Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2007, 09:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 320
Recommendation for a used boat?

Greetings. This is my first post.

I am an experienced small boat handler of 25+ years (mostly Flying Scots). I owned a J24 for a few years about 15 years ago. I've skippered about 10 charters on the Chesapeake and in the BVIs on boats ranging from 30' monohulls to a 48' cat.

I want my own boat but am budget-challenged. If you had $25K and wanted a used boat that could comfortably sleep four what would you be after? It will be used exclusively on the Chesapeake Bay. I don't need to go fast but I don't want to sail a pig, either.

Any thoughts, tips, things to watch out for, or links would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Kevin
Popeye21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 10:32   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome P21!

I don't have any specific recommendation for you, but I would point out that you should be prepared for a barrage of responses from self-interested boat sellers who will tell you that their boat is exactly what you need, and will have an almost endless list of reasons why.

Best of luck in your search, and again, welcome.

TaoJones
Old 26-06-2007, 10:49   #3

Boat: Beneteau 456
I think you should at least let us know about your taste for boats. Classic, european, ketch, yawl????? etc...
avazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 11:11   #4

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
I agree with the above. It helps to know where you are planning to sail(the Bay, the ocean??), what you are comfortable with(backpack life style, camper, or the 4 seasons), time frames( weekends, day, months), trailer or non,etc. Each of these and many more will provide a whole direction for the type of boat and what may possibly fit into you price range.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:09   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Popeye,
The subject you speak of has been covered a lot of times on the forum. I always start with a search in eBay Motors under sailboat. That gives you a bunch of choices to look at. Then you can ask folks about this boat and that boat to hear opinions.
Its good to look in marinas too to pick a style you might like then ask questions.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 12:39   #6

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye21

I want my own boat but am budget-challenged. If you had $25K and wanted a used boat that could comfortably sleep four what would you be after? It will be used exclusively on the Chesapeake Bay. I don't need to go fast but I don't want to sail a pig, either.
Yo Kevin,

for the Chesapeake you might want to consider a keel/centerboard boat, or at least one with a shoal draft. $25K is plenty of budget for a used boat in the 30-foot range.

best, andy
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 14:05   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
For the Bay 30 ft would be a good start but I have friends that cruise the Bay on 27 and 28's. Personally I think 33 to 36 is the perfect size. In your budget I would forget about brand and look at condition. Some 30 ft boats from the early 1980's may be more like what you could get. Other boats larger might actually be 1970's boats and that may require some refit work. Sails, standing rigging, running rigging, and most equipment unless updated would be all suspect. Engines could be OK though and the basic hull should have no problems that would stop you sailing the Bay.

You really need to work a budget and include all the basic stuff like slip fees, insurance, expenses, and tarvel to and from the boat. Work all the numbers that really won't change no matter what boat you get then sit down and start the budget with any prospective boat. Work the numbers before you fall in love. It's all supposed to be fun!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 15:05   #8

I just bought my first sailboat, actually closing on it either tomorrow of Thursday.

Our needs were very similar to yours. We wanted a cheap, reliable boat that would enable us to gain sailing experience here on Lake Lanier without requiring lots of immediate maintenance and that would allow our family of 4 to spend weekends on the boat. We didnt need a super rugged blue water boat, but something simple and easy to sail.

We purchased a 1983 Hunter 34' Sloop. $26,500. She is in very nice shape as a survey I had done confirmed. Interior offers plenty of space, she sails great in light winds and is easy to handle, she has a good battery bank, inverter, microwave, refrigerator, stereo and is overall very nice inside with one some minor scattered gelcoat blemishes outside. The kind of boat we can sail about for 2-3 years and then sell for what we paid.

We are naming her "First Step". Next boat will be bigger... and we will go much farther.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 15:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Terry's advice is a good one. Hunter is a good first boat.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 16:08   #10

Echo Terry on the old H34s. These are some of the most popular boats ever made and as a result it’s relatively easy to comparison shop. Typical asking prices are 25-35K. These boats provide excellent accommodations for their length and vintage; and they are outstanding light wind performers - as good or better than just about any comparable length cruiser class boat. They came in a 5' 6" and 4' 3 " draft version. For some owner reviews, go here:

Hunter 34 owner reviews
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 18:29   #11

I'd suggest you look at C&C 27's or 30's. Great boats that perform nicely and can handle four crew reasonably well.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2007, 22:41   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
If $25k is your all up budget I would look for the best $20k boat I could find and drop $5k into the rigging and safety items on day one.

Just my humble opinion.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 06:57   #13

Boat: Catalina 320
Great feedback - Thanks!

Thanks so much for the great tips (especially given that different versions of this same question are asked all the time).

The tips on specific boats are particularly helpful. Knowing which boats have a rep for longevity and quality is the kind of thing that is hard to find when researching this upcoming purchase.

I was asked what kind of sailing I'll be doing and about my taste in boats. It will range from daysailing to weeklong Chesapeake Bay cruises, but most typical will be simple overnights. As far as type of boat, I guess a classic, single-masted sloop is what I'm looking for. I'd like it to be able to sleep four adults relatively comfortably. And speaking of comfort, I don't want to sacrifice speed entirely, but comfort (while sailing, docked or moored) is definitely higher on the list these days than going fast (my old J24 was fast, but not really comfortable -- been there, done that).

A shoal draft, fixed-keel boat would be ideal, but it will not be trailered very often. I plan to keep it in the water in-season and out of the water at the same marina though the winter.

Keep those tips coming! And thanks again.

Kevin
Popeye21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 14:32   #14

For sleeping 4 comfortably on your budget...I would look for a center cockpit boat...maybe an Irwin/oday or S2. All good bayboats.
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12   #15

Boat: Cal 34 & Pearson 424
I sail the Chesapeake

Hi - you definitely want something that does well in light air, as mid-summer tends to be pretty wind-less. I have a Cal 34; paid $20 for it 5 years back, but have put at least $10,000 in it - much of that discretionary.
Check out the Catalinas - 30 -34 feet. You will see lots of them on the Bay and it's fun to belong to a "model" club.

Good luck!
s/v Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote