golf cart and have built lithium power packs with battery management. I used to own rental property and taught myself HVAC, brazed in compressors , plumbing, remodel, you name it I did it. If it's made by man I can pretty much do it.

My first boat I don't want to be a major project boat. I want one with fairly new rigging, good sails and well maintained. Age is not important to me as long as it sails well and has been well maintained by a cruiser if possible. Something with all kinds of spare parts stashed away and something that has not been neglected for years.

My question to the forum is: What would make a good starter boat for me? I want something I can live on and if I decide boat life is for me I could grow with the boat and even do a blue water crossing. If I really like cruising and want to go full time I continue to use this boat until I decide to upgrade.

I want something I can single hand and something that sails well. What boats would you guys recommend I look at?
blue dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:48   #2

Boat: Douglas 32, duh...32'
Re: Ready to take the plunge! Need advice

Ahoy Blue Dreams:

I strongly suggest you seek psychiatric help immediately!
There may yet be time to save you from yourself.

Posted by someone who took a 1-year-sabbatical and didn't move back ashore for SEVEN Years.
Enfant Du Vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 12:52   #3

I take comfort knowing that I am not alone.
Old 13-08-2021, 12:55   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Just be prepared to gain weight.

If you are thin already, you are good to go.

You can buy boats from $1,000 - $250,000 or more. It just depends on your budget.

http://bluewaterboats.org/

Sometimes the guy with the $1,000 boat is the one that crosses several oceans while the guy with the expensive boat hangs at the dock and does gain weight. I've seen it many times.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:28   #5

I am fat now! I have been swimming and training to get into shape so I can live on the hook at key west this winter
Old 13-08-2021, 13:38   #6

As a person with similar ambitions I wish you luck! Started sailing last year by taking a ASA 101 and have been messing around on the Columbia river aboard a rental Catalina 22. Hoping to do a live aboard course and get my bareboat cert next summer then buy a boat to refit over a couple years.. slow boat for sure.
Ex Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2021, 13:41   #7

Dealing With Possible Sea Sickness:
Comment made by Irving Johnson, who did multiple round the world sailing voyages.
In his opening comments to a large auditorium full of avid wannabees, he said, "Make sure you have pineapple for dessert on your last meal ashore. It's the only food known to Man that tastes the same coming up as it did going down."
Old 13-08-2021, 14:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dreams View Post
I am fat now! I have been swimming and training to get into shape so I can live on the hook at key west this winter
So how do you think living on the hook will help?

You have no place to exercise and sometimes get very little sleep so you don't feel like doing anything and it goes from there.

Sailing and actual cruising is very good for your body but folks these days don't seem to do it much.

it's more hanging around on the hook or at a marina and being on the internet
Old 13-08-2021, 14:37   #9

I plan to bee off the hook as much as possible learning.
Old 13-08-2021, 14:40   #10

Living On The Hook
One way to get exercise "on the hook" is to buy a "hard" dinghy and row to-and-from shore.

BONUS: All that money you save from not buying a zodiac-and-outboard can be spent on rum or wine <grin>
Old 13-08-2021, 14:41   #11

Quote:
I plan to bee off the hook as much as possible learning.
If you want to learn, get a sunfish or laser.

Or do you want to learn to tinker around with the systems on your boats which it appears most "cruisers" would rather do than actually sail/cruise.

If that's the case, get a larger boat.
Old 13-08-2021, 22:10   #12

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

There are many boats that fit your criteria. Everyone has favorites, usually the one they own. Everyone has their favorite definition of cruising, usually how they do it.
The best advice I can offer is go to marinas and docks and see if anyone is willing to take you on a sail. Get aboard as many different boats and styles of boats as possible. See what you like and will fit your needs and definition of cruising.
When you find what's right for you, the rest(like exercise) falls into place pretty easily.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 09:36   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Dream: Live on a boat during the winter, Take it from there. May go full time in a year or two after.

Experience: none. I have never been on a sail boat of any kind. I do plan to charter in the coming weeks and look forward to learning.

I have been watching videos, reading, wanting to do this for a few years. I just got back from Florida and I saw a boat I liked..... With no knowledge of sailing I wanted to write a check and get started sink or swim... It was a 37' Cherubini Cutter that seemed to check all the boxes I wanted. At the last minute I decided to simply pass because I really need to pick the right starter boat and I need to spend more time researching.

I am a renaissance man. I have overhauled diesel engines, Have extensive knowledge of electronics and perform component level board repair under a microscope daily. Have a solar powered golf cart and have built lithium power packs with battery management. I used to own rental property and taught myself HVAC, brazed in compressors , plumbing, remodel, you name it I did it. If it's made by man I can pretty much do it.

My first boat I don't want to be a major project boat. I want one with fairly new rigging, good sails and well maintained. Age is not important to me as long as it sails well and has been well maintained by a cruiser if possible. Something with all kinds of spare parts stashed away and something that has not been neglected for years.

My question to the forum is: What would make a good starter boat for me? I want something I can live on and if I decide boat life is for me I could grow with the boat and even do a blue water crossing. If I really like cruising and want to go full time I continue to use this boat until I decide to upgrade.

I want something I can single hand and something that sails well. What boats would you guys recommend I look at?
Your covering the waterfront with your desires; liveaboard to bluewater cruiser, good condition with lots of spare parts, etc. Narrow your focus.

Your choice will be among boats that are available so get out there and start looking...there are no shortcuts worth mentioning. You'll know it when you view it.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2021, 09:46   #14

Boat: Nonsuch 354

My first boat I don't want to be a major project boat.

Lesson number 1: They are all project boats.
Old 14-08-2021, 10:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seawind 1600 52'

You sound like the majority of my students. I, as do others, offer Week-long Live Aboard Sailing classes. Choose an ASA school, as they have laid it out very well, with each level being the step to the next. I had an easier time on the USCG navigation getting my commercial captain's license than I did on ASA 105 (their advanced navigation) instructor qualification test. I have also sailed with some old timers that sometimes do things in a less than efficient (or sometimes slightly dangerous!) way.
But there are schools everywhere. And if you do get ASA certification, you can then charter a wide variety of boats and get a feel that way. Basically.... you can wade in a bit without "taking the plunge".

Best of Luck in our endeavor!
Captain Scott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice