Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2018, 06:14   #31

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Reasonable Payload for a 40' Mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big2small View Post
Hallberg-Rassy has a nice way to determine the, wat I would call “cosmetic,” waterline.

They build the boat and add the options such as generator etc, then they put it in the water and just mark the waterline, which will be different for every combination of options. These marks determine where they stick the striping and maybe other cosmetic details. As a consequence this also determines up to where the antifouling will reach.
I strongly suspect that Valiant did exactly the same thing given the variety of options and fit out that were available.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 10:51   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Reasonable Payload for a 40' Mono

Jim-
I have seen Bob's plans for the Islander28. Which among other things had a keel-stepped mast. And I've seen the boat itself--which Islander built with a crazy offset-supported deck-stepped mast.
What the designer designs, and what a builder builds, are not necessarily the same thing. The builder may have all sorts of reasons, and the designer may be contracted out, or perhaps on salary in-house, and available to polish things off without running up more billable hours. The two are not necessarily equal "partners" in the boats.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa