Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2009, 17:31   #1

Recognize this Boat?

I was recently given an older sailboat and I have no clue what type of brand or model this is. I have attached some pictures. It's in pretty poor shape but i'm hoping to restore it. There is no identification # to go off of. All I know is that it's a daysailer. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
Casey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	505.4 KB
ID:	8210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	503.3 KB
ID:	8211  

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	487.6 KB
ID:	8212   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0011.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	8213  

Name:	PIC-0013.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	8214   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC-0014.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	8215  

cwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 18:39   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
what it's not

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwagner View Post
All I know is that it's a daysailer.
Well, it's not a Daysailer, as in an O'day Daysailor.

If you can find a serial-number-type-code on the transom, it should be easy to determine the manufacturer from the 1st three letters.
Old 24-05-2009, 08:40   #3

I thought the style of the boat was a daysailer, meaning a small boat that doesn't have sleeping accomidations, but it's bigger than a dinghy (I could be wrong though). I looked everywhere on the transom and couldn't find and sort of serial number.
Old 24-05-2009, 09:29   #4

It seems like it's set up for racing as well as day sailing. It's not a Flying Scot, but it's a similar boat. The Flying Scot is 19 feet long and a very active one design class. Never saw a boat like this before. Do you have any sails for it? Maybe an insignia on the mainsail?

Other than some dirt and what appears to be damage on the port quarter rail, what's wrong with it?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2009, 19:45   #5

I have sailed a flying scott and very much enjoy those boats. I measured this one and it's just over 18 ft. I agree that it seems like it could be used for racing. I love the open design and I think this boat will hold 4 comfortably. I'm going to post a picture of the sail soon to see if that will give any clues. It has a logo that I don't recognize.

Before I got the boat, it had been abandoned on a property and left uncovered for about two years. There was a foot of standing water in it and everything was covered in algae. The sails were thrown in the bottom of the boat under all the water and rigging. Fortunately, the actual fiberglass shell is still in tact and I was able to salvage the front half of the boat. But the gunnels, which were made of wood, were rotten. I have taken out both gunnels and stripped it down to the fiberglass. I have just sanded all the old epoxy and I'm ready to start rebuilding. Once I do that, I'll be ready to start experimenting with fiberglass. I hope to be done sometime this summer. Anyway, I'll get a picture of a sail in a couple days.

Thanks
Old 24-05-2009, 20:56   #6

The boat has several unusual features. One the hard chines, which made me initially think it might be a plywood kit boat, but I'm sure it's fiberglass. Two, the stainless steel handholds, and three the hatch. Hope you can bring her back to life without too much trouble. Unless someone happens to know the boat, I think the only real clue will be a class logo.

In the last photo that you posted, it appears that the entire cockpit has been removed. Was that made of wood?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote