Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 07:56   #1

Recommendations for a boat with shade and shelter while sailing?

Hi all,
I am looking for a recommendation for a 33-43 foot, heavy, blue water liveaboard cruiser, singlehandable (sp?), with decent performance and crucially a good shelter while sailing. I prefer a hard shelter with removable sides like the Nicholson 38 because 1) I have very sun sensitive skin, and 2) I live in Northern Europe and often get bad weather and storms even in summer.

Some other boats it seems the main sheet will get in the way of any kind of added/modded shelter. Maybe the main sheet could be moved to the top of a custom hard top, but it's a bit technical for me as I'm pretty new to sailing.

Are there other Nicholson 38-ish boats out there? Or others that can accept this type of shelter modification?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nicholson38 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	219143  
Rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:56   #2

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"
Re: Recommendations for a boat with shade and shelter while sailing?

Look at Hunters with the arch mounted main sheet and travelled. I sail a 2000 Hunter 460 which a little larger than you mentioned but easy to single hand and certified blue water capable boat. Some people bad mouth Hunter’s but I’ve delivered multiple builders boats and like my Hunter better than most. It sails well and strikes a great balance between price, performance and comfort.
Soldout2sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 09:32   #3

Re: Recommendations for a boat with shade and shelter while sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldout2sailing View Post
Look at Hunters with the arch mounted main sheet and travelled. I sail a 2000 Hunter 460 which a little larger than you mentioned but easy to single hand and certified blue water capable boat. Some people bad mouth Hunter’s but I’ve delivered multiple builders boats and like my Hunter better than most. It sails well and strikes a great balance between price, performance and comfort.
Soldout2sailing,
Sorry I should have mentioned my budget is around 30K

The arch looks promising. I wonder if it is much trouble to have one just added on to something like a Moody or Westerly, or an older Hunter?
Rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men, sail, sailing