Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 09:40   #16

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: Recommendation on outboard for small dinghy

Sorry! W/o battery
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 09:53   #17

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaya31 View Post
I'm thinking of buying an outboard for my 8' inflatable.
I've been looking at the Honda 2.3 hp, the Tohatsu and Suzuki 2.5 hp and maybe the 2.5 Yamaha.
I'm leaning away from the Honda because it's air cooled.
I want a four stroke. I think I'd prefer water cooled. I think all of these are four stroke now.
I like the idea that the Suzuki weighs only 29#.
The Tohatsu seems to have a good reputation but it's heavier @ 41#. It's also about $120 more expensive than the Suzuki.
I haven't seen a weight on the Yamaha.
I'd appreciate any comments and insights on these four motors.
With an 8' inflatable dingy, I'll assume this is just for inner harbor transportation as opposed to towing water toys. I suggest you check . https://liquidsurfandsail.com/epropu...bkQAvD_BwEThey They do make the Spirit 1.0, which is lighter but not quit as powerful. These are very quiet and cost about the same as a small petrol outboard with no maintenance, are very light and can be broken down for easy transportation.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 09:59   #18

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I looked at the Navy Short shaft- with Tiller, separate battery and motor- over $6k. The Spirit 1.0 seem to be sold out, with exception of Extra Short shaft (only 20”)
The Plus is 48v with 1276 wh battery at around $2k
We use our Walker Bay hard Bottom 10’ for shore hops and going to
Our mooring- we don’t need to get on a ‘plane’ and reviews peg top speed around 5mph.
And that matches the typical ave. Speed of our B38.8
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:25   #19

Assuming you have a way to charge the battery onboard, I agree with the Torquedo. It's wonderful to not worry about keeping gas aboard. And the almost silence makes the whole dinghy experience much nicer.

Of the gasoline outboards, I continue to hear great things about the newer Suzukis.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 10:59   #20

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I had a Yamaha 4hp (4 stroke) on the back of an Avon Rover 310 dinghy. It was heavy and loud, but ran great with never any issues.

Then I had a Honda 2 longshaft on the back of a Siren 17. It was awesome. Never any issues. Did not burn or leak oil. Only really noisy at WOT. At half throttle, which was most of the time, it was fine. Simple, light, reliable. My teen daughter could start it easily. Fuel consumption measured in ounces. Absolutely loved it.

Now I have the newer Honda 2.3 on the back of an Avon Rover 280 dinghy. It is 100% reliable. Simple and light engine. Does not burn or leak oil. I've heard some horror stories about the Honda 2.3, but that is not my experience. When I pulled it out of storage this spring, it started on the first pull. I find the 2.3 gives me the same speed as the Yamaha 4 I had, but weighs half as much. Fuel consumption is almost nothing...unless you open up to WOT.

I like that I can start up the honda in my backyard (no water required).

I'm told that the honda is desirable to thieves, so I take precautions. But I think that's true for any small outboard.

With any of these small 4 stroke outboards, draining the carb before a period of non-use (1 week or more for me) keeps the carb clean and avoids the most common problems.

As a solo sailor, the engine weight is a big deal. Moving the outboard between the stern rail and the dinghy gets really difficult when the outboard is too heavy. I also moved to a slightly smaller dinghy for the same reasons.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:07   #21

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

The Honda 2.3 has had some problems with the EPA approved fuel caps not venting. Buy a Honda 2 fuel cap to resolve the problem. Better yet, get the Suzuki. It really is a lot quieter.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:36   #22

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplight View Post
I looked at the Navy Short shaft- with Tiller, separate battery and motor- over $6k. The Spirit 1.0 seem to be sold out, with exception of Extra Short shaft (only 20”)
The Plus is 48v with 1276 wh battery at around $2k
We use our Walker Bay hard Bottom 10’ for shore hops and going to
Our mooring- we don’t need to get on a ‘plane’ and reviews peg top speed around 5mph.
And that matches the typical ave. Speed of our B38.8
Why would you need the extra battery? This thing will go for hours at 4knots
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 11:40   #23

Thank all of you for your comments. I'm getting some good input. And it's helpful.
Kumbaya31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 12:56   #24

Boat: Nordic 44

Weight is an important issue. 29 lbs is a lot easier to manhandle into a dinghy, assuming no motor hoist. . Depends too on how you lower it, wether off the stern or off the beam with a halyard. Electric has great appeal for this reason. The weight is split into two packages.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:26   #25

I've managed small to med. yachts and always looked for the most hp per weight because I'd have to move them about, take them here and there. I had a couple of 2 stroke Yamahas, I think 8 hp, that were terrific. Easy to service, easy to repair. I had a new owner give one away in favor of a 4 stroke, same hp. I was stunned that in name of not mixing oil to fuel, it became a back breaker ! I guess 2 stroke motors are very hard to come by now. Banned in the US ? They used to be available in the Bahamas but I don't know if that's now or not. I have had some clients buy the lower hp Torqueedos and they have loved them except where they think they need to plane a 10' rib with 4 people aboard. I look for improvements like that with electric outboards.
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 15:03   #26

Boat: Beneteau 423 2006

I put a 9.9hp Mercury on my Tuffy tender. Doubles as a fishing vessel.
Blakhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 16:55   #27

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I would be buying a Honda BECAUSE it is air cooled. Most problems with outboards are the result of clogged water cooling, most corrosion comes from that same source, and the air-cooled motor is lighter, has no impeller to wear out or break, no thermostat to fail, and is SIMPLER..

My next out board will be a HONDA and I have had a few two stroke water cooled outboards at one time or another. Any outboard is good when it goes, and the little Honda goes--and goes--and goes.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 19:12   #28

I'm STILL using my 1996 Johnson 3.3 two stroke. The Timex of small engines. Nothing seems to kill it and annual maintenance is a breeze and easily done by any backyard mechanic (ie: you..) Many still available if you look. Parts are easy to obtain when needed.
raclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 20:24   #29

Boat: Grand Banks 32

I have had a Suzuki 2.5 4-stroke for a few years now and really like it. I picked it mostly for the light weight. It goes on a 9.5' inflatable and with one person aboard can easily hit 4 to 4.5 kts. Reverse by spinning the whole motor around is fine once you get used to it.
I ONLY use non-ethanol fuel. It uses so little gas that I don't mind paying $20/gal at home depot, but you can also get non-ethanol fuel at any small civilian air field. It's av-gas. No -ethanol fuel lasts forever and doesn't damage the rubber hoses and cause tiny rubber particles to clog the carb.

All in all, I'd buy one again.

Oldersalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumbaya31 View Post
I'm thinking of buying an outboard for my 8' inflatable.
I've been looking at the Honda 2.3 hp, the Tohatsu and Suzuki 2.5 hp and maybe the 2.5 Yamaha.
I'm leaning away from the Honda because it's air cooled.
I want a four stroke. I think I'd prefer water cooled. I think all of these are four stroke now.
I like the idea that the Suzuki weighs only 29#.
The Tohatsu seems to have a good reputation but it's heavier @ 41#. It's also about $120 more expensive than the Suzuki.
I haven't seen a weight on the Yamaha.
I'd appreciate any comments and insights on these four motors.
oldersalt1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 20:35   #30

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have an 8hp mariner on our 3.6m alum hull RIB. this enough to get up and plane with 2 people, although usually not with 3 or more...

most important from our point of view is that it's two stroke ie simple & LIGHT. understand that two stroke O/boards are no longer allowed, so intend to keep this one going as long as we can.

cheers,

Tags
dinghy, men, outboard